Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got a Dodge Charger 2012 SRT8, which sounds... not very much with the original exhaust.

I bought a Magnaflow to repleace it and it sounded wonderful! But, alas - HUGE drone at certain RPM's. Unbearable! So I changed back to the original exhaust and had the rear mufflers removed completely - here is a video where you can hear the sound - it's a bit windy so it's not super clear:

It sounds *fantastic* The drone is pretty much completely gone. The idling is fantastic and when revving, wow!

So, if you want better sound from your Charger? Just cut the rear mufflers off - I will put mine back on and put on electrical cutouts so I can shut them when the wife wants to drive the car and open them completely when I drive it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
not a bad idea. i could just make space for bypass valves and not remove the resnos in first place, right?
ive also seen a video on YT with suitcase delete and resnos in place ..sounded great with no drone.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I run SLP Loudmouths. Drone, you get use to after the first couple of weeks. Should slap your magnaflows back on and just give it a bit.:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run SLP Loudmouths. Drone, you get use to after the first couple of weeks. Should slap your magnaflows back on and just give it a bit.:beerchug:
I had my Magnaflow on for about six months until the drone drove me mad. On low gears it was ok, but on the highway, ugh! And this solutions sounds as good - or maybe even *better* than the Magnaflow. I was completely blown away with how good the Charger sounds without the rear mufflers. Amazing sound

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm curious how many people have opted to install exhausts themselves or have a shop do it, I have my SLP LM1, slapped the system on myself to save on labor but alas it needed adjustment and IMO to be proper a few welds to make sure nothing shifts where it shouldn't. I can say there was a difference in sound just from going the first week with how I had the system on to how the shop had properly adjusted everything and snugged it down far better then I could have ever done with the tools I had on hand.

There is still drone at a very specific RPM/speed (usually 65mph or so) but this is nothing I haven't been able to get used to or overcome with a turn of my volume dial on the radio ;) The MDS can make some funny noises at times, but most of the time I run the car in the 'manual shift' mode thus the MDS never kicks in.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
So, I got a Dodge Charger 2012 SRT8, which sounds... not very much with the original exhaust.

I bought a Magnaflow to repleace it and it sounded wonderful! But, alas - HUGE drone at certain RPM's. Unbearable! So I changed back to the original exhaust and had the rear mufflers removed completely - here is a video where you can hear the sound - it's a bit windy so it's not super clear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSKjtrv31oY

It sounds *fantastic* The drone is pretty much completely gone. The idling is fantastic and when revving, wow!

So, if you want better sound from your Charger? Just cut the rear mufflers off - I will put mine back on and put on electrical cutouts so I can shut them when the wife wants to drive the car and open them completely when I drive it!
I thoguth the rear mufflers are resonators - im surprised you have no drone without resonators?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know everyone is concerned with the drone when putting on new exhaust, but I'm wondering since I have an 11' Mopar Charger, which has a slightly larger gear in the rear, if the drone would not be as big a factor on my car as it runs higher RPM's with the gear in the rear.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another video of my *original* exhaust

So here is another clip with some more examples. This is with the cutouts added and fully open. The exhaust note is *wonderful* and rivals that of Magnaflow easily. I have NO drone whatsoever in any RPM since the original MDS muffler is still on, I just love this setup, and using the remote, I can close the cutouts and the wife can go down to the store without being ashamed :)

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Only time I have drone is when giving it a tiny bit of gas... Any other time MDS is on and it is super quiet, I start giving it gas and in low rpms it gives a good rumble but the higher the rpms get the more it disappears

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
did you hit something at the 18 second mark? lol it sounds like you ran something off the road..lol

·
Registered
735 Posts
new here

Hey I'm a noob with this stuff, can someone explain what it means to remove the muffler and install electrical cutouts?

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey I'm a noob with this stuff, can someone explain what it means to remove the muffler and install electrical cutouts?
You would let a shop do it. Look in the video I posted and you'll see a shot in the beginning of the cutouts.

A part of the exhaust pipe just on the last bend is removed, and a cutout is inserted and then it's all welded up nice and tight so when the cutout is closed the exhaust works just like before. But when you use the remote to open the cutout, the sound is let out before the muffler, which is what you hear in the video.

Sounds as good as, or maybe even better, than Magnaflow. Plus, it has NO drone what so ever. 100% drone free and amazing sound, it's amazing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You have to keep in remind though about the ground clearance. With my installation I lost about inch - which is for parking houses exit potential problem, when you already have factory lowered Charger as SRT8

1 - 20 of 39 Posts