Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm a member on a couple other car forums as I'm currently doing research for a new car in the near future. Today I decided to head down to my local Dodge dealer and finally hop in one of these brand new 2011 badboys with the full expectation that I was going to be VERY underimpressed based on what I've heard, read and seen. BUT to my amazement, I was overwhelmed and shocked at the performance and ride of the car. Personally to me I need a car with a really nice interior and this car provides that for sure. I test drove both the 6 cyl and 8 cyl and there really isnt a comparison. The 8 is so much nicer, but I feel the 6 may be more in the price range when the time comes.

Just so you can all yell at me and call me stupid, the other car I've been considering is the Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring and I WAS considering the new Camaro V6 also, but that thing is a boat and you can't see anything on the road. But I do love the GenCoupe and it's definitely going to end up being between these two for my final decision.

I look forward to hearing from you guys and learning a lot as well. I will appreciate your input as to how you feel about the GenCoupe versus the Charger, but I am also aware that this is a Charger forum and the opinions will be biased. But that may be what I need to push me over the edge to get me into a Charger...

One last thing, does anyone have the AWD version and live in an area where it snows? I'm pretty sure that I'd be good with a nice set of snows with just the RWD, but I feel like the AWD would really be better for the winter. Any opinions on that? And does the AWD REALLY impact the performance NOTICEABLY?

Thanks guys and I look forward to having many conversations with you guys!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Welcome from O-Ville, PA. No one'll yell at you unless you decide to get a non-Charger car!!! :)

My understanding is that the RWD does well in the snow (I've never had mine in snow), but I also understand that the AWD has some significant changes to help with performance.

Now... on to the V6 vs. V8: Whenever I started looking in '06, I was thinking 3.5 for price and MPG reasons. After researching what was available on the dealer's lots, I found a couple grand extra would get me into a nicely equipped Hemi car. I've heard from a lot of V6 folks who get the same MPG as me, and what's a Charger without a Hemi.

Like you said, I'm biased because I bleed Mopar Blue... just wanted to share my thoughts.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Welcome to the forums from Vermont!!!

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Welcome from NorthShore, MA! Gabe has an AWD, I'm sure he'll chime in. I've driven my old R/T RWD and SRT in the snow and never had any issues and only all season tires, but I did use 3 30lb. tube sands. Naturally you have to drive cautiously.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Welcome from the great white north, we get alot of snow, as a matter of fact, the joke around here is that summer in these parts consists of 3 weeks of poor snowmobiling. Anyway, I use 4 snow tires on my RWD and never have a problem, but using your head helps alot, along with the ESP. Good luck man, buy the charger, you won't be sorry, cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the input guys! I've been driving a small 2005 Toyota Tacoma 2 wheel drive for the past 4 or 5 years in good weather and bad weather and I've become pretty confident with driving in snow. I feel like I'd be fine with the RWD and snows on it. I'm real excited to potentially get a Charger, the new ones are so beautiful. Hopefully pretty soon!

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

My '07 AWD has been great in the snow, especially with snow tires ... the sheer ability to stop on a snowy uphill and get going again with NO wheelspin is amazing :)

The 09+ cars use a different AWD system, one that's RWD unless a few conditions are seen, such as outside temp below 38 degrees, wipers on, Autostick mode engaged, and I believe 1 or 2 others.

In those instances, the 09+ cars automatically engage AWD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yah the AWD would be really nice. I kind of hope I can find a way to make it fit in the budget. Then it'd be perfect!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Welcome from Windsor, Ontario. Go for the Charger. I don't have any problems driving in the snow with all-season radials but we don't get as much snow as some other parts of the country. :beerchug:

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts