Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i dont know jack about engine heads and cams. Was thinking about getting a new Cam from HHP racing, says on their site that a stage 1 cam doesnt require any tuning or other stuff along with it. However, someone once talked like you should be getting new engine heads along with a new cam for whatever reason ( like i said i know nothing about the relation between the heads and the cam). So yeah, basically im wondering if i can just buy a cam without having to buy new heads or other stuff just so i can get some more horses.

ALSO, how much added power can you throw into a charger (5.7) before you have to start changing the differential and stuff to compensate for the new HP????

·
Registered
676 Posts
The thing with doing just the cam is that you won't be getting the maximum benefit from the cam. You will get an increase in power, just not the most it has to offer. That and if you are going to dive into the engine, you need to be serious with yourself whether a cam will be good enough or if you are going to want a set of heads later on. If you want both, then you should just save up the cash and do them at the same time. You will save a lot of cash doing them at the same time, because most places take the heads off to do the cam anyways. If you are going to do the install yourself or have a buddy do it, then that last point is kinda moot.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
The thing with doing just the cam is that you won't be getting the maximum benefit from the cam. You will get an increase in power, just not the most it has to offer. That and if you are going to dive into the engine, you need to be serious with yourself whether a cam will be good enough or if you are going to want a set of heads later on. If you want both, then you should just save up the cash and do them at the same time. You will save a lot of cash doing them at the same time, because most places take the heads off to do the cam anyways. If you are going to do the install yourself or have a buddy do it, then that last point is kinda moot.
x2
f you do a cam, with a full exhaust set up, and a good Diablo CMR tune, you could get 350+ rwhp from a 5.7. There are couple guys running a sidewinder, long tubes, and cat back who with a good dyno tune have very close to 360 rwhp. If you are not doing the labo, consider the heads and headers. Like was said above, most places will remove the heads to do the cam, so there isnt any real extra labor to replace heads at the same time, and it is VERY easy to do headers with the heads off.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Buy a sidewinder cam from 402motoring.com. Many of us forum members run on stock heads with great results. I dyno'ed 360 rwhp and 374 tq with cam, full exhaust, intake and tune. That is about 80 rwhp over stock.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Buy a sidewinder cam from 402motoring.com. Many of us forum members run this cam with great results on stock heads. I dyno'ed 360 rwhp and 374 tq with cam, full exhaust, intake and tune. That is about 80 rwhp over stock.
Thats why I plan to copycat you Met! lol. Cept I am going Tomahawk from Fri's and AEM on the headers. If you are on the west coast, dont mind driving, and want a high quality cam install for a low price, we are planning on cam-a-palooza. Lemme know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts