Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the prettiest one out there, but I finally put a Thule roof rack on the charger. Makes the kayaking hobby easier, and it will defiantly be nice to have for the upcoming snowboarding season. :banana:

(sorry for the crappy phone pic)

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Wow you're still kayaking? It got to cold for me. I've had mine hanging on the wall rack for about 2-3 weeks now.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Yeah I guess the water isn't too bad. I just get cold from the air blowing on me after I'm wet.

On a side note.
How bad did your area get hit (if at all) from all that flooding a few weeks back? Lycoming county got nailed. I know your close, but not directly adjacent to them.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm about 30 minutes from both Wilkes Barre and Bloomsburg (the towns that flooded real bad). Luckily I live at the top of a mountain so I didn't have to worry. There was a lot of flooding around here tho.

We took the kayaks down a little river close by that normally wouldn't be any fun. There was some nasty holes!

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Yeah nasty holes is definitely one way to put it. The one pic I posted was from Route 87 northeast of Williamsport, and the other is the train bridge over Loyalsock creek in Montoursville. Both are from last weekend.

So I assume you waited for the water to reseed a bit before you went down it? I've gone down both the upper and lower Youghiogheny (lower is class III, upper is class IV/V), but wouldn't think of putting in on any of that flood water. It was high, fast, and completely uncharted. If you launched into that you're an animal.... well that or just plain crazy. :biggrinjester:

So more on topic. How hard is it to get your kayak on the roof rack? I use my truck, but it's far from efficient. A more economical ride would be nice for those long trips (like eastern PA).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Friday we went down the Lower Lehigh. That's probably a low class IV. We weren't in a big river after all the rain, but it was right as it was cresting. It turned what would have been a class I into a good class III.

Loading the kayak's are a breeze. I can definitely tell the difference loading them on my car as apposed to my buddy's subi tho. Charger's are taller to begin with, but add the higher awd stance, and it makes strapping them down a little more difficult.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Do you hear any wind noise from it with alone or with the kayaks mounted? Obviously with them mounted you'll have some, but I mean loud annoying noise when mounted, and whistle or just noise when not mounted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Shots - I put just the bars on at first and it was really loud. But once that fairing was on I couldn't hear a thing. When the kayak's are on you can hear the wind a little, but nothing outrageous.

InvictuSRT8 - Here's a picture with the saddles on - no kayaks right after I installed it. (again crappy phone pic). I can get ya one with just the rack and fairing if you want? I just haven't had time yet.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Nice. Thanks. I was just exploring options. My truck is fine for transporting them locally (and very easy I might add), but was thinking that if I go far from home (out of state type trips) it might make more sense to carry them on the car.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Now that I've finished screaming in horror...

It doesn't look bad lol. I like that you use your Charger for more than just looking good. Its nice to see people using roof racks and tow hitches without freaking out that a rain drop might touch the paint-job. Happy Paddling! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I made this post a while back. Since then a new car unfortunately means a new rack was needed. For anyone with a 2nd gen. charger who wants to see how they look, here you are.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts