Charger Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the site and new to the dodge family. I just picked up my 07 charher rt awd am already thanking mods. Can anyone offer some advise on good performance mods I can do without voiding my warrenty?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
welcome from California! Search search search. lots of info here on CAI, exhaust and the preditor..... have fun checking it all out!

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
Welcome from Texas!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Buy a tuner, I would recommend the Diablo I personally don't have one yet but I have read alot of good things about it. You can tune your car with the preloaded program and before you go back to service your car you can reset it back to stock. I would recommend talking to your service agent, I know that when I talked to mine he said as long as I don't do any internal work like cams, or heads I would be fine especially if I stick to Mopar products.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i honestly asked today when i went to go get my first oil change, he told me as long as it was mopar branded it was fine. i have heard alot of different things though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nothing "VOIDS" your warranty...

See: Magnuson Moss Warranty Act

Its more of a question on what they can pin on causing a problem.

For example. Cold Air Intake will void a warranty on what ever part is directly affected by it. If your throttle body goes bad etc, if the dealer wants to pin the cause on your CAI they can try, but technically they have to prove it before voiding the warranty on it but its possible... If you have a CAI and your windows arent going up and down, thats another issue totally un-related.

etc........

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I was told buy someone at the service department that only engine mods void the warranty. Even though I have a cam, say my sunroof went bad, they damn well better fix it. It would be a different story if I cracked a head and they wouldn't fix it because I have an aftermarket cam.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advise. I plan on doing a lot to my car and i will keep pictures updated. I am pretty pleased with preformance right know going from a little 4 cylinder to the 5.7 liter v8. So ill probably start on some exterior mods before i start on performance, but that should give me some time to research them.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I was told buy someone at the service department that only engine mods void the warranty. Even though I have a cam, say my sunroof went bad, they damn well better fix it. It would be a different story if I cracked a head and they wouldn't fix it because I have an aftermarket cam.

The modification will only void the part that is directly failed due to the modification...

·
Registered
424 Posts
And by the way... Install an aftermarket head unit and an electrical failure occurs linked to something... like window motor goes up and down randomly etc, if they want to, they can say that you modified your electrical system and not cover that part...

·
Registered
53 Posts
It also depends on the dealer. Talk to a few of them and find one thats cool with mods. Most of us here have probably read the Magnuson law on the forum. Me personally, I dont have the time or patience to get into a pissing match with a service department, I'd rather find one I can trust.

One dealer I talked to was cool with mods. He did tell me to be careful with aftermartket warranties though. These are extended warranties sold by the dealer but not related to Chrysler. I dont know if the Magnuson law applies to them or not but he said they usually turn down all claims on vehicles that have been modified with performance parts.

If you cant dodge it.....CHARGE it!!!!! :rockon:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Deff recomend a tuner like someone posted and possible an exhaust such as zoomers. I personaly started small and got bitten by the bug (hopefully putting in headers next week) Start small like an intake and than see what you feel and what kind of cash you have.

·
Registered
232 Posts
And by the way... Install an aftermarket head unit and an electrical failure occurs linked to something... like window motor goes up and down randomly etc, if they want to, they can say that you modified your electrical system and not cover that part...
Only if you cut into the harness. That's why they invented install kits and pigtails:rockon:

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
I know a lot of guys that say they want to keep their factory warranty intact so they only added a Superchips for now because they can take it off when they go in for service. I guess if that helps you sleep better at night then more power to ya.

Mopar accessories are covered by warranty but ALL Mopar performance parts beginning with the letter "P" are sold "as is" with no warranty whatsoever. Why? Some parts are intended for "off-road use only" and could void the vehicle's factory warranty. This means that if DCX can prove a performance part caused the problem then your warranty claim goes bye-bye. For all the folks out there doing the "safe" mods, this does include your Mopar CAI, Mopar Cat-back Exhuast, Mopar LT Headers, Mopar Coil Over Suspension Kit and Lowering Springs just to name a few. There is actually a disclaimer on the Mopar website that says those 4 parts are "not legal for sale on pollution-controlled vehicles registered for highway use".

IMO enjoy the car and mod it the way that you see fit or leave it alone and just drive it as it came from the factory.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Buy a tuner, I would recommend the Diablo I personally don't have one yet but I have read alot of good things about it. You can tune your car with the preloaded program and before you go back to service your car you can reset it back to stock. I would recommend talking to your service agent, I know that when I talked to mine he said as long as I don't do any internal work like cams, or heads I would be fine especially if I stick to Mopar products.

X2

·
Registered
131 Posts
my dealer told me that "bolt on" mods will not void warranty but warned me against messing with things that plug into the PCM. And to be clear...whatever the bolt on mod is, it isn't covered by warranty (duh).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.