Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone:
I test drove the Hemi and I'm hooked. First car I've driven in years that made me laugh out loud.
The wife's dreams of a convertible are about to be shattered.

Couple of questions: The car I drove did not have the Road and Track option and I was ok with the ride but the RT option is on a car the dealer has coming in. I usually prefer a more responsive ride but I'm on NYC streets. How do you feel about the RT option?
Also, I'm leaning towards black as I have to stay a little low key so red is out. I know its subjective to some degree but are the owners of black cars happy with their choice and how is the Dodge black paint overall?

Are there any options you wish you got or didn't get?

And finally, I'm in the NYC area. Should I expect and accept paying close to list?

Looks like there's a car with a VIN number with my name on it. After reading some posts I'm wondering if the strike will effect that car both in finishing it and having it built by pissed off Canadians!
I look forward to reading your posts and learning more about the car. I've found there's no better resource then the owners of the car themselves. (My dealer did not even know what the RT option was!) Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hemiready said:
Hello Everyone:
I test drove the Hemi and I'm hooked. First car I've driven in years that made me laugh out loud.
The wife's dreams of a convertible are about to be shattered.

Couple of questions: The car I drove did not have the Road and Track option and I was ok with the ride but the RT option is on a car the dealer has coming in. I usually prefer a more responsive ride but I'm on NYC streets. How do you feel about the RT option?
Also, I'm leaning towards black as I have to stay a little low key so red is out. I know its subjective to some degree but are the owners of black cars happy with their choice and how is the Dodge black paint overall?

And finally, I'm in the NYC area. Should I expect and accept paying close to list?

Looks like there's a car with a VIN number with my name on it. After reading some posts I'm wondering if the strike will effect that car both in finishing it and having it built by pissed off Canadians!
I look forward to reading your posts and learning more about the car. I've found there's no better resource then the owners of the car themselves. (My dealer did not even know what the RT option was!) Thanks for any help you can provide.
Go with the Road & Track version, you won't be disappointed. I personally wouldn't go any other way + it has 10 more HP :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with Go ManGo. I drove both and was sold by the interior on the road and track package. Although others have disagreed, I thought the seats were much more comfortable and the look much more in line with the sportiness of the car. I also liked the feel of the steering - it is noticeblay stiffer. I ended up purchasing the Daytona which is due to be delivered tomorrow :happy: rather than ordering an R/T road and track pachage which had a delivery of 12-18 weeks.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured the 10hp couldn't hurt!
Is the car significantly different in terms of handling, exhuast sound etc?

I was looking at the GTO (am I allowed to admit that on this forum?) but I like the Charger for a number of reasons.
Jeff

·
Registered
382 Posts
Someone who knows more about the R/T package:

If you're going to end up modding the crap out of it (changing exhaust, sway bars, springs, headers, etc), is there still a reason to get the R/T package?

I ask because the simple way to answer Hemiready's question might be to ask are you going to do a bunch of performance tuning. If you are, the R/T might be a waste of money. Or, is the R/T package going to get you something else?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hemiready said:
I figured the 10hp couldn't hurt!
Is the car significantly different in terms of handling, exhuast sound etc?

I was looking at the GTO (am I allowed to admit that on this forum?) but I like the Charger for a number of reasons.
Jeff
My dad has an R/T charger and I have a Daytona. The difference in sound is very noticeable as well as the seats, handling, steering, etc.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry. Forgot about the seats. I'm still focoused on that engine! Anyway, my wife thought the interior was rather plain and I'm thinking the seats in the package would improve that. Since she ain't driving the car day to day it's not really her problem anyway :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
bstowers said:
Someone who knows more about the R/T package:

If you're going to end up modding the crap out of it (changing exhaust, sway bars, springs, headers, etc), is there still a reason to get the R/T package?

I ask because the simple way to answer Hemiready's question might be to ask are you going to do a bunch of performance tuning. If you are, the R/T might be a waste of money. Or, is the R/T package going to get you something else?
Your absolutely right, and if he's going to mod it than maybe its not worth moving into the Road & track package but it's not a bad place to start.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am also, but don't tell nobody! You'll get labeled as a t-r-o-l-l!

I can hear it now, "We've found a witch, may we burn her?!"

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To Bstowers:
I'm promising myself that I'm not going to screw around with this car (not modding the crap out of it) - but who knows!
For Go ManGo:
I usually like louder exhaust sound but I guess I'm hitting middle age and don't want it too intrusive. (I've got my bike for that). i'll be sitting in NYC traffic enough times that this car will be in 4cyl mode way to often.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am short and live under a bridge so maybe I am a troll.
Hey, I only looked at the GTO. I never touched.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hemiready said:
To Bstowers:
I'm promising myself that I'm not going to screw around with this car (not modding the crap out of it) - but who knows!
For Go ManGo:
I usually like louder exhaust sound but I guess I'm hitting middle age and don't want it too intrusive. (I've got my bike for that). i'll be sitting in NYC traffic enough times that this car will be in 4cyl mode way to often.
I wouldn't say the exhaust is loud by no means; it’s just a little more throttie than my dads R/T. I'm 37 and I could handle it being louder than what it is right now :) My wife and kids are ok with it as well.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Hemiready said:
Hello Everyone:

I am VERY Happy with my black car. I think it is the meanest color out there (no offense to you ManGoMan owners <snicker>). I traveled Long Island looking for a black one. I was this close to getting a vanilla one but Vanilla just didnt do it for me the way black did.

There were, however, some issues with the paint job as previously described in another thread (http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18007&postcount=23). Long story short, there are ugly white spots scatterred all over the paint (mostly the front of the car). I will try to get a picture up for you in the next 24 hours. Examine you car for these spots with an eagle-eye before signing the contract. If you see spots, the dealer should take care of it since it hasnt left the lot at that point.

Hemiready said:
I wish I waited and got the 6.1L Hemi. 5.7L is GREAT, dont get me wrong.. it just.. well - its not 6.1L :) I find the more I have the car, and the more I grow acustom to the speed, the faster I want to go. A never ending battle im happy to fight :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
DutchMaster said:

I am VERY Happy with my black car. I think it is the meanest color out there (no offense to you ManGoMan owners <snicker>). I traveled Long Island looking for a black one. I was this close to getting a vanilla one but Vanilla just didnt do it for me the way black did.
I have to say, black looks Bad A$$. That was my second choice but it's not as popular here in Tucson due to the heat, of course :) My dad got the Magnesium pearl, and that looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dutch Master - another Long Island Boy. Should I expect to pay list?
I actuaqlly like the rims on your car better then the blacked out ones on the RT package.
The speed thing is a problem. I've been driving nothing fast for a year or so and I notice that I'm driving at a much more sedate pace. Good for the license but not good for my head. I've thought about the SRT8 but I'm drawing the line for myself. I expect I will get used to the Hemi rush and long for more but I'll live with it.
I have a motorcyle that's pretty quick so I've gotten the rush from that for years.

·
Registered
732 Posts
GerjurdKing said:
Hey Go ManGo,

Id love to see some pics of the two Chargers together, do you have any?
No not yet, I just took deliverey on tuesday, so this weekend I'll get some pictures.

Rod

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Hemiready said:
Dutch Master - another Long Island Boy. Should I expect to pay list?
I actuaqlly like the rims on your car better then the blacked out ones on the RT package.
The speed thing is a problem. I've been driving nothing fast for a year or so and I notice that I'm driving at a much more sedate pace. Good for the license but not good for my head. I've thought about the SRT8 but I'm drawing the line for myself. I expect I will get used to the Hemi rush and long for more but I'll live with it.
I have a motorcyle that's pretty quick so I've gotten the rush from that for years.
Here's what I do, and what I always do when buying a car.. I go to a dealership, as though im buying a car, i price it.. i haggle a bit with the salesman to see how far down I can get him... so lets just say he offers me 550/Mo.... I leave, and find the car I really want. I Call the salesman at that dealership and tell him that I want the car for 515/Mo WITH a spoiler and the navigation Head Unit. "If you can give me that price, Ill walk in there and buy the car tomorrow"... This usually leads to "Please hold on" ... "No problem, DutchMaster" - they're so happy to make an easy sale, they'll give you w/e you want (within reason). So long stroy short.. Not really.. you can get some knocked off the top plus some extra stuff to play with. :)

What part of LI are you from?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I usually just work off of invoice. For example if the invoice is 30,000 I quickly find out how much more they want over that rather then from MSRP down. I usually negotiate for about 3 minutes. Most of the time a dealer will ask for about $800 over on a "regular" car. Then we chip away at that.

However, with this car I expect to pay a premium. Just not sure how much.

I thought the NAv system was built in on screen just above the center console. Then, I saw that dash mounted unit. Are there two ways to get the Nav unit or is the dash mount an add on afterwards?

I'm on the south shore in Nassau County

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dodge offers two types of GPS installations, factory and dealer.

The factory install has the screen built into the center section of the dash above the console. The unit on top of the dash is the dealer installed unit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts