Charger Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen the new Motor Trend? The one I saw today has a new Charger on the cover being followed by a new Mustang sailing over a hilltop street in San Francisco. I didn't buy it because I was out of town and looking for other things. But when I went to my local store this evening, it didn't have it yet! :mad:

Did I see an illusion, or is this magazine just being released this week? I could just kick myself for not buying it today!!!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I bought it today....

you are not missing much... they spent more time comparing to the movie then I cared for...

wish I would have read it at the store and save myself 5 bucks... LOL

·
Registered
630 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T said:
I bought it today....

you are not missing much... they spent more time comparing to the movie then I cared for...

wish I would have read it at the store and save myself 5 bucks... LOL
I use a program from Zinio that you can get online subscriptions to magazines. I have Motor Trend and Car & Driver for $12/year each. Very nice to just download the mag and read it online. Haven't read the MT issue yet, just finished C&D today. Will let you know my impressions of the article when I read it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In a nutshell.

The 2005 GT Mustang is a LOT faster, and a bit less expensive.
The GT handles better, but the Charger has a slightly more comfortable interior.

·
Registered
630 Posts
FasterV8 said:
The 2005 GT Mustang is a LOT faster, and a bit less expensive.
The GT handles better, but the Charger has a slightly more comfortable interior.
Hmmm, as with everything else in life, everyone has an opinion. I sometimes wonder if I read the same articles as others do.

Was the Mustang GT faster than the R/T+ (plus R&T), yes. It was .8 seconds faster in 0-60 and .6 seconds faster in the quarter mile. Is this a LOT faster? Again here goes the opinion, not in my book. Given the weight difference and the near similar hp ratings (300 vs 350) and the manual vs automatic gearing, its not surprising.

Does the Mustang GT handle better? I dont think it was really defined in the article. The only comment I found was "While the new Charger is noticeably softer than the Mustang." and goes on to compare the new Charger to the Magnum and 300's. When it gets to the Mustang I read "... steering has a heaver feel than the Charger's.", "... clutch petal will give your leg a work out ...", and "In a city like San Francisco, this car can't just squirt through traffic, it has to shoulder through."

It goes on to say that the given an empty street, the Mustang "takes a quick turn predictably, with excellent feedback and control." Also states that the Mustang is easy to drive fast. From just my own 30 minute test drive of a regular R/T, I could say the same thing for the Charger. So the handling comparison, to me, was a bit of a wash.

Fun article though. Worth the read.

·
Registered
76 Posts
CO-Charger said:
Hmmm, as with everything else in life, everyone has an opinion. I sometimes wonder if I read the same articles as others do.

Was the Mustang GT faster than the R/T+ (plus R&T), yes. It was .8 seconds faster in 0-60 and .6 seconds faster in the quarter mile. Is this a LOT faster? Again here goes the opinion, not in my book. Given the weight difference and the near similar hp ratings (300 vs 350) and the manual vs automatic gearing, its not surprising.
Um, they tested the 5 speed AUTOMATIC Mustang GT, not the stick.

If you don't think .8 in the 0-60 and .6 are a lot of time difference, you are VERY much mistaken, and don't go to the track much.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
FasterV8 said:
actually the article and the specs page clearly state the mustang was a MANUAL

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
FasterV8 said:
If you don't think .8 in the 0-60 and .6 are a lot of time difference, you are VERY much mistaken, and don't go to the track much.
so this FAMILY SEDAN is just shy of a second slower then a MUSCLE CAR....

For a large $30,000 FAMILY SEDAN I think those numbers are pretty good....

can you show me a car with the amount of interior room, and performance for the price?

·
Banned
99 Posts
Not a fair comparison. That would be like comparing Angelina Jolie(Mustang) to Kirstie Alley(Charger). Kirstie may be soft on the turns but Angelina is fast in the straight aways.

·
Registered
630 Posts
FasterV8 said:
It was their quote, not mine.

FasterV8 said:
You are quite correct, I don't go to the track much. I am not buying my Charger just so that I can go faster than the other guy on the race track (or on the streets for that matter). If I did, I certain wouldn't be using my 35K daily driver (and fun car to drive), I'd be out looking for a used "classic" iron with a 440 or Hemi, to play with on the track. I am not worried about the micro second differences that are brought out at the track.

It does matter to me that I feel good driving the car I have and that it drive the way I feel it should. I have no problems with the fact that a smaller, lighter car with a motor about as strong as mine is capable of getting on the highway from a dead stop a mear 8th of a second faster than me. Hell, 500 yards down the highway it won't matter one lick when we both are doing 10-20mph in stop and go rush hour.

·
Registered
630 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T said:
so this FAMILY SEDAN is just shy of a second slower then a MUSCLE CAR....

For a large $30,000 FAMILY SEDAN I think those numbers are pretty good....

can you show me a car with the amount of interior room, and performance for the price?
Oh! Good point Daytona_R/T. Hadn't considered it from that point of view.

:clap:

·
Registered
76 Posts
CO-Charger said:
Oh! Good point Daytona_R/T. Hadn't considered it from that point of view.

:clap:

We all know the Charger was never a "family" sedan.

Now you poor slow excuses for a Charger are just making excuses because a car with 50 less HP, and nearly 10K less can kick your ass two ways to tuesday.

"Charger owner" == :cry:

Anyways I was wrong about the stick transmssion, but it's a little hard for the Charger to use a stick, since it DOESN'T EVEN HAVE ONE AS AN OPTION.

Of course there will be much gnashing of teeth and wailing, but it's rather well known a GOOD automatic tranny actually helps in the 1/4 mile.

Even with the AT, the Charger STILL loses to the 50HP less Mustang GT.

·
Registered
88 Posts
FasterV8 said:

Now you poor slow excuses for a Charger are just making excuses because a car with 50 less HP, and nearly 10K less can kick your ass two ways to tuesday.

Anyways I was wrong about the stick transmssion, but it's a little hard for the Charger to use a stick, since it DOESN'T EVEN HAVE ONE AS AN OPTION.

Of course there will be much gnashing of teeth and wailing, but it's rather well known a GOOD automatic tranny actually helps in the 1/4 mile.

Just a few tweeks to the car will take care of that, I can't wait to smoke my first mustang, I love stomping on mustangs....and can't wait to do it in my new charger, mustang owners are all the same always full of excuses when they lose

·
Registered
76 Posts
T/A Rumbler said:
Just a few tweeks to the car will take care of that, I can't wait to smoke my first mustang, I love stomping on mustangs....and can't wait to do it in my new charger, mustang owners are all the same always full of excuses when they lose
First you gotta GET a Charger.

Looks like you are the one making excuses this time "Just wait till I do this or that".

And all the Mustang owner has to do is reflash his ECU to disable the throttle control and the car does 12.9's all day with a CAI.

It seems the "Charger" owners are just like the "GTO" owners.

It's not a Charger and its not a GTO, and it's aways "You just wait till I do X, Y and Z".

Face facts, the Mustang GT is less expensive, looks better, handles better and is a faster car.

Lemme guess when the GT500 hits the market you are going to be one of the same people saying "Well if we had a supercharger...."

Hell the current 300 SRT-8 is VERY VERY lucky to get 12.9's.

The GT500 will be doing low 12's bone stock for even less money than the SRT-8's...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do you even own a mustang GT? or do you have a V6 wanna be GT...and my charger is on order by the way...how do you know the Gt500 will be cheaper than the SRT8?...also, a simple cam swap will net good horspower gains no need for a supercharger to beat a mustang...I already know how to beat a mustang and it is not hard to do...

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
FasterV8 said:
First you gotta GET a Charger.

Just a guess here, but Will Rogers never met you did he? :whistle:

·
Registered
76 Posts
T/A Rumbler said:
Do you even own a mustang GT? or do you have a V6 wanna be GT...and my charger is on order by the way...how do you know the Gt500 will be cheaper than the SRT8?...also, a simple cam swap will net good horspower gains no need for a supercharger to beat a mustang...I already know how to beat a mustang and it is not hard to do...
Nope don't own a Mustang GT, or a V6.

The GT500 has already been said to be 38500-39000. All interviews with Ford and SVT have said repeatedly the car will be under 40K.

The estimated price for the SRT-8 Charger is 40k-45k. But prices have yet to be announced. Even if it does come in at 39000, the GT500 is still going to kick it's ass two ways to Tuesday, backwards, with it's lights off and no one driving.

Again, see you gotta go and toss a modified car into it. For the price you would pay for your cam swap, the GT500 can put a smaller pulley on the
supercharger, get a full exhaust, a CAI and be damn close to the 10's.

The base Mustang GT is faster by quite a bit, the R/T in bone stock form.
The Charger SRT-8 will more than likely perform not unlike the 300 SRT-8, which is slower than the CURRENT Cobra, let alone the GT500.

Care to go another round?

·
Registered
549 Posts
FasterV8 said:

Ahh yes another smack talking Mustang owner....nothing new there which is why I enjoyed it so much when I beat the snot out of a GT with a 4-banger Neon. FYI - the New Mustang weights less and is still in a different class of car and is ment for a different group of buyers anyway. Pony car vs. Family Sedan so why compare the two. Oh and the SRT-8 Charger is slated to start at $37,000ish. BTW - If you are a hater of the Charger then what the heck are you doing on here sturing it up.....Flame away.

Later

·
Registered
88 Posts
FasterV8 said:
Nope don't own a Mustang GT, or a V6.

The GT500 has already been said to be 38500-39000. All interviews with Ford and SVT have said repeatedly the car will be under 40K.

The estimated price for the SRT-8 Charger is 40k-45k. But prices have yet to be announced. Even if it does come in at 39000, the GT500 is still going to kick it's ass two ways to Tuesday, backwards, with it's lights off and no one driving.

Again, see you gotta go and toss a modified car into it. For the price you would pay for your cam swap, the GT500 can put a smaller pulley on the
supercharger, get a full exhaust, a CAI and be damn close to the 10's.

The base Mustang GT is faster by quite a bit, the R/T in bone stock form.
The Charger SRT-8 will more than likely perform not unlike the 300 SRT-8, which is slower than the CURRENT Cobra, let alone the GT500.

Care to go another round?

You are basing this on a car (gt500) that isn't even built yet, it is a concept car and not a production model until at least 2007...when they are actual production cars then you can brag about them....also, while the mustang owners may paper push their manual 5 speed gt as being .6 faster 0-60 that will not cut it on the street stop light to stop light or on the drag strip in the real world....it has been my experience that mustang owners think that their car is better because on paper it is supposed to be.......look at what you get with a Hemi Charger R/T - the best V8 engine in the world, 4 doors, headroom, much larger trunk, seats 5 adults, and yet can out perform a mustang all for a sticker price of 29K....you certainly get more for your money

1 - 20 of 268 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.