Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went in for a GT and came out with the Daytona. You would not believe the three trips to the dealership and hour away. Dead and replaced batteries, cars with scratches all over them, was a fiasco. But, I wanted loaded and black. GT looked has lots of small scratches, washed many times? They wet sanded & buffed GT, which scared me. It shined like a diamond, a still scratched one.Comedy of errors all the way around. Hubby gave green light for R/T. Several care questions, so thanks in advance for your patience and wisdom. Yes, it's black, I know it's going to show everything and need special care.
1) First issue- dealer had a non-touchless car wash (whaaat?). It has small linear lines on it, not terrible. I know these will happen, but I want to be the one to do them. Also, a few mystery "spots" here and there. Bird poop/sap from not running the car through that car wash. God knows with that place. Thinking I might want those addressed before I possibly look at a protective coating. Suggestions for reasonable procedure for body shop/detailer to do for them? Spots bother me more than the lines.
2) Once that's done, to protective coat or not to coat, opinions? Ceramics seems to be mentioned often. Car will be driven at least weekly during dry/decent conditions year round. Sacrilege, but gotta be realistic with my car. Hubby already has a garage baby- '92 Z28 mint convertible, all original with 23K miles. Any offers? I need garage space. Dealer offered to do Simonize Glasscoat for $600. Guessing still serious mark up. Do I consider it? Are there better brands of coating you would suggest a pro do? Are home applications ever a good idea?
3) What to clean my baby with? Internet has led to information overload. Two buckets, one bucket, wool mitts to wash your car....I'm thinking I probably don't need 15 products to give my car a normal washing?! This will be maintained, but it's not a show car. I will buy a foam blaster, it looks fun anyway. If hubby harasses me about washing the car again, he can be pre washed too. Brake dust, a special cleaner for that? I read I need a special wax for the matte areas on car? Clear coats for ceramics for your clear coats, really? I will honor the car, but I do want to spend more time with my husband than my car. What is realistic to keep this well maintained?
It's verbose, but I'd really appreciate any tips, advice and product recommendations. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
You've made a sizable investment that you want to protect. I suggest you go to a reputable detailer for paint correction (new ones need it), ceramic coating and a full clip clear bra. You'll gulp when you hear the price but down the road you'll be happy you spent the money.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
You've made a sizable investment that you want to protect. I suggest you go to a reputable detailer for paint correction (new ones need it), ceramic coating and a full clip clear bra. You'll gulp when you hear the price but down the road you'll be happy you spent the money.
Check out her other thread. I got this situation on lock down. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks smiley47. Realized post was in wrong forum and tried to delete, but didn't see that option in "edit". Yes, the junkman has been awesome!

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Congrats on the Daytona. I have a 2013 Black Daytona and you are right it will show everything if not washed a lot. I have never paid for detailing or ceramic stuff. I wash the car when dirty with one bucket and a wool mit. Dry with micro fiber towels. (I wash those after every wash). About every 6 months I use Mothers car polish to remove any minor stuff on the paint and then wax the car with Chemical Guys Jet Seal (Expensive but worth it). I use a 9 inch orbital polisher to remove the wax. Keep the pad on the orbital clean, I usually use 3 on the car each time. Finish on the car looks just like I drove it off the lot after 7 years. (My dealership, not yours)

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I wash the car when dirty with one bucket and a wool mit.

Okay, I've been gone for awhile and I can see things have went wayward while I was gone. If you have a black car and this is the way you care for it, your paint is not going to have a very long life. Here's why. Watch how I wash my car and listen to the reasons that I give for EVERYTHING that I do. Once you see and hear all the COMMON SENSE that I say and show in these videos, you will quickly understand WHY the paint on my ride looks as good as it does.

The PROPER Way to Wash a Car

By the way, my videos are not posted at Adam's Forums. They are only posted on Youtube, unless I post them in a forum somewhere, like here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wait, I was going to use one bucket, Dawn and I think I have an old washcloth/towel in the closet. Not protocol?! LOL Seriously, Junkman, I'm thanking God for you right now. I don't think I heard you weigh in on the ceramic topic?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
That's because you are not remotely CLOSE to that process in your paint restoration/protection. I am eventually going to make a how to video on that topic, which will contain everything that you need to know about that type of protection but first, you need to learn how to care for your paint.

Here's the deal.You don't give a man with poor money management skills a million dollars and expect anything good to come from it. The first thing you must do is teach him the value of a dollar and how to grow that dollar. You then have him multiple that process by 2 dollars and continue to compound the process. Once that man fully understands how to properly manage money, he will quickly realize that he doesn't need your million because he now has the knowledge necessary to make his OWN millions. He can then pass that process on to his offspring and create wealth that will trickle down his family tree and leave generations of his offspring in a financially stable and prosperous lifestyle.

