Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been lurking on this board for a while, since I bought my R/T Charger, and just thought I'd throw out my two cents on my experience.

First, the Hemi power is incredible. I've read about the break-in time which is allegedly needed but since the test drive I've had to make a conscious effort not to chirp the tires leaving parking lots. Whoever is disappointed with a perceived lack of power must have cut their teeth on dragsters. I get on the road (after chirping the tires) press on the throttle, and the growl is instant. Suddenly I'm doing 40 with "police sweats" and a huge grin. I pray that no car is in front of me when I on-ramp onto the freeway. I actually look forward to getting behind a sunday driver, just so i can slow down to 55 and then punch it around them. I love getting stopped at traffic lights now.

I think there is a thread around here with someone celebrating a GT's ability to "beat" the Charger in 0-60 and 1/4 mile by less than a second...and? Not even a second? That's a hell of a tag line for the next Ford commercial: "Beat a 5-speed auto that carries five in luxury." This car is SO nice inside and I can carry clients in comfort, without excuses or apologies.

My only disappointments are the polite sound coming from the exhaust, the lack of tint (I'm in California and tint should be mandatory), and the steering. Inside it sounds like it should. Outside, I can see the disappointment in people's faces when I'm in park and rev the engine...way too high pitched. But a trip to Midas this week to install Flowmaster 40 Deltas should fix that.

The steering is way too mushy...it has too much "power" in the power steering. The slightest left or right movement and the car is moving in that direction a little too quickly. My personal preference is for a little more resistance in the steering wheel.

The interior has partners in my firm (who all drive BMW/Mercedes/Lexus) spewing compliments. The stereo is incredible and Sirius is the best. I love the seats.

In short, the Charger is well worth the money, you get a fully functional sedan which intimidates everywhere it goes.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Welcome to the board! :)

I'm glad you're enjoying your new vehicle. That sucker is gonna sound mean when you drop those Flowmasters in there. As for the steering, I agree that it could be a bit tighter. I'm hoping the 9-Land steering upgrade that's part of the R/T Performance Group will make a difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ditto. I agree with you. I have noticed increased power everyday I go out. I also like passing slow pokes just for the feel. Just think, I traded in my 350z for the Charger, I can tell you the Z is quick,but the torque of the Charger 390 ft lbs to 290 ft lbs is awesome between 50-90 mph plus I can my smoke any stock BMW in comfort. Oh, I had the 740il,so I know comfort.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Welcome to the boards!! I agree with your comments and have been thinking about going to my local exhaust shop for some modifications which will include electric cutouts....reliving those times when a lot of friends had them on their muscle cars with the manual pull mounted under the dash!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Nice screen name, and thanks for sharing your thoughts. BTW I'm a lawyer too, and it was heckling from the partners that got me out of my Mustang and into my current car, a Lincoln LS.

What kind of law do you practice?

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We do insurance defense, with a little plaintiff's work thrown in for good measure.

Before getting into the law, I didn't realize most attorney's are pretty big car guys. So when they found out it was "finally" time for me to upgrade from my V6 Mustang convertible, everyone had an opinion. But it was always BMW 3 this and Mercedes C class that. Lexus and Infiniti were also suggested.

Well after test driving those, I just couldn't get excited about them. They are really nice cars, but so blase. Plus, client contact at this stage of my career is important, so I needed the ability to pick up at least two claims reps at a time and drive them comfortably for a couple of hours to a settlement conference with all of their files. That ruled out the '05 Mustang GT.

The Charger is distinctive, makes a good impression on our clients, and easily won over the skeptics in the office. EVERYONE smiles driving this car!

Dutch said:
Nice screen name, and thanks for sharing your thoughts. BTW I'm a lawyer too, and it was heckling from the partners that got me out of my Mustang and into my current car, a Lincoln LS.

What kind of law do you practice?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
That's great, you definately made the right choice. Ironically, my Mustang was also a V6 convertible. People seem to like my Lincoln, despite its combination BMW/Honda Accord styling. The quality issues are what have me looking.

I do plaintiff's construction defect litigation, so I think it's great you're hauling your claim reps around in comfort. That way they should be more relaxed and willing to write checks with lots of zeros at those settlement conferences.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey White Trash,
I agree with you on the exhaust tone. I had the resonators taken off and the car sounds just like it is supposed to. The performance also picked up with better throttle response. Idid have the factory tips welded back on the tube extention.Now this car sounds mean but still quiet inside the cabin.
Alan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hit me Back so i know this message was recieved by you. I have some qestions if you have already installed the flowmasters.
Alan,

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally had some time to do research on exhaust and I think I was premature on thinking I was just going to put on Flowmasters.

Didn't realize how the Charger exhaust is put together and made the mistake of assuming it was similar to my old Mustang.

I just want a better sound, and your solution seems like a good idea. I didn't realize resonators were installed. If all I have to do is have them removed and extension pipe welded on, I think I'll go that route instead.

umgawa said:
Hit me Back so i know this message was recieved by you. I have some qestions if you have already installed the flowmasters.
Alan,

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just bought mine this weekend too. '06 Dodge Charger R/T (Just like the picture) I have a Joker sized smile permanently attached on my face.

I also share the same satisfaction and disappointment. I love this car (which provides quicker excelleration than my previous car (Chevy Camaro). Hey everybody has to grow up sometime. I needed a car to fit the family, but I didn't want to give up the speed.

Passing slow pokes is effortless. I now spend more time looking at my rearview, because barley tapping the accelerator puts me into 50mph!. (If I blink and forget to let off I am at 80!) Automatic shifting is is unnoticable and smooth. I don't even see a need for using the Auto-stick considering the multi displacement, ABS, and ERS, and coupled with the fact that I'll never tow anything anyway with this car.

The Instrument cluster is sensible and uncomplicated, with the EVIC and steering wheel mounted controls really impressing me on its ease of use. Bluetooth, Full leather appointments and luxury seating that rivals my boss's Jaguar. I am constantly beliving that I am driving a much more expensive car.

As I mentioned I also have the same frustrations with the steering controls. I have noticed that accelerating from 0 provides little resistance and I need to becautious not to oversteer (or I need to lose that Lead foot). I think that a tighter suspension might help. I am also not a big fan of the exhaust sounds. I have to admit it is rather nice to ride in a cabin that has dampening, but any true driver knows that when that questions comes: "Hey, does that have a Hemi?" You want to be able to answer without the high pitched whine that currently blows through the pipes.

Let me know how the Flowmaster install goes. I am also interested in any other mods, since I am new to Dodge/Mopar performance.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
RaiderNation said:
I paid $30450, in sacramento,included the upgraded stereo, and the instrument upgrade.
That's an awesome price!

·
Registered
59 Posts
All said and done just about $32,500
Standard CD 6-speaker BA system, Dual climate controls, EVIC, Steering wheel controls, smokers group, Convieince?? Group.

Wish now tha5t I had upgraded the stereo, but oh, well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You guys should go to MagnaFlows website and listen to the sound clips of their Cat-Back sytem on the R/T. It sounds GREAT!!!!!!!! That's where I am spending my money.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't have paperwork in front of me but this price looks darn close, it was well under 31, except I have the 12 month Sirius subscription and Inferno Red.

RaiderNation said:
I paid $30450, in sacramento,included the upgraded stereo, and the instrument upgrade.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I love my charger! I bought it two weeks after it hit the lots. I had watched it develop on the net and fell in love. The internet and magazines just does not do it justice...this car is gorgeous and mean (can it be both?).

I also agree about the power...i read a mopar magazine yesterday and they were saying how chrysler placed the Hemi badge on it, but the car was not deserving....had this guy driven it yet? Oh well, everyone has their opinion. I love it, gonna keep her around for long time.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Oh, one more thing....i bought the borla 125's....it sounds incredible...very aggresive and throaty! It maybe too loud for some, but if you are looking to open up some power, add some style (those tips aren't for everyone), and sound as mean as the charger is - borla is the way to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a new member and I've had my Charger 2 weeks now. I traded a 2004 Corvette 6speed convertible for it believe it or not. I've always been a big fan of hi po sedans and I bought a 94 Impala SS when they first came out. Seven Corvettes is enough. Great cars that never see the light of day. :embarrese

The car does take a bit of getting used to especially the steering. I have a 95 Caprice 9C1 LT1 (big hi po sedans again) :wink: that has more feedback.

No real complaints though. The Impala was a bargain 11 years ago at $25,000 and the Charger isn't really that much more considering.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts