Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went down to Robert's Custom Exhaust in Stafford yesterday & had my exhaust done. Very pleased with it! Good guy & quality work. I went with the 2.5" Powersticks with an H-pipe. Love how it sounds..the MDS drone is a little annoying at first, but eventually I'll get used to it.

My only regret is using such short tips..they're 4" tips that are 5" long, I should've gone with the 18" long tips. I don't want to pay $80 for the new tips & $100 to swap them out though. Oh well. In the end I paid about $112 for the mufflers, $64 for the tips (Magnaflow), & about $500 to have it all installed with custom stainless steel piping. Much better than spending $1K+ for a fancy brand name setup..pipe is pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pj7Xx8Yn_4

Sorry for the second video segment being so short..he didn't know I was recording! I'll have to get a better one some day. The video doesn't do it justice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
sounds nice! Get some interior WOT shots!

·
Registered
39 Posts
WOW!! that's a lot of $$ for a crush bent system!!! What's custom about the stainless pipe he used? You realize that the system he built you will only flow the equivalent of about a 2" system because of it being crush bent? Hopefully your only going for sound and not performance. Sorry to be so harsh, just can't stand what these "pro's" at muffler shops charge.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW!! that's a lot of $$ for a crush bent system!!! What's custom about the stainless pipe he used? You realize that the system he built you will only flow the equivalent of about a 2" system because of it being crush bent? Hopefully your only going for sound and not performance. Sorry to be so harsh, just can't stand what these "pro's" at muffler shops charge.
Yep, I'm only going for sound. That's why I got an H-pipe also. Well he did use stainless everything, including the hangars. Actually he was the cheapest quote I had..everywhere else in the area quoted me $600-$700. Stuff's expensive in the DC region.

·
Registered
818 Posts
why would you want longer tips? those look just fine

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why would you want longer tips? those look just fine
Eh, I just think it looks better when you look at it, especially from the side. It'd look better if all you can see from the side is a 4" tip, rather than little 2" pipe connecting to a small tip. I don't want it to extend out beyond the bumper anymore, I want it to end in the same place...only longer going towards the front!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Dont forget that you can pick up a predator and turn off the MDS to eliminate that drone. Thats what I ended up doing with my aero turbine mufflers.

·
Registered
942 Posts
We have a total of about $140 in our exhaust system. Subtract $50(gift cards), and it's costed us $90 outta pocket. Originally had the suitcase removed($60). This past weekend we had a friend cut out the reso's and straight pipe it and put on some reso'd tips($88-$50=$33 total. Install was free). It sounds about the same, judging from the video. But I still am running the stock exhaust piping, which I believe is stainless, probably just a lower quality.
Mine is almost identical to the LoudMouth 1 kit(the guy that installed it has that on his Daytona), just doesn't crack as much.
Yours sounds great, but IMO, it's a bit overpriced.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
dude ur pretty much running straight pipes!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, it cost quite a bit but like I said, it was the cheapest I found in the area. I hate DC..haha. I wish I was back in Cali; I knew an exhaust shop that would've probably done it for $250.

MDS drone, meh...just turn the music up! I'd rather get the extra 5 mpg & put up with a little noise. I also have a moderately-modded '96 turboed Eclipse with a 3" exhaust..after a while I got used to the highway drone, so I'm sure I can get used to this. It's the other people riding in the car with me that'll complain!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Yep, it cost quite a bit but like I said, it was the cheapest I found in the area. I hate DC..haha. I wish I was back in Cali; I knew an exhaust shop that would've probably done it for $250.

MDS drone, meh...just turn the music up! I'd rather get the extra 5 mpg & put up with a little noise. I also have a moderately-modded '96 turboed Eclipse with a 3" exhaust..after a while I got used to the highway drone, so I'm sure I can get used to this. It's the other people riding in the car with me that'll complain!
Finally, someone that doesn't whine about drone. LOL. I had a 98 GTP w/ exhaust that droned like you wouldn't believe. My 86 Bronco(built 302) had short 10" turbo mufflers on it, droned like crazy. I ran my 03 Hemi Ram exhaustless for 3 months, couldn't even talk to the person next to you. Put a Flowmaster on that one after awhile. Now with the straightpipe on the Charger, the drone is there, but it's actually WORSE with all 8 cylinders than it is in MDS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts