Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I do not own a Charger, but I am looking at trading in my S/C 03 Mach 1 on an 07 Daytona. From the Daytona owners and fellow Charger owners, what do you think of this move? I know I will suffer a little in the power dept, but I think the 4 doors and performance are more appealing to me at this point in my life. What are some of the love / hates issues from you Daytona owners? Is the gas mileage really around 14/25? What about just the general daily driver aspect of a Daytona? How many use their Daytona's for DD?

Looking forward to your responses.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Probably closer to 16-25. Alot depends on what kind of city driving you are doing. WOT from light to light, or general follow the pack. For 5-7 K you can get quite a few ponies from Heads/Cam/Headers/Predator. There are some n/a 5.7's running mid 12's, which is nothing to shake a stick at, especially in a 4 door.
Plus's to me: Its UNIQUE. relatively speaking. You wont see one at every corner. The seats do a fine job supporting you, and the dual climate controls, heated seats, and if you get the steering wheel controls and nav, etc, its a nice sound system. It wont blow you away, but it does just fine. Cornering is not too bad, but is not as sporty as it could be. I dont feel as attached to the road as I would like, but coming out of an F150 it felt really awesome the first month or so. The autostick is a fun toy, but it isnt a stick.
I would have bought a stang if not for the 9 year old who is taller than her mother that rides in the back seat. You will NOT have a mustang, and you will sure know it when you sit in a Daytona. What you WILL have is a very sporty, fun to drive 4 door family car that gets tons of looks pickin up groceries, and will pick up at least 1 compliment a day. (Or close enough to it)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ok, so I do not own a Charger, but I am looking at trading in my S/C 03 Mach 1 on an 07 Daytona. From the Daytona owners and fellow Charger owners, what do you think of this move? I know I will suffer a little in the power dept, but I think the 4 doors and performance are more appealing to me at this point in my life. What are some of the love / hates from you Daytona owners? Is the gas mileage really around 14/25? What about just the general daily driver aspect of a Daytona?

I love mine! I lowered her with KWV2's and hotchkis sways. Thats the only mods so far, except mud guards! Awesome. Sometimes i wish for a standard 6 speed, but ya cant have everything! Plenty of room for everything ya need. ..Gas mileage????? Like you do better than 14/25 with your rustang????? I doubt it!
Man go Man

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have an '07 Mustang. The Charger rides much better, has much more comfortable seats, and a much tighter body and suspension. It's obviously much bigger, so it is more bulky and doesn't handle as well. They're like comparing apples and oranges, basically.

If I had to choose one over the other, the Mustang would have to go. No question about it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Plum Crazy with 20's outta the lot. No nav system or rear DVD, but did have the factory Sirius. Power sun roof, RT, everything i would have wanted.

TBY hits it on the head, their not very plentiful, even less so north of the border up here. I saw mine on the corner of the lot, signed the papers later that day, had no mileage on it, just rolled off the truck night before. Still only one in town.

Ride wise, this was my first real new car and i love it to death. The ride on the 20's is very smooth, high speed turning and she sticks like a glove to the road.

Mileage wise it gets alot better. Maybe put 2.5k on er and i've noticed a huge differance when she's broken in abit. The 4/8 Valve kick in really helps with highway driving gas wise.

Comfort...i'm not the smallest guy, 6' 7" and counting. So being a full size rules, very comfortable. 4 door makes it versatile and the outer styling keeps it aggresive enough to stack against the 'Stangs. Huge trunk will hold my custom sub box and still full access to the spare and battery hole.

My only gripe.....i'm not keen on modding the outside the car. I love it so much as is, and with the colored numbered thing, don't really wanna mess it up. The inside though.....well thats differant hehe.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You will NOT have a mustang, and you will sure know it when you sit in a Daytona. What you WILL have is a very sporty, fun to drive 4 door family car that gets tons of looks pickin up groceries, and will pick up at least 1 compliment a day. (Or close enough to it)
Im with him. Got rid of my 98 Cobra for this car.

Have you driven one yet?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gas mileage????? Like you do better than 14/25 with your rustang????? I doubt it!
Man go Man

Why the hate? I am looking at a Daytona and simply asking some questions. I dont get it, I come in here to seek advice/comments from actual owners not the crap you read in magazines and I get the hate.

Mango, my Mach gets 17 city with a 4.10 rear gear and runs [email protected] in the qtr with a DA of 1900'. Care to find out if you can keep up? Granted I dont have 4 doors, which is why I am looking at getting rid of her.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Mango, my Mach gets 17 city with a 4.10 rear gear and runs [email protected] in the qtr with a DA of 1900'. Care to find out if you can keep up? Granted I dont have 4 doors, which is why I am looking at getting rid of her.

I always wanted a Mach. I love the way they look and how well they respond to FI. I really miss my Cobra but with 2 kids and a possible other, it wasnt happening. Do you have any hp/tq #'s?

IMO, I think he was joking...but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You will NOT have a mustang, and you will sure know it when you sit in a Daytona. What you WILL have is a very sporty, fun to drive 4 door family car that gets tons of looks pickin up groceries, and will pick up at least 1 compliment a day. (Or close enough to it)
TBY, thank you for the honest response! Your post prety much sums up why I am looking at selling the Mach and buy a Daytona. 4 Doors, nice trunk, and awesome looks. BTW I stopped at the local dealer and checked it out, but I am planning on driving it this weekend, and looking forward to it.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Blown, dont let some folks who get carried away detract from the very useful info which some of us are more than willing to share with you. You will come real close to the 17 city unless you are very aggressive in town. The MDS really makes the long drives fairly efficient (I average about 25/gal going up to salt lake from vegas) Its just over 400 miles and I make it on a tank doing 85. It is also VERY comfy, even in the back seat over long haul trips. If you have one near you, some Enterprise locations rent Sublime Daytonas. They are a premium in rental fees, but driving one over a weekend will give you such a better feel for the car than we could possibly do online telling you what our seat of the pants feels like. Also, dont forget, 08's are Hemi Orange! That color almost makes me want to upgrade. I wont though, because I have 3K plus in upgrades on the car to make it "MINE" already.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I always wanted a Mach. I love the way they look and how well they respond to FI. I really miss my Cobra but with 2 kids and a possible other, it wasnt happening. Do you have any hp/tq #'s?

IMO, I think he was joking...but I could be wrong.
I have two kids as well and the Mach just sits in the garage except for shows. I am running a P1 and putting down 460rwhp and 412 tq on a Mustang Dyno. My times were on my 425 tune and only my second time at the track. The car has 11's in her, but I am not so sure about the driver. LOL

Please do not ge me wrong, I am not trolling or here to start beef! I simply want to get opinions from the people who own the cars, rather then what a dealer or magazine wants me to know.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blown, dont let some folks who get carried away detract from the very useful info which some of us are more than willing to share with you. You will come real close to the 17 city unless you are very aggressive in town. The MDS really makes the long drives fairly efficient (I average about 25/gal going up to salt lake from vegas) Its just over 400 miles and I make it on a tank doing 85. It is also VERY comfy, even in the back seat over long haul trips. If you have one near you, some Enterprise locations rent Sublime Daytonas. They are a premium in rental fees, but driving one over a weekend will give you such a better feel for the car than we could possibly do online telling you what our seat of the pants feels like. Also, dont forget, 08's are Hemi Orange! That color almost makes me want to upgrade. I wont though, because I have 3K plus in upgrades on the car to make it "MINE" already.
Great idea about the rental! I will have to see if we have one around here in Tampa. Thx!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I own both and I have to admit, I envy my wife. When I do get a chance to take her Daytona out, I love it a lot more than my Mustang. I love how it rides, handles and looks. The power is a lot greater than I thought it would be, you can't beat the space, and man does it look aggressive. It actually makes me want to trade the stang in on an SRT-8 but I am stuck with her for the time being.

Either way you go, welcome and feel free to hang around no matter what car you drive. There is a good deal of knowledge on this forum and very few haters.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
The mustang is a bit rough around the edges, nice car and all, but Charger is refined. Daytona doesn't like city driving for mileage, hwy is a different ball game. You'll be disappointed in the power going from what you have, but gaining a very nice riding and very nice handling and reasonably powered sedan. Make sure you either drive a Daytona or R/T with R&T pkg. There is a big difference. I drove a whole bunch of fords including a mustang GT before choosing the Daytona.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I own an '06 Torred Daytona. Because of my commute (mostly highway) I average between 21 - 23 MPG. I think that is on the high side, but since I don't drive much around town, I can take advantage of the MDS.

I think Mustangs are great, and was bitten early by the 'stang bug when my older cousin took me for a ride in her '64. Still, as a practical matter, I need 4 doors and rooooom in the car. I like the fold down back seats, which are useful when you need to transport lots of stuff or bigger items. You can even fold down one side, which means its OK to put someone in the back (assuming that you have a kid who cannot yet ride up front b/c of the air bags.)

I have heard complaints about the Charger interior, but I like the way it looks and appreciate the layout and styling of the dash.

Before I bought, I did rent a Charger and drove it about 400 miles. That really helped me in my decision-making.

After 8000 miles and 7 months, I am still very pleased with my Charger. Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy .....

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
We bought our Charger because of a bigger trunk for family vacations. Which we have taken on vacation and almost got 26mpg. We have two kids and as they say, can we take the Hot Rod to the library or wherever we may be going? We all love it. Good luck on your decision. Can't say we have any complaints about it.

Except we don't want to drive the Daytona this winter.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hey whats up, I am married with no kids and bought a daytona. I test drove a new stang and the daytona and my mind was set. The mach is an awsome car especially s/c, but if you want more speed as well try an srt8 charger. The only reason I didnt get one is cause the powertrain warranty is not given on the srt8. you will not be disappointed

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sounds like you're in a similar position I'm in. I'm a sports car kind of guy but needed a family car since I now have a kid and unfortunately, don't have the funds for both. I could have picked up a 2005 Corvette Z06 that had only 3000 miles for a ridiculously low price from a family friend in the local corvette club (both my parents drive Vettes). I ended up having to pass because I had to have 2 vehicles that could fit 3 people in it and was an automatic for the wife to be able to drive. I still cry a little thinking about it. :lol:

Thankfully I saw a Daytona not too long after that and fell in love with the looks instantly. After a test drive, I knew it was the car for me. It has the sports car look and feel with the practicality and size of a family car.

Mine's a daily commuter as well and I put 40+ miles on it going to and from work. It's comfortable, handles extremely well for a car its size, and it turns heads everywhere I go. My gas mileage is usually between 15-18 for my commutes (lots of traffic) and 20-23 on trips. As you know, you will be giving up some power and performance for practicality when you go from your Mustang to a Daytona. Though many of us (including myself) love to think our Chargers are the king of the road, the fact is they're not. There are several faster cars out there, and there are several cars out there that are more luxurious. But there are very few out there that combine muscle car looks, performance, family car practicality, comfort, and luxury all in one package the way the upper end Chargers do.

Test drive one and see if it’s the right car for you. If you can’t locate a Daytona to test drive, then test drive an R/T that has the Road and Track package as it’s pretty much the same thing minus the spiffy colors and decals. If it's not powerful enough for you and you have the extra funds, give the SRT8 a try. The ultimate solution though for you problem is to keep your Mustang and buy a Daytona as well. :p

As for dislikes and problems, I do (or did) have a few:

1. Exhaust note is a bit mild out of the factory. Removing the muffler suitcase is a cheap way to resolve that though (Brylcream mod)
2. After years of driving manual transmissions, the automatic transmission seems quirky to me. Sometimes I hit the gas and it just doesn't seem to have the response I'm looking for. Using the autostick shifting makes this a non issue but my gas mileage suffers some when I use it.
3. My satellite system was hosed out of the factory. It took 5 months for the dealer to finally get it fixed so I could listen to the Sirius system. I don't think it's a common problem though.
4. Tranny leaked. This was a common problem with the 2006 due to a bad gasket. I've had no problems with it since the gasket was replaced.
5. A bit of rattle from the sun roof when it's open. It's not bad, but I hear it from time to time when I'm on rough roads.
6. I wish it was faster. Granted it could do 0-60 in 4 seconds and I'd still wish it was faster. ;)

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Ok, so I do not own a Charger, but I am looking at trading in my S/C 03 Mach 1 on an 07 Daytona. From the Daytona owners and fellow Charger owners, what do you think of this move? I know I will suffer a little in the power dept, but I think the 4 doors and performance are more appealing to me at this point in my life. What are some of the love / hates issues from you Daytona owners? Is the gas mileage really around 14/25? What about just the general daily driver aspect of a Daytona? How many use their Daytona's for DD?

DO IT! you won't look back. You'll get much more attention in the Daytona. Plus you can get Sirus and Navigation. Not to mention the cool factor.
The best milage I've gotten is 23mpg (according to the EVIC readout) and anywhere from 13mpg to 18mpg in city driving. (depending on my right foot)
I LOVE my Daytona. The ONLY thing I would change about it is I'd make it a SRT8. Good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Hey blown, the charger is one nice ride. Owning a Dodge Intrepid R/T, Pon. GTP, and a Chrysler Crossfire, The Charger gets it hands down. Gas milage was as TBY says 17/25 stock. I have the Predator tuner and I now get 27.5 to 28.5 on the rode. Almost 18.5 around town now. As long as my foot and the firewall don't get to intimate that is!!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts