Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im new on here. Help a newbie out!

I also post on SRT Forums.

I am 17, and Im thinking of getting a car. I was looking at the SRT-4, and then, in my dearlership today, i saw the CHarger. It was an R/T. Man that thing looked good! HEmi, four doors, automatic WITH THE OPTION of shifting manually, man this is great.

So heres my dilemma.

I wanted to get the SXT, because im thinking of insurance and gas consumption, and price (Damn markup in HI is crazy :mad: ) and the R/T looks good. SHould i go with the R/T or SXT?

also, im a specs freak. Any one know what a R/T or SXT will go for top speed?

well, i think im done now!

Thanks guys for having a great and helpful forum!

John

·
Registered
630 Posts
808Chargerfan said:
I am 17...
Ok, I've gotta ask before I move on to the important stuff. How does a high school student afford even the SXT let alone an R/T (or even the SRT-4). Rich parents? Independanly wealthy? Wow, the insurance guy must LOVE you! :whistle:

Anyways, got that off my chest.

If you were first in the market for an SRT-4 and are worried about the top-end of the two Charger varieties. Then there should be no doubt about which one to choose. Go Hemi! Yes, the 3.5L V6 is hardy and the gearing on those should allow for some snappy green lights. But much beyond the first 100 feet and the hemi starts walking (at a quick pace) away.

I have a 2002 Intrepid SXT with the 3.5. While driving alone the car feels "peppy". However, get my entire family in the car (would simulate the heavier charger) and I can feel the difference in how the car really has to work much harder to keep any resemblance of "peppy".

Just my $0.02... Good luck and welcome to the group of Charger fans.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, ive been saving for a car for a long time, and my parents will help put some money down. I AM NOT INDEPENDANTLY WEALTHY :mad:

second, the SRT-4 looked nice, and then I saw the Charger. I wanted a SRT-4 for a while, but liked the charger, because of its ability to stay around(and not become obsolete) and the fact that its a 4 door sedan that can KICK ASS!

John

·
Registered
630 Posts
808Chargerfan said:
First off, ive been saving for a car for a long time, and my parents will help put some money down. I AM NOT INDEPENDANTLY WEALTHY
Sorry John, didn't mean to offend, just curious as to how a young fellow as yourself could afford such a car.

Kodos to you for being frugal and saving for what you want. Thats a trait that is not very common with kids your age (I know, I have a 16yo that is like a money drain. He gets some cash for doing odd jobs for neighbors and whooosh, down the drain it goes.)

What you are accomplishing would like me trying to buy a new Charger or other new car back in 1974. Back then I could barely rub two sticks together let alone buy something like a new car. It wasn't until I graduated HS and landed a fairly decent job that I was able to get a loan and buy my first "real" car, a 1969 Charger (used no less, still couldn't afford a new car). Yes, my parents did co-signed for me due to my lack of credit history, but I was able to pay for everything myself.

Again, sorry if my attempt at humor at your expense landed flat on its face.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
808Chargerfan said:
First off, ive been saving for a car for a long time, and my parents will help put some money down. I AM NOT INDEPENDANTLY WEALTHY :mad:

second, the SRT-4 looked nice, and then I saw the Charger. I wanted a SRT-4 for a while, but liked the charger, because of its ability to stay around(and not become obsolete) and the fact that its a 4 door sedan that can KICK ASS!

John
I would suggest a V6 Charger. Your car is going to get beat to crap - high school parking lot door dings, inexperienced driver you crashing into things, college dorm parking lot door dings (and much, much worse). You want a car that is big, safe, solid, fun, and will be able to haul all your crap around.

Congrats, that's an awfully nice car to have at 17. When I was 17 I got some POS then 24-year-old Chrysler convertible...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would say that it depends on 2 things: your budget and your ego. Let me say first that having a lot of either are not necessary bad things but if you're like me where you just want to get the best car for a certain price and bragging to your buddies about the hemi is not so important, then the 3.5 should do fine. I'm getting my sxt in 10 days and I am very excited about it. I know that its not as exciting as the hemi, especially after 60 mph but I cannot afford to contribute to the local police department. I have a Honda Odyssey with the 250 hp V6. That thing hauls. OK, not like any muscle car but I still pass 95% of cars while going uphill. The charger is about 600 lbs lighter so it should be even faster. I guess if you want a "muscle car' and can pay the price for all that fun, then go for it. But if you want a extremely fun and well built sedan, I think the V6 will more that fulfill your wildest dreams. Just my .02.

·
Registered
63 Posts
BTW, never had the need to do donuts or smoke the tires or such stuff. Man, I'm boring. LOL

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have had my SXT nearly a month. I test drove the Magnum R/T last winter and can tell you that you are not going to match the performance of the HEMI with the 3.5L V6....BUT...The V6 performs very much like a small block V8 (probably due to the way the car is geared) around town. On the highway, passing and accelerating have been no problem and the car will get you where you want to go quickly. I do a lot of commuting so mileage was more important to me than avoiding the local police.

If you can afford the additional $$ for the HEMI and sizable insurance premium (which seems likely if you can pony up for the HEMI at your age), then go for it. If your local dealer has one that you can drive (preferably both the V6 and HEMI), give them a try first. I think the V6 will surprise you.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks a lot for the help guys.

I have been saving from jobs that I did with my dad since i was 14. I have about 5,000 save up, with my parents putting down 3,000. I made an agreement to pay half of the car payment ( which i can handle at my new job.)
I think ill give the SXT a drive this weekend. and maybe an R/T, Maybe ill be able to beat my friends G35 automatic sedan :wink:

but a few last questions.

Is there mods from mopar to boost this puppys potential, and
if i ever get the money, or time, can I always swap the V6 for the HEMI?

thanks a lot in advance guys :)

John

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anything is possible with enough money. However, by the time you get it all swapped out it would have been cheaper to buy a charger with the Hemi. As for modability, there are a couple places that are making performance parts. Such as cams, headers, and superchargers. However, there isnt an abundance of them like the srt-4. If you want to beat your friend's g35 than get the srt-4 and upgrade the turbo, with the upgraded turbo you should be deep in the 12s and a g35 will be a walk in the park. However, If you want beat it with comfort and plenty of headroom/legroom, than get the R/T or SRT-8.

However, if I were you I would go buy a used srt-4(13k), mod that and save money for college or a better car in the future. I know first hand what its like to be a teenager and spending all your money on a car. I am 19 and have been restoring a 70 challenger for the last 3 years. I would only recommend going this route if you are obsessed with a certain car. I have missed out on a lot of stuff because of my car. I feel that it is worth it, but I live for my car....

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
There aren't many mods available for the V6 yet. There will be in the future, though, but never as many as for the Hemi.

A good comparison would be to look at the aftermarket for the V6 Mustang. You can get all the typical bolt-on mods, aftermarket brakes, and even choose from a few supercharger kits. There are some 10-second V6 Mustangs. Given a few years, I'm sure the same support will be available for the 300/Magnum/Charger.

Yes, you will be able to do the engine swap, but it will likely make more sense to trade in your SXT and buy a Hemi (unless you can do the work yourself).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dutch said:
When I was 17 I got some POS then 24-year-old Chrysler convertible...
I know what you mean. When I was 17, I was working on a rusted-out, 33-year-old, clunkity Dodge :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys.

My dad consideres me a kid with a lot of guts to choose a car like this. A four door sedan that looks like a family hauler.

i coose this car because its somethin different from the usual civics, celicas, neons, SRT-4's and the integras.

I choose to roll in style while kicking somebodys ass at the same time.

I have a friend who owns a V6 mustang and that thing is a fricin beast! So much tourque and that beloved supercharger whine :)

thanks a lot guys for all the help and making me feel welcome.

Ill post up my opinion of the charger after i do a test drive this weekend :)

John

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have to admire someone your age working and saving for a car like this. This is my first true car. When I was 17 I had a Diesel VW Rabbit. I had to wait an additional 20 years to get my first car with some nuggets. They say better late than never, I say Better now than later, so I applaude you... You never know what can happen tomorrow and my "I'll get the cool car next year" moved out 20 years. Good luck with the test drive, I know that you will enjoy it.

Lammy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts