Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we start out with 2.82:1(3.06 for SRT8) gear ratio, it seems like a good place to upgrade. Yet I haven't seen the ring and pinions for sale and nobody talks about this mod. With a 4,000 lb car and an engine with good upper RPM HP, it seems a 3.23 or 3.42 would really make a difference.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
So far, the computer hasnt been circumvented to allow such. Diablo says they have, but that hasnt been tested yet.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bet the reason for it is the tranny will never keep!! When they have a manual to offer then I am sure the performance engineers will deliver something to us. But I agree, it would be great to have what the Jeep GC SRT 8 uses for that rear.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Not that at all. This tranny is fine. The low ratio is becuase with five speeds, you dont so much need a 3.23 as you do with a four speed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not that at all. This tranny is fine. The low ratio is becuase with five speeds, you dont so much need a 3.23 as you do with a four speed.
It would be interesting to see how the performace would change using the 5 speed auto. Jumping out of the whole would be a different experience. It would be a great mod..

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Has anyone here seen this information? The only thing holding me back is money! Oh, and my wife. She's great, but thinks her mini van is the shiznit. She just dosen't get my pasion for cars?

http://www.keislerauto.com/mopar/transmissions/6-speed.html
I am sure I will be corrected on this, but I believe the problem is with this tranny was the computer wouldnt coop. There was a thread here somewhere about this. I have that same magazine at home.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
It was actually that the gears in the rear made the trans eat up clutches like Tic-Tacs:) The shift points were wacked, and the only solution was to get rear gears working, which they either couldnt, or wern'nt willing to do, or change the ratios in the trans itself, uber-costly.

So, the product waits gears. You cant buy it, except for the test car, which, as noted, will break your wallet with clutch buys.

·
Registered
660 Posts
It was actually that the gears in the rear made the trans eat up clutches like Tic-Tacs:).
haha, I applaud you on your use of a Tic Tac reference.
Well Played!

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
(takes a bow)

Thank you, Good Sir!!!!!!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Someone on the forums asked about the SRT swap in an R/T, but he got a reply that HAL wouldn't allow such a thing and would not function properly, so i'm guessing this mod is more than just a rear gear swap and PLUG AND PLAY sort of mod, u would also need to get around HAL...

The Mustang and Chevy boys seem to replace most there rear ends to 3.42s and 3.73, even 4.10s on GTs and Cobra... Making them cover 1/4 mile runs and clock speedos in no time, but the negative side is it would be so bad on the fuel economy due to the lift of the RPMs, cruising at higher RPMs is the down side i guess, but it will put a smile on your face at WOT...

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
From what I remember, the Starscan tool would not allow you to manually input in the pinion gear ratio. The Starscan tool only has pre-determined numbers to select.

I believe this is why no one has messed with it yet.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Gears would be cool. However something to think about is that the Chargers first gear ratio is 3.58:1 and coupled with the with a 2.82 rear gear it has a higher torque multiplication than my Durango that has a 3.91 rear gear (first gear is 2.45:1 in the Durango). Does that make any sense? :confused: :lol:

Todd

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am an old timer but I think we should have a lower overall gear ratio(at least a 3.73) and the overdrive is what should get our cars the gas mileage at highway speeds. I had a 1993 Camaro with the 6 speed manual with I think 3.73 or 3.02 gears-That was a long time ago- it would get 20+ mpg on the highway because the 6th gear was an extreme overdrive.
I do love my Daytona, but the feel of torque even using the autostick is not near the same feeling.
Randy

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
is the rear in the srt8 different? I know it's a different ratio. Is the srt8 a different trans?
The SRT8 has a different ring gear size.
The RTs have a 210mm ring gear and the SRT8s have a 215mm.
The housings are also different.

The transmissions are the same.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How about putting some little wheel and tires and seeing how it runs?

·
Registered
676 Posts
The Mustang and Chevy boys seem to replace most there rear ends to 3.42s and 3.73, even 4.10s on GTs and Cobra... Making them cover 1/4 mile runs and clock speedos in no time, but the negative side is it would be so bad on the fuel economy due to the lift of the RPMs, cruising at higher RPMs is the down side i guess, but it will put a smile on your face at WOT...
To counteract the increased gearing you would need to install something like what Gear Vendors supplies, an aux. overdrive transmission. Basically you split the gears that you have. So instead of going 1-2-3-4-5 through the gears, you would go 1 - 1.5 - 2 - 2.5 - 3 - 3.5 - 4 - 4.5 - 5 - 5.5

So instead of having it end at gear 5, you would be able to go to gear 5.5, or gear 10 if it's easier to think of it that way. They are costly, but I hear they are pretty good for things that rev high on the highways, such as motor homes and old 3 speed transmissions.

Here is a link: http://www.gearvendors.com/

·
Registered
416 Posts
Some one PLEASE make us some gears!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts