Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be purchasing a Charger here soon, and I'm currently stuck between two options. The first is a 2010 SRT8 with 31K Miles on it, listed at 31,500. The other is going with a 2014 R/T. I test drove both, and I've found that the SRT8 is way more comfortable the the 2014. I felt cramped in the 2014. Hence, I'm leaning towards the SRT8, which would probably be a bit cheaper than the 2014.

I'm curious as to what everyone's opinion is. I've done some research, and it seems that older model SRT8's are pretty uncommon to have for sale. This one happens to be 10 minutes from my house, and has a good history. However, my dad, whom is helping me purchase the car as part of my college graduation, thinks I should get a brand new 2014 rather than a used car. I'm personally leaning towards the 2010, as a 2014 with comparable options runs a lot higher. We're trying to stay as close to 30K as possible, but my dad would be willing to go higher for a new car.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Personally I believe the 2014 is leap years ahead of the 2010 for interior and tech. The R/T would be 370hp, 2010 SRT would be 425hp. The seats with the bigger bolster sides are VERY comfortable in the 2010 only because it's an SRT. The R/T doesn't have that bolstering.

Really it's a tough call... Both awesome cars.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
If he can find a 2014 RT road and track it will have the same bolstering as the srt...the road and track seats are the srt seats, they just don't have srt embroidered in the seats themselves.

I agree I think the 2014 would be a better buy. But at this point you could wait for the 2015s which will be coming out soon. They're supposed to have the 8-speed transmission/hemi combo and get a slight power bump. The 15s will be out soon, you won't have to wait very long. Ordering one is also an idea...you could choose exactly what you want the car to have.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
412 Posts
2014 will come with a warranty, have nicer tech, and if you wait until the 15's release you should see a price dip on 14's. That's not for some months now mind you.

I vote for the newer vehicle. R/T Road and Track with Beats Audio and you should be set.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
You won't go wrong either way but consider that the new car will depreciate rapidly while the SRT has already done the first big drop in value. At 31K miles, the SRT is just barely broken in.

Buy the one you like best since you have to drive it. The argument can be made on both sides but in the end, neither one wins the debate. It's what you like best in this situation.

Oh yeah, the 2010 is an SRT...the other one isn't... ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was faced with a similar dilemna. A 2006 daytona rt practically brand new from a collector with 2000 miles vs a 2006 srt8 with 60,000 miles. All here at the forum said srt8. I went with it based on personal taste and the opinions here. I am happy with my car. But most now say to you go with the newer rt. Go figure.
Do what you feel. A dealer mechanic told me after I got the srt8 that I should have gone with the newer rt daytona. 2000 miles ???? Are you nuts he said. So much for opinions. But I love my srt8 though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was in a similar situation last month, test driving a '12 Super Bee before deciding on a '14 R/T Road and Track. The big difference for me was that the SRT was a lot more loud and in-your-face. The R/T will remind you that it's a sporty car with a big engine when you drive it like one. An SRT will do so constantly, even during the most mundane driving tasks. Whether that's a good thing is completely a matter of personal preference, but since my car has to fill "family sedan" and "commuter car" roles in addition to being a fun ride, I went the R/T route.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It is definitely my own opinion, but when faced with the choice last Summer to replace my 06 R/T, I went looking for the best '10 I could find, it happened to be an R/T R&T that was sold new in '11. I can afford a brand new '14, but I still like the older model's styling better... and it was actually 1/2 the price of a new car for 25k miles on the odometer! So again it is a matter of taste, but the depreciation does factor in to make it the best value. More money left for mods!

Ben

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I believe most has been covered, but I will have to agree that the bolsters make a world of difference. So if, you can find a 2014 R&T in your price range, I say get it over the 2010 SRT.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
What type of driver are you?

If you like to go brisk and value tech, go new R/T

If you like max performance, go SRT8

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Id go 11+ if your already entertaining a used car look for a 2012, 2013 R/T with super low miles and grab a steal with a newer body and the warranty. I was thinking about an older SRT8 but after owning a 2nd gen I really dont seem to have that same feeling for the 1st gens. New is nice if thats your thing but really there is no point in buying new unless you get insane good financing (Like 0%) otherwise your spending a lot of money for that "New Car smell" that is in any 1-2 year old car.

Plus having a rear end that is reminiscent of a Millennium Falcon is just way to cool to pass up!

·
Registered
37 Posts
The new RTs are selling for 26k at the dealership near me. I suppose it comes down to the styling preference. The 11+ are much more refined and have a lot more comforts that the first gen didnt offer. RTs are still pretty rare to see. There are 8 other LX cars in my apartment complex and I'm the only one with a Hemi.

Also like someone else said, the 14 will come with a warranty. Do you plan on driving this car into the ground or just a few years and upgrade to something else?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I vote for the 2010 SRT. It's the newest of the 1st gen body, so it's not that old. I drive a 2010 R/T AWD, and sometimes I wish I had gone with the SRT (except in winter when I am glad I went with the AWD) because the amount of money I've spent on upgrades would have come with the SRT already. Seeing as how you've joined this forum, it's only a matter of time before the inevitable and incurable mod bug hits you... To get the suspension and brembos and the hp you get from the SRT onto an R/T will cost a lot of time and money.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
With some superbees he may be sacrificing tech and other creature comforts. Looks like that car has sold though. If the OP can find a superbee with the 8.4N and the HID fog lamps for under 35k it is the perfect choice. But if it doesn't come with the 8.4N and the factory HIDs I wouldn't touch it...but that's just me. He mentioned comfort level of seats also...the superbee seats aren't comfortable at all, at least from my experience. Still a badass powerful car for a great price none the less.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
It's interesting that the OP posted this question 2 days ago but after a bunch of responses hasn't returned to engage in the conversation.

We have been getting a lot of 1 post hit-and-run new members lately.

It makes me wonder if he was...

Either that or he wasn't really serious in getting the information and joined to post the question on a whim. :dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
With some superbees he may be sacrificing tech and other creature comforts. Looks like that car has sold though. If the OP can find a superbee with the 8.4N and the HID fog lamps for under 35k it is the perfect choice. But if it doesn't come with the 8.4N and the factory HIDs I wouldn't touch it...but that's just me. He mentioned comfort level of seats also...the superbee seats aren't comfortable at all, at least from my experience. Still a badass powerful car for a great price none the less.

You can always get better seats but the difference in power, handling, and braking between a Bee and a R/T is incredible

Over a second faster in the 1/4 mile is not even a race

no comparison

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
You can always get better seats but the difference in power, handling, and braking between a Bee and a R/T is incredible

Over a second faster in the 1/4 mile is not even a race

no comparison

I agree with you...all of those things could be added relatively inexpensively but it all depends on this guy's priorities.

I must say the braking on the new road and tracks is pretty damn impressive...still not brembo impressive

I'm not really seeing any 2012 bees sitting around in my neck of the woods. Lots of 2013 bees untouched but for some reason they aren't discounting them. SRTs from 06-10 and 11+ are a rarity out here, 2011+ RTs are also a rarity. 2006-2010 RTs along with 6 cylinders of all ages are both very common.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I agree with you...all of those things could be added relatively inexpensively but it all depends on this guy's priorities.

I must say the braking on the new road and tracks is pretty damn impressive...still not brembo impressive

I'm not really seeing any 2012 bees sitting around in my neck of the woods. Lots of 2013 bees untouched but for some reason they aren't discounting them. SRTs from 06-10 and 11+ are a rarity out here, 2011+ RTs are also a rarity. 2006-2010 RTs along with 6 cylinders of all ages are both very common.

You are not making a R/T as fast as a Super Bee without spending a LOT of money. It is not a tune and some light mods away from catching a Bee.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts