Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told the new chargers are not considered muscle cars. They are labeled as sedans and not coupes. What does everyone else think. A real muscle car with four doors?

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
I think the hemi chargers are muscle cars. No offense meant towards v6ers but they aren't muscle cars. they are a four door sedan. A DAMN GOOD LOOKING ONE THOUGH!!! :grin: Some may argue that the 3.5 makes more horsepower/torque than the old v8's but I just can't look at a v6 as a muscle car. I'm sorry, call me ignorant if you must but that is just my opinion. I still LOVE all LXers no matter what engine they have in them. So my answer is Hemi yes, v6 no. flame suit on

edit: and of course they are not labeled as coupes, they have 4 doors....

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I agree with u. I have a v-6 and no way would I consider it a muscle car but u are right no matter what engine u have they still look awesome IMO. I like to make it look good and sound good and thats about it. In no way would I say I have something I dont.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Its a sedan on roids....lol

Its definitly not your ol man sedan.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I dont think they are. They look more like a sedan, not a slick sports car, but they sure as hell are goodlooking. The SRT maybe passes as a "muscle car", The Daytonas seem to sometimes b/c of their bright colors and flat black decals, But most people that dont live and breathe cars look at the charger as any other 4dr sedan. Take a look around at who you see driving alot of chargers, you will see all types of people, people that certainly dont fit the average "Muscle car" enthusiast stereotype

Now, my above statement is in reference to a stock charger, Chargers modded with exhaust, ram air hood, etc look SUPER MEAN and deff fit a "muscle car" label to me

I personally dont care what they are considered. I love this car

·
Registered
657 Posts
Overall, yeah I guess I consider Chargers muscle cars. When one is modded it makes it that much easier to say "Now look at that muscle car".

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
The new Hemi Chargers may not meet the old school definition of a Muscle Car, but times change and cars evolve. Pick any vehicle that has been around for quite a numer of years and just look at the different changes said model has gone through. IMO, the new Hemi Chargers are Modern Muscle.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Anybody who thinks adding two doors makes a car have less muscle needs to re-evaluate there priorities.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
As long as my insurance remains low in comparison, I don't care what They consider.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Some may argue that the 3.5 makes more horsepower/torque than the old v8's but I just can't look at a v6 as a muscle car.
Tough call...

What would you consider a 1986-1987 Buick Grand National (or Regal T-type)?

I think it's psychological... the fact that the V6 I mentioned was the TOP performance option for that model (and a very valid one) makes us look beyond the number of cylinders. In contrast, the 140 hp Oldsmobile-built 307 V8 that was also offered in the Regal does NOT evoke the image of a musclecar. :)

Likewise, an old 318 2Bbl Charger does not come to mind when someone says Dodge musclecar, even if it was a V8. So if the 318 doesn't do it, the 383 might qualify in the minds of some people. I'm sure, though, that there are those who were spoiled by the really big inch V8s that might not be all that impressed by the 383, and maybe their idea of "musclecar" starts at the 440 and nothing less. (heck, someone here already tried to put the dividing line for the current Charger as being between the R/T and the SRT8!)

Anyone want to shift the discussion to where those 426 Hemi 4 door Coronets fit in with the description? :lol:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I was told the new chargers are not considered muscle cars. They are labeled as sedans and not coupes. What does everyone else think. A real muscle car with four doors?
Hmmm, I have to say that whoever "told" you (or anyone else) that, has never seen or better "heard" a Charger (V8) with its headers uncapped and burning up the pavement. If they had, Muscle Car would be the only words comin' outta their mouths :grin:

"idiots should remain silient, always, lest they open their mouths and remove all doubt...."

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
4 door Muscle...what's wrong with that? Eliminates me having to remove my ass when someone wants to jump in the back seat! All hail 4 doors!

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
I know mine is. Check my sig if you doubt my veracity.
Did a stock 440 Challenger do less than 13 seconds in the 1/4 mile? Line up the unmodded/untuned 440 at the track and let's see. I'll give you a 2 door head start!

·
Registered
4,594 Posts

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Anyone wanna tell me this sounds like anything other than a muscle car? This guy (not me) just got Corsas...
http://s82.photobucket.com/player.s...20Corsa%20Exhaust/MOV00575.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1
Very nice, thanks for posting that.

Interestingly, that exhaust has a definite "brylcreem" sound texture to it, with the exception of the slight rasp overtone that is obvious at some RPMs, mostly on deceleration. No doubt this system attempts to muffle only a very narrow band of sound (to eliminate the prominence of rasp in the overall tone).

·
Registered
388 Posts
The 66 Chargers had 4 bucket seats and it helped define the muscle car. I would say that the Chargers with HEMIs are for sure muscle cars. And the 3.5 V6's too. They just don't have the prestiege like the HEMI's do.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Everyone who has seen my car in person calls it a hot rod, including my 80 year old mother in law, bless her soul. Muscle car is a word that seems to have fallen out of fashion, but hot rod.... oh yeaaaaaaaaaaaah

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
To me a muscle car is really a '60s and '70s term. Therefore the new Chargers are really in a different class.

The term muscle car will always mean to me:

1)Crappy braking, handling and comfort

2)Lots of wheel smoke and loud exhaust

3)A ridiculously large motor with crappy fuel economy

4)Outrageous styling, spoilers, stripes, bulging hoods, vents, etc.

5)Rear wheel drive

6)Generally 2 doors

7)Relatively affordable price

I think the V8s have most of that but in general our cars are a little too refined (as stock) to be considered a muscle car in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts