Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just plugged my beauty with Iridium IX Spark Plugs and she is loving me for it.
Some knuckle blood, but worth it. She has never run this good!

After plugging and cleanup, the only problem is the check engine light is staying on.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Do the key dance and pull the codes:
On-acc-on-acc-on (not start, just on)

In the odometer, the display will change to ----, then display any codes, then dONE. Post the codes and maybe we can figure out what the CEL is for.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do the key dance and pull the codes:
On-acc-on-acc-on (not start, just on)

In the odometer, the display will change to ----, then display any codes, then dONE. Post the codes and maybe we can figure out what the CEL is for.
-4-11

H923

Is it life threatening?

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
I'm not finding codes anything like those in the service manual. There are no "H" codes at all. Hopefully someone else will chime in......

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just used my predator and it pulled a P0113. [Intake Air Temperature [IAT] Sensor Circuit High Voltage]

I removed the air intake when I installed the plugs.

I repositioned the the sensor and NO LIGHT!!

Diablo Predator....no man should be without one.

Thanks for all the help out there. You all are a great group!:headbang:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Dodge also recommends using traditional spark plugs rather than platinum or iridium. They burn to hot and can flash an oxygen sensor error. Thats why the spark plugs that are in there from factory are only traditional copper.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Dodge also recommends using traditional spark plugs rather than platinum or iridium. They burn to hot and can flash an oxygen sensor error. Thats why the spark plugs that are in there from factory are only traditional copper.
Then why are the 6.1L Hemi Engines have Platinum Plugs installed at the Factory?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
PLatinum plugs are made in varying heat ranges, and buying the correct platinum plug will burn no hotter than the stock copper plugs will. The only difference is a MUCH longer consistency in the gap on the electrode which can only result in cleaner emmisions, better fuel economy, and longer service intervals for the plugs.

·
Registered
522 Posts
So the CEL is gone, did it come back at all? This is something i've been wanting to do for a while, but all I've heard is people getting CEL's from changing to a different plug.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the CEL is gone, did it come back at all? This is something i've been wanting to do for a while, but all I've heard is people getting CEL's from changing to a different plug.

Light has not come back and it runs smoooooooooth!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Question: I'm getting ready to do mine, and the torque specs say 18 N-m (13 Ft Lbs) for my 5.7. The 6.1 list a wider range, but in that ballpark.

My torque wrench is a large one (½" drive) that I use for lug nuts and such, and doesn't go that low - lowest is 25 Ft Lbs.

So I guess I'm asking for a subjective measure of how tight that is. It sure isn't very tight by the numbers - I'm thinking snug, then a nudge - that's ALL? Certainly plugs are something NOT to overtighten. I would think it's fairly easy to have them tight enough so they don't leak compression (and if they did, it would show itself quick).

I've done spark plugs before on cars, motorcycles, riding mower, snow throwers, ice augers without owning a torque wrench and haven't junked one yet. But this is my Charger!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Question: I'm getting ready to do mine, and the torque specs say 18 N-m (13 Ft Lbs) for my 5.7. The 6.1 list a wider range, but in that ballpark.

My torque wrench is a large one (½" drive) that I use for lug nuts and such, and doesn't go that low - lowest is 25 Ft Lbs.

So I guess I'm asking for a subjective measure of how tight that is. It sure isn't very tight by the numbers - I'm thinking snug, then a nudge - that's ALL? Certainly plugs are something NOT to overtighten. I would think it's fairly easy to have them tight enough so they don't leak compression (and if they did, it would show itself quick).

I've done spark plugs before on cars, motorcycles, riding mower, snow throwers, ice augers without owning a torque wrench and haven't junked one yet. But this is my Charger!

SNUG and a NUDGE is exactly what I always do with plugs.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
No Hemi, be it 5.7 or 6.1 comes from the factory with Platinum Plugs, only the V6 engines do.

Putting Platinum in a Hemi is stupid because they have 2 plugs per cylinder and only 1 coil. One plug fire one way, the other fires the other way (Reverse) so having a platinum in there is a total waste because the plug is firing in the opposite direction totally NEGATING the platinum electrode.

Use what the manual says to put in, everything else is at least a waste of money and at most could actually do damage or increase emmisions.

·
Registered
411 Posts
No Hemi, be it 5.7 or 6.1 comes from the factory with Platinum Plugs, only the V6 engines do.

Putting Platinum in a Hemi is stupid because they have 2 plugs per cylinder and only 1 coil. One plug fire one way, the other fires the other way (Reverse) so having a platinum in there is a total waste because the plug is firing in the opposite direction totally NEGATING the platinum electrode.

Use what the manual says to put in, everything else is at least a waste of money and at most could actually do damage or increase emmisions.
Not quite true. You cannot use single electrode platinum plugs in the waste spark coil packs. You can use Double Platinum or Iridium plugs which have precious metals covering both side and center electrodes.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

The 6.1 does have Platinum plugs out of the factory. Anyway the OP stated he put in Iridium plugs , which last even longer than Platinum. The materials used are for reducing the wear on the electrode, which in turn, maintains the correct gap for a longer period.

And yes, you can install Platinum plugs in a 5.7L with no ill effects, but it will cost you more $$.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
If I'm not correct, TTA put a thread up about Plat, and Irid, plugs. DONOT USE PLAT!!!!! ONLY IRID>>>check the thread..

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
There's a sucker born every minute, and if you think fancy spark plugs are better than what dodge puts in from the factory, add yourself to that list.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts