Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the stalling issue a few weeks ago, talked to the service advisor at my local Dodge dealer, requested they order the new tank.
I understand the rear cradle, drive shaft, and exhaust have to be dropped to remove/install the tank. Seems fairly invasive.

So, questions are, for those of you that have had the fuel tank replaced, were there any new issues introduced after the tank was replaced?
Any issues with exhaust, drive shaft, rear suspension after the tank replacement?
Any issues with the new tank or the install? (leaks, gas gauge readings off, etc.?)
Any concerns I need to be aware of or watch out for?

As Always, THANKS in advance!

Tim

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Had the stalling issue a few weeks ago, talked to the service advisor at my local Dodge dealer, requested they order the new tank.
I understand the rear cradle, drive shaft, and exhaust have to be dropped to remove/install the tank. Seems fairly invasive.

So, questions are, for those of you that have had the fuel tank replaced, were there any new issues introduced after the tank was replaced?
Any issues with exhaust, drive shaft, rear suspension after the tank replacement?
Any issues with the new tank or the install? (leaks, gas gauge readings off, etc.?)
Any concerns I need to be aware of or watch out for?

As Always, THANKS in advance!

Tim
As far as I have heard from folks that have had it done, there were no issues with the procedure. It's just a car made up of parts and how many are removed and replaced is irrelevant. It's not like it's a living being that needs to be kept alive during the procedure. :)

It's really like any other service from a basic oil change to an engine swap. it's either done right or it isn't...and if not, they need to make it right.

Swapping out the tank isn't particularly difficult or tricky, it just needs to be done according to the proper procedure.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I have heard from folks that have had it done, there were no issues with the procedure. It's just a car made up of parts and how many are removed and replaced is irrelevant. It's not like it's a living being that needs to be kept alive during the procedure. :)

It's really like any other service from a basic oil change to an engine swap. it's either done right or it isn't...and if not, they need to make it right.

Swapping out the tank isn't particularly difficult or tricky, it just needs to be done according to the proper procedure.
I agree and understand what you're saying, but as I know and many others, some shops are better than others. Just wondering if there was anything to be aware of, watch out for, etc.
Not looking forward to any "it was doing that when you brought it in" statements if I can avoid them or head them off before they utter them.

Thanks!

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hope you had it covered by the new chrysler recall. If not contact your dealer and get the paperwork to be reimbursed!

·
Registered
110 Posts
The only negative that I had was the dealership scratched the paint around one of the exhaust tips. Otherwise, everything went perfectly!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's covered, had the service advisor confirm. Got it scheduled for Monday, along with the airbag recall.

Good to know about the scratches around the exhaust tips, I'll be sure to tell them any scratches, dents, dings, etc. will be on them to repair. Just had the car painted at the end of October, only have put about 1k miles on it since, so it's still pristine. Better be that way when I get it back!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I was one of the first to get it done years ago and no problems since.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the airbag recall and the new fuel tank installed on Monday. No major issues afterwards, no new dings, dents, or scratches.

But it now has a new noise, sounds like an exhaust leak.

I can hear it from the drivers seat, and it sounds like it's directly under the passenger side rear seat. It increases with speed with engine rpm, until the exhaust and engine noise covers it up. Can hear it best at idle with the HVAC and radio off. Cannot hear it outside the car at all. Makes me think the vapor from exhaust leak is hitting the underside of the floorboards from the top of the pipe.

Took it back to dealer to have them check it out, and of course, it was quiet as a mouse while it was there. The SA said they had it up on a lift running and trying to feel around and listen for an exhaust leak, found nothing.
They even took me back to the service bay, and it was quiet while I was there with it as well. Left the dealer and stopped to get groceries, and guess what, noise was back.

I know what an exhaust leak sounds like, and this fits the bill, but I also know that sometimes what a noise sounds like and what is actually causing it can be different things.
Could something inside the muffler or pipes have come loose causing the intermittent sound, defying the techs to find an actual leak? Car was up to full temp, and I've only noticed the noise at full temp.
Does not seem to have impacted performance, no CEL, no rough idle, etc. ; just the noise.

I suppose if it continues to bother me, I can take it to a professional exhaust shop and have them check it out.

Thoughts?
Opinions?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Well, let's take this logically. First, let's assume (for the moment) that the exhaust isn't leaking. What else could it be?

In the image below you can see what it looks like underneath...

The possibilities include the heat shields, fuel tank strap, side panel pan, connectors and harnesses. Any of these could vibrate in a harmonic with engine RPM and mimic an exhaust leak sound. The fact that you can't hear it outside suggests that it is a mechanical vibration against the underbody pans that is transmitted to the interior.

The only way to eliminate these would be to put the car on ramps and crawl under while the engine is running and see what might be vibrating under the passenger side rear seat.

Since they replaced the fuel tank, I would start with mechanical parts associated with that.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
In February I had tank replaced in 2006 Daytona.....Nothing but problems since.No stalling anymore. But get check gas cap message on display most of the time. Evap leak codes. Oil sender went out. Thermostat stuck Open .Two sets of plugs. Fuel pump bad. Incorrect oil code.Dead battery one day.I've spent more cash on repairs in six months then I ever had before. It has 220000 miles on it, but seems odd to me.Always well maintained.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi they replaced my tank 2 days ago with a new one for 06 charger rt. So far it seems ok,,they did break a bolt off on the exhaust
and had to order one, the 06 has a saddle tank.i have had trouble with this for a long time, stalling and such.hope this takes care of the problem ,has 106,000 miles on it,they also cleaned the fuel sock on it,i guess that slips on the fuel pump,they said it was dirty which I can see after 9 years. any way I learned when filling ,when the gas pump kicks off not to keep trying to fill it ,that caused some of my problems which is what a mechanic told me,dont know about the new tank yet, hope you get your problem taken care of. 06 mag pearl .I am lucky I have a friend that's a dodge mechanic went out on his own and is honest,however he did not put the tank on. because it being a warranty issue ,but we found the tsb on it ,and then I took it to the dealer for replacement

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
hi they replaced my tank 2 days ago with a new one for 06 charger rt. So far it seems ok,,they did break a bolt off on the exhaust
and had to order one, the 06 has a saddle tank.i have had trouble with this for a long time, stalling and such.hope this takes care of the problem ,has 106,000 miles on it,they also cleaned the fuel sock on it,i guess that slips on the fuel pump,they said it was dirty which I can see after 9 years. any way I learned when filling ,when the gas pump kicks off not to keep trying to fill it ,that caused some of my problems which is what a mechanic told me,dont know about the new tank yet, hope you get your problem taken care of. 06 mag pearl .I am lucky I have a friend that's a dodge mechanic went out on his own and is honest,however he did not put the tank on. because it being a warranty issue ,but we found the tsb on it ,and then I took it to the dealer for replacement
Thanks for posting about your resolution! Hopefully this puts a permanent end to your symptoms :bigthumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts