Charger Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to get a new cam for my 2012 Charger R/T. I was curious if anyone in here had any experience with them and could shed some light on the subject. I am new to this so any information will help. I was wondering what the best cam would be for my car and on average how long it would take to install (trying to figure out what the installation fee's would be). If anyone knows a link to the best cam for my model car and could provide it I would be very grateful. I've tried looking online but I am very hesitant about buying anything cause like I previously mentioned I am new to this and don't want to buy something and not need it or not have something I need.

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
I am wanting to get a new cam for my 2012 Charger R/T. I was curious if anyone in here had any experience with them and could shed some light on the subject. I am new to this so any information will help. I was wondering what the best cam would be for my car and on average how long it would take to install (trying to figure out what the installation fee's would be). If anyone knows a link to the best cam for my model car and could provide it I would be very grateful. I've tried looking online but I am very hesitant about buying anything cause like I previously mentioned I am new to this and don't want to buy something and not need it or not have something I need.
Look up tacamo's posts on his cam dude, pretty detailed and should give you a good idea on how to go about it.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
You have a lot of options but it depends on your goal for performance, future mods and intended use. If you plan ahead you can save yourself some serious $$. As for Cams, Inertia Motorsports, Modern Muscle, High Horse Performance and ShopHemi are some of the shops that offer VVT Cams. I chose the custom grind from Modern Muscle because I did not want to lose any HP/Torq down low, I was looking to pick up a few below 3500 and at the same time get good gains up top.

Intended use plays a big part. I do not track my Daytona so spirited driving around the city was what I was after. If you go with an aggressive VVT cam like the Comp Cam 270 or 274 or some of the aggressive Inertia cams you will have to install a performance torque converter to make up for the lost power down low. They are great for the track and make the most HP but city driving will suffer. If you have any plans to go FI in the future Cam selection before the install is important.

To get maximum gains on any VVT Cam IMO you should at the least consider installing Longtubes with the Cam install. I would call around to the different shops I mentioned and ask about their cams and discuss your goals for the Hemi.

Here is a link to my build and the mistakes I made along the way.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235713&highlight=

1 - 3 of 3 Posts