So I say to you grasshopper, wait until you can snatch the pebble from my hand and the learning will come. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Understand now. Thanks. I might be able to grab the pebble. I'm a blackbelt with 15 years of training.😁

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I have faith in you. Women follow directions when it comes to this stuff a lot better than men from what I have observed over the years. Men can just be knuckleheads, sometimes. But then, I'm not telling you anything you don't know because you married one. You have FIRST HAND experience! Lol!

Wait and see, you are going to remember the day you met me and when the learning began. You will then see someone post a thread who will be in the same exact situation that you are presently in. You will see their confusion and you may even see them question my advice but at that point, you will see yourself in the past and think, "If they only knew what I know now because there was I at one time."

All one has to do is listen to all the COMMON SENSE I bring when it comes to paint maintenance/protection. If you look at the common sense alone, you can't argue with the logic. I mean you could, but then people reading your comments will give you that cute little confused puppy stare.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's true. Watch the videos, get comfortable practicing on something if possible. I had an extra hood that had been damaged sitting around. I used that to practice on before I started on my car. Or start on a small, inconspicuous area. I must have read and watched tons of docs and videos before ever using the equipment and product. And I constantly referred back to them while working the equipment and product. He has posted a great deal of info for you. Use your time and the info wisely and you will be surprised what a little work can accomplish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All very true. I remember well when I was a white belt. Knew nothing. Many instructors expected nothing out of me as I was a 5'1" 35 year old quiet woman. But, all it takes is one good sensei to inspire someone. And, if that instructor teaches the student well, they remember it and feel they have a debt of gratitude to teach others. I love finding that quiet little white belt hiding in the corner of the room and drawing them out. One of my quiet ones gets his black next week! Sorry, I digress. I'm big on the concept of passing on what has been given to you. Everyone was a white belt at some point.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
It's true. Watch the videos, get comfortable practicing on something if possible.
Actually, she can practice on her own car if she uses the polishers that I show in my novice polishing videos. She ain't gonna damage anything unless she beats the car with it. That I more than prove in that series of videos.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gotta be honest, correction/polishing STILL scares me, even after video. Even after you leaned on the buffer. The buffing not so scary. As a newbie, even the .00005% chance of messing up a 50K car strikes terror in one's heart. Don't have a heated garage, was 15 degrees. Is that a prohibiting factor? Meant to ask, curious, ball park of time needed to correct a new car? I know you said, and it looks like a LONG process. It's another factor as this will need to be driven often, not sit until job is done. Yeah, I have 20 million questions. Can't even tell you how grateful I am for your input so I can make an informed decision. I DIY a lot, but never wing anything.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Actually, she can practice on her own car if she uses the polishers that I show in my novice polishing videos. She ain't gonna damage anything unless she beats the car with it. That I more than prove in that series of videos.
I agree. Just a thought for those that are a bit timid. A confidence builder of sorts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Meant to ask, curious, ball park of time needed to correct a new car? I know you said, and it looks like a LONG process.

The first time is the most work in my opinion. It takes me a full day to wash, clay, wash, prep and polish. Then sealing and final jeweling. Once you have a few sessions you find it going a bit quicker. But I still give it a full day to really finish it off correctly. My moms car took two full days due to the surface correction needed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, that gives me a much better idea for the time frame. I was envisioning around 4-5 days. So is the unheated garage an issue?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Okay, that gives me a much better idea for the time frame. I was envisioning around 4-5 days. So is the unheated garage an issue?
If you think that you are going to do all this in one day with THAT polisher, you are going to be in for a world of disappointment, especially since you have never done this before. You still have a LOT of video watching to do.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Meant to ask, curious, ball park of time needed to correct a new car? I know you said, and it looks like a LONG process.

The first time is the most work in my opinion. It takes me a full day to wash, clay, wash, prep and polish. Then sealing and final jeweling. Once you have a few sessions you find it going a bit quicker. But I still give it a full day to really finish it off correctly. My moms car took two full days due to the surface correction needed
First off, the correct answer for how long it takes is, "IT TAKES AS LONG AS IT TAKES."
This is like a city marathon. You will have people at all levels of conditioning running this marathon. Someone will finish first. Someone will finish last. Everyone else will finish in between. The ONLY important thing is that you finish. Your time doesn't matter unless you are running in a competition. Paint correction IS NOT A COMPETITION. The point when you consider your paint finished is TOTALLY up to you. So if it takes you 3 days to get your paint to the condition that passes your eye test, then it took 3 days.

It took me 6-months -off and on- to get my Corvette when I first purchased it to MY level of expectation. From the day I finished, it has never taken me more than an hour to touch up any damage that I may have found because I KNOW how to properly care for my paint. I don't do the things that were done to my paint BEFORE I fixed it. If you don't CREATE damage, you won't have to REPAIR damage. But then, I am a Marine. My level of satisfaction is usually considered very anal to most people.

I wear that badge proudly. You could eat off my engine.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts