Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been putting this one togethor for a while it seems. It took us a while to source just the right T-stat. Basically, there are a lot of cheap T-stats out there that "kind of fit", or don't have jiggle pins, which are very important for proper operation in a Hemi.

We finally settled on the Motorad 170 and 180 degree t-stats. They have good build quality, and come with jiggle pins. You do have to reuse your stock gasket, but that is no biggie. If you want a new gasket, or something a little beefier, we offer the premium JET 180 T-stat for an extra $9.95.

This new package only costs 375.35, and is available at the link below!-

http://marylandspeed.com/diablospor...-hemi-charger-magnum-300c-dcxsp05-p-1822.html

Everyone knows about the Predator..so we will talk T-Stats some...

What is the difference between T-stats?
  • Motorad 180 Degree- Great for all cars and climates to reduce operating temperature with no real negatives. Includes jiggle pin, and you must reuse you stock gasket.​
  • Motorad 170 Degree- Car will run even cooler, but also increases the risk of CEL lights, and poor heater performance in cold climates. Includes jiggle pin, and you must reuse you stock gasket.​
  • Jet Premium 180 Degree T-Stat- Sturdier construction than Motorad T-stats. Great for all cars and climates to reduce operating temperature with no real negatives. Includes jiggle pin, and NEW gasket.​
If you are not sure which temperature t-stat to use, you should pick a 180 degree one to be on the safe side. All of our T-stats include a jiggle pin. Even if you do not buy from us, be aware there are several cheap T-stats out there that do not have jiggle pins. Jiggle pins are important to your new T-stat working right in your HEMI. In terms of build quality, the Motorad is the same quality as your would get at NAPA or Advance Auto and will work fine. The Jet T-stat includes a new gasket, has more material to it, and is overall sturdier (see additional pictures). Odds are you would be fine with either brand and never have an issue.
Here are some pictures of the Jet T-sat vs the Motorad ones.​

·
Registered
112 Posts
Another quick question. Would I get better power with an exhaust or a tuner first? My budget is only going to allow 1 at a time.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
go with a tuner. lot more to be had out of it over a cat back
AND the jiggle thing is a bleeder for air in the system [just so no one goes to the parts store and makes a a$$ out of them selfs asking for a t stat with a jiggly thing]:D

·
Registered
484 Posts
FWIW, the parts company I work for sells a private label of T-Stats, which are manufactured by Motorad. YTD, out of all T-Stats sold company wide, the warranty exchange rate is just over 1%. Our previous supplier was Stant, and our AVERAGE comapny wide warranty exchange rate was 3.13%.

I definitely need to get a Predator and T-Stat combo, hopefully I can place my order soon :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Ordered mine, finally, now that my warranty is over! Can't wait to see how the car drives after the canned 93 tune, and maybe take it to Inertia for a cam and a CMR tune.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You won't regret it. There's so much more to the Predator tuner than just a canned tune. If you hook it up to a laptop you can record all kinds of data and display it on guages and/or graphs provided as a DataViewer app that you download from the Diablo site. Also, there are lots of 'quick' settings that you can use to modify how your car works. You'll see...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Looking forward to it, although I don't have a wideband O2 setup in my Charger. I'm quite comfortable tuning my own car though, I use a laptop to tune my Evo.

I'm particularly looking forward to increased throttle sensitivity and better shifting, I really want better feedback and responsiveness from my Charger more than heaps more horsepower. Driveability ftw!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Got mine, installed the perf 93 CAI tune, but it's been raining for 4 days in Austin, so I haven't really had a chance to beat on it. I did run a few logs though, 6.5 degrees of ST KR, added 3% fuel across the board, no effect. Looks like I need to buy a catch can.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Got my JET 180 tstat today, it looked exactly like the one in Maryland Speed's picture, with its own gasket and jiggle pin, etc. It installed easily and seems to keep my coolant temp about 20 Degrees cooler without even changing the fan settings. Interestingly, the JET 180 tstat had "Motorad" stamped on the side of it. Same parent company or what? Just curious.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Got my JET 180 tstat today, it looked exactly like the one in Maryland Speed's picture, with its own gasket and jiggle pin, etc. It installed easily and seems to keep my coolant temp about 20 Degrees cooler without even changing the fan settings. Interestingly, the JET 180 tstat had "Motorad" stamped on the side of it. Same parent company or what? Just curious.
Very interesting. I will have to look into this, I'll keep you posted with what I find out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Motorad stamp on Jet?

Thanks for responding. I look forward to what you find out. I looked back at my order and my Jet 180 Thermostat with the Motorad stamp on it did come from Maryland Speed, Order no. 24031. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ordered mine yesterday. I am currently reading everything about the predator, so I can start playing right away.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are very few T-stat manufactuers, so Motorad makes the T-stats for Jet to their spec. The difference is the Jet one is beefier, has a gasket, and fits perfectly. The motorad one is like 1mm too big, which makes it a little work to get the stock gasket on. Both work fine however.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts