Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I have a new noise... first one was a mild rattling inside my driver's door at speed... this one is not as tolerable.

The passenger area makes creaking / squaking noises, about at the glove compartment height and higher. I think it's inside the dash, doesn't seem to be anything inside the glove compartment but possibly around the passenger side dash speaker.

I had to have the windshield replaced and I haven't ruled that out as the cause.. and I have a loud custom exhaust which likes to resonate my passenger compartment... and I like my music loud too :p

It seems to only happen once the Charger is warmed-up... not often when cold. For a long time I just figured it was my laptop bag rattling but on a weekend trip I heard it happen without the baggage and got really angry.

Not sure if it's something loosened by the exhaust or by loud music or what... but I want it gone. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
welcome to the club i too have the same problem it's freaking annoying.....hope you get help!:eek:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have it too. It seems like the forward dash panel is hitting/vibrating against the windshield when going over bumps. I have had it to the dealer 4 times so far and still there. I'm taking it there one more time and it better get fixed. Maybe it needs a new dash panel or some foam in the corner to isolate that piece.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
welcome to the club! i have he same problem but only in the morning when the sun as been beating on the dash-with in a couple of miles with the AC on it stops. i think its part of the air bag system thats making the noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Everyone, New to posting on this site. I have the same problem and have had in the shop 3 times, we have (I do mean we cause I wasn't leaving until we found something) discovered that on my car the passenger side mirror assembly is loose?? so loose that it can be moved up and down by hand. the stealer is ordering a new one, so hopefully this will fix it. I also just started getting the creaking sound and the tech that rode with me seems to think that the moon roof glass is the cause and will investigate when I take it back in. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the plastic inlay on the steering wheel around the NAV control buttons cracking? IT seems that if you do that the stealer has to order a new steering wheel and rebuild it with the parts from my steering wheel, seems kinda silly to me. :confused:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Yeah, I have a similar issue. It comes and goes. I thought it was a speaker, but I don't think that is the case.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The upper part of the dash on the right side at the windshield uses two screws to secure it to the body, The problem is that you are not screwing directly into the body . There are pressed in clips that the screws go into ( if you look in the pic you can see these silver clips just under the screw holes ), the problem occurs when the clips move in and out of the body holes when the car flexes causing the creaking / squaking noises . If you want to see if this is the problem , you need to remove the access cover near the windshield and remove the two 7 mm screws . Dont worry they really dont do anything with all the other screws that hold that dash to the body . If the noise goes away its the clips that the screw goes into under the dash. .
Here is a link from the 300 guys -http://www.300cforums.com/forums/tech-tips-diy-how/43245-how-stop-dash-rattles-squeaks-permanently.html?highlight=dash+rattle

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I too have (or had) that problem, which I fixed last week!
Here's what I ended up doing (sorry, I didn't take pics. I recall reading about this in another thread a long time ago):

My thinking - rattles are something loose, squeaks are something rubbing. I found both loose things, and potentially rubbing things:

Pull the A pillar covers off - just dig your finger underneath the upper portion, and pull (pretty hard if they've never been off). They will not come all the way off until you release a clip. Find the black plastic shaft. Where it goes into the body, there is a black plastic clip. Use a small flashlight if you're not familiar with it, I can do it blindfolded by now, and you'll see where you squeeze the sides of the clip, at the surface of the body, to remove the clip.
Do this on each side, drivers and passenger.

Then, pull the dashboard cover off, underneath the windshield. It's a tight fit again if never removed (I had never had mine off, and my thumb STILL hurts).

I found three things. My passenger side speaker, outside screw was loose.

And, I noticed there is a LOT of play in the right side of the dashboard cover, below the windshield. I cut an 8" or so piece of rubber off one of those rubber "bungee cords", you know the real heavy duty ones with steel S hooks on each end, and neatly shoved that in between the top of the dashboard and the windshield.

Also, along the front most edge of the cover you remove, are about 4 plastic tangs that stick out. I filed those down a bit, and for good measure applied a tiny bit of teflon grease. Put it all back together, and it hasn't rattled or squeaked since.

It usually occurred for me when I took off in the morning, with some kind of heat on. After it seemed to warm up a bit, the squeak started. I think it's different materials warming up at different rates.

Mind that the clips that hold the dashboard cover came off with the cover, and did not remain in the dashboard - two of mine got left behind. I transferred those to the cover before reinstalling it.

Also, put the A pillar clips (black plastic) removed earlier, back in position before reattaching the covers. Again, the clip is removed / installed by squeezing the SIDES, the squeezed part does not go up/down direction.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yes thanks Canuk RT/RT too bad Canadian Tire is closed today for CDN Thanksgiving... looks like I need some felt pads !

Edit: And thanks joescat (just posted b4 I could get this up lol) the TSB link on that 300C forum fix also mentioned needing to remove the A-pillar cover on the Magnum so I figured it might need to come off on the Charger too (the TSB is from 2005) so your description is appreciated though the job description on the 300C forum seems a bit easier so I'll try that first ;)

I'll report back when I get this done. And here I was thinking our Chryslers have come such a long way in the buzz, squeak and rattle dept. :monster:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I have it too!!! On the pass side speaker. What I did was spray some WD-40 around it (ya I know it Stinks, but it goes away). That lasted about two days, but I only sprayed a little bit. If my wife holds the speaker it doesn't "chirp". But I tried today holding my dash at the center bezel and guess what... no "chirp". What I'm going to do is give a real good squirt along all the seam lines on the dash. I really think its a dash-to-windshield "chirp" at this point. I need to get a new can of WD though (my son used up what I had left!), and will report in if this method works.

Rich

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
dont spary WD 40 on your plastics!! it will eat it up over time and if it drips down on to the windshield seal it can over time eat that way and cause a leak.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
dont spary WD 40 on your plastics!! it will eat it up over time and if it drips down on to the windshield seal it can over time eat that way and cause a leak.
I use it a work (printing/34 years) and NEVER had any trouble with WD eating plastic, film, plastic gears, housings, rubber fittings...etc. In fact its keeps most of the soft rubber on the presses from cracking and drying out.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I use it a work (printing/34 years) and NEVER had any trouble with WD eating plastic, film, plastic gears, housings, rubber fittings...etc. In fact its keeps most of the soft rubber on the presses from cracking and drying out.
Still... there's NO WAY I am squirting WD40 in my interior. I'm gonna do the felt pad thing but it will take me a while to get to it, busy week.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've had this same sound as everyone else. It all started when i had it in for a short behind my dash that they fixed. I then took it back for the sound i was getting (squeeking) and they said they put some foam back there to keep it more impact. I was like oh wow i could of done that. It was better for some time but now it's started acting up like crazy..Drives me nuts!! I'm gonna check out the screws and see if that works and just look around myself and see if I see anything moving.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You have to do this fix yourself because the dealer won't take the time or effort to do it right. I gave them 4 attempts. This is how I finally fixed mine. Remove dash panel by windshield. Removed screw on right side of dash because that was the only one that was squeaking. I placed rigid foam, approx 3/4" thick by 5" long, under each corner of the dash and under where the vent openings are(that is where it is flimsy and would rattle against the windshield). Placed light coat of grease on all contact points of dash panel and then reinstalled dash panel making sure all connections are in place. Results--- No squeaks or rattles. I'm pretty sure this will be the last time dealing with this problem. Actual time to make this repair approx. 45 minutes. Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Same thing! The piece of cardboard (a derivative of the old matchbook trick) I shoved between the glass and the dash trim did the trick. Temporarily, of course! Now, I know how to fix it the right way.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.