Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

In a bid to get inventory moving out of showrooms in a hurry, Chrysler has decided to offer a new incentive program that would double the value of the government's cash-for-clunkers program.

Chrysler will offer $4,500 off (or 0 percent financing for 72 months) on most of its 2009 inventory - excluding the Dodge Challenger, Sprinter, Jeep Wrangler and all SRT products. The $4,500 incentive is even available on vehicles that do not meet the requirements for the cash-for-clunkers program, which was recently signed off on by President Obama.

Cash-for-Clunkers, or CARS (Car Allowance Rebate System) gives a $4,500 rebate on a new car when it gets 10 mpg or more better fuel mileage than the one traded in. The rebate is $3,500 on vehicles that get 4 to 9 mpg better or trucks that get 2 to 4 mpg better.

Chrysler, now under new leadership from Italian automaker Fiat is hoping the incentive will help sales rebound. Chrysler has been hit particularly hard this year with sales down 45.7 percent for the first six months.

When combined, these two offers mean a $17,090, Dodge Caliber SE could leave showrooms for as little as $8,090.

Chrysler's "Double Ca$h for Your Old Car," incentive starts July 23 and runs through August.

More: New Chrysler Incentive Doubles Cash-for-Clunkers Rebate on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
305 Posts
What infuriates me is that us taxpayers are helping to pay for other people's cars!

:soapbox:

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Just called my dealer and he confirmed. Might be getting me an SXT Dodge Caliber as a daily driver :) - For $8,000+ tax for a brand new vehicle you can't beat the price.

·
Registered
210 Posts
WHat happens to the trade in ?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I just did it.......a $20,000+ Caliber SXT for $12,500 out the door. You would need a car that gets less than 15 mPG on the trade in to get the full $4500. I was trading in a 1988 Lincoln town car and the Govt rated that at 18mpg. It appears that on the officail rating site, the over estimated mileage to limit the number of people that can get the 4500.

The car that you trade in will get crushed...that is part of the deal. You also have to prove ownership and insurance on the trade vehicle for at least one year. the car must also be newer than 1984. The dealership I was at in Suburban Detroit was packed. they were basically almost out of cars that would qualify for this program. This is only for 2009 cars. I would say that be early next week, it will be difficult to find something that you want.

·
Registered
866 Posts
If only I had a beater to trade in.

Did they really ask for you to prove that you had insurance for a full year prior to trading it in?

·
Registered
445 Posts
If only I had a beater to trade in.

Did they really ask for you to prove that you had insurance for a full year prior to trading it in?
Yes....I had to show my last couple of proof of insurances and registrations.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The car that you trade in will get crushed...that is part of the deal. want.
Yeah, so they say. Betcha they will get shipped to some 3rd world country. Glad to see my taxpayer dollars are being put to good use. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yeah, so they say. Betcha they will get shipped to some 3rd world country. Glad to see my taxpayer dollars are being put to good use. :rolleyes2:
Not likely as the cost to ship these cars would far exceed any value they might have left in them. In addition, since these cars get such crappy mileage, they would not be cost effective in "third world" countries where gas is so expensive. I guess I will have to keep an eye out for a ragged out 1988 Lincoln town car the next time I go to Indonesia.....LOL

Tax wise.....it sucks for all of us but I am sure if you happen to have a car that qualified.......you too would take advantage if you had a need for an upgrade. I look at it as at least I am getting some of my own tax $$$ back.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I agree.^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bugs me too, but as the saying goes, If you can't beat em....join em.
Just picked up our new Torred Avenger for a great deal! Can't beat $8000 in rebates for a explorer trade in with over 200k miles and pieces falling off every time you close a door.
Avenger will make a great little daily driver for the wife.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Not likely as the cost to ship these cars would far exceed any value they might have left in them.
Like the expense of shipping old beat up cars would stop the government. Look at the great job they've done so far to save money. :bigthumb: (insert sarcasm here)

·
Registered
9 Posts
My mom did this last night traded in her 99 blazer for a 09 caliber sxt. Paid 10 grand.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I must say I'm thoroughly disgusted by the Cash-for-Clunkers program. One of the restrictions is that the vehicle being traded in must be taken off the road (to be replaced by a more fuel-efficient one), and to ensure nobody "cheats the system", the oil has to be drained and the engine run withsodium silicate until it dies. Here's just a few examples of perfectly good vehicles being destroyed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waj2KrKYTZo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LidmCvdUMeg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OhW9u9R49w

Really, this might help a car manufacturer's bottom line, but not much else. The Cash-for-Clunkers program may be enough to convince those who already can afford to buy a new vehicle, but the entire point of the program (as presented to the consumer) is to get older, fuel-inefficient, polluting vehicles off the road.

While destroying the engine does just that, there's a lot more *far* worse polluters (10, 15, 20 years old) still being driven by those who will never be able to afford to buy a new car anyway--government program or not. Since these now destroyed (but still newer) vehicles are no longer on the market, they'll probably keep *their* worse clunkers for even longer...

Additionally--and I'm not a tree hugger in any way, shape, or form--but this sort of waste only makes sense if manufacturing a new vehicle has no environmental cost, which clearly isn't the case.

First one to post a video of an SRT-8 being destroyed for the sake of a more fuel-efficient car gets an ass-kicking.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
First one to post a video of an SRT-8 being destroyed for the sake of a more fuel-efficient car gets an ass-kicking.
They would deserve to get thier ass beat because you would be trading in a $20K vehicle, but under the program could only recieve a maximum of $4500 for it.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
While those who can take advantage of this program will get a great discount, I completely disagree with the whole program. After giving GM and Chrysler billions of our tax dollars we now subsidize the cars they sell with more of our tax dollars. This does not boost the growth of the car industry but creates a false spike in sales by robbing future sales. Watch and see how sales take a dive even lower than before the program started when it stops. Only people thinking of buying a car anyway will take advantage of this. Destroying the trades also takes these cars off the market for those who can only afford an older used car, the poor. The junk yards are getting screwed in this deal since they "have" to crush these cars and can't sell parts off of them. So again, if you need to repair or older car the parts will not be available.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
i would like to see them give these cars to non profit org and to people who are trying to make an honest living and are just getting by. help someone out there would do alot of good

·
Registered
42 Posts
They would deserve to get thier ass beat because you would be trading in a $20K vehicle, but under the program could only recieve a maximum of $4500 for it.
I somehow have the impression that some of the vehicles in the videos I linked to are also worth more than $4500...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts