Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like everyone else I have been debating on which cold air intake to buy. I was considering the afe stg II or the Air raid setup until I saw the new cai from BBK. They featured this new cai on this past weekend's episode of Horsepower TV. I don't recall the exact added hp numbers they claimed but it was like most... 10+.

The cai from BBK is brand new for the Charger. I spoke with a guy at BBK and he told me the part number is 1738. It is not on the BBK website yet, but there are some other examples shown.
http://www.bbkperformance.com/products/induction.shtml

I chose to be a guinea pig for this set up because I think the intake looks really sharp. Let's face reality... all of the units sold by reputable places add sound and a few ponies. I doubt there is a difference in the horsepower I could feel from one after market unit to another. This then lead me more in the direction of how the thing looks. Of course this is pretty subjective from one person to the next. I personally do get that excited over the black plastic units or anything to gimmicky.

My cost for the BBK unit was $299 including shipping. I will post picks and let everyone know what I think when I get it. I hope to have it Friday. :grin:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nice looking units.:cool:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I saw that show too and went looking for the cai on their web site. Nice find. That's the one I want.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I just talked with them. I should have some pictures of the actual unit in a few minutes. Going to try and download to my photobucket and post a link when I get them.

·
Registered
731 Posts
ya. I am not sure I like that big black shield around the filter and across the overflow tank. Wonder if it can be removed?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
IMHO, those shields are worthless. If anything, they seem like they would choke off airflow getting to that filter. Once you slam the hood down on top of that box, it becomes like a coffin inside. I would venture that the difference in air temperature inside that box vs. outside the box is virtually the same. I doubt very much that it is chilly cold on the filter side of the box. Those shields are designed to look impressive and make you think you are getting
"cold" air to your filter. Right.......

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMHO, those shields are worthless. If anything, they seem like they would choke off airflow getting to that filter. Once you slam the hood down on top of that box, it becomes like a coffin inside. I would venture that the difference in air temperature inside that box vs. outside the box is virtually the same. I doubt very much that it is chilly cold on the filter side of the box. Those shields are designed to look impressive and make you think you are getting
"cold" air to your filter. Right.......
I'm not so sure on the shields being worthless. As you mentioned, the hood closes off the top of the box. However, I thought the bottom of the box is being fed with air that comes from the bottom of the car. (from what I read as I have not taken mine out yet). If this is true the box would not be choked for air at all.

The question would then be more around temperature as opposed to lack of flow. Is the air in the box cooler than the air would be if you removed the shields? I would agree there might not be a huge difference, but I would bet the air in the box is cooler if you leave the shields in place. You are pulling in air from under the car that might be from 40F to 120F vs. under hood engine temps something higher.

The only real way to find out is to take some readings. Through my work, I have access to some long thermocouples and a hand held measurement device that could answer this question with real data. It might be more trouble than it's worth but I am very curious. Of course I will info if I get some readings. :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Big Al. When you install yours, please do see if you can remove that black shield and run without it. I like the unit and the price is very good. It sure beats the look of the stock unit too!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Been there and done that, Big Al. I created a thread last fall. Ran a temp lead from the airfilter to inside the car, and drove around for awhile to see how things change. When moving, the temp drops really fast to the ambient temperature (outside). When stationary, it climbs fast, in my case up to 155 degrees. So does the box thing help? Doubt it. It all depended on if the car is moving, or not. The best idea would be to drive around with no hood.
Give that a try and report back.:tongue:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BBK Performance cai update:

I received the new cai and wanted to write the following review.

First my criteria for choosing the BBK over afe stage II, Air Hammer, Mopar or Air Raid? Besides wanting the best of all worlds... my criteria was ranked with a preference in this order. Looks, performance and cost. The look of the cai was the most important only because the performance gained by any of these units is not a large amount. Also the difference in cost for any of these units was not dramatic enough for this to be a big factor.

I purchased the BBK unit (p/n 1738) from Brothers Performance Warehouse http://brothersperformance.com/ (800-486-2681) for $299 (free shipping). This company was great to deal with. The unit was shipped out the next day. The unit arrived a few days later and was packaged very well.

In terms of the quality of the BBK cai, I cannot say enough good things. The fit, finish and quality of components is what you expect, TOP notch. The tube is heavy duty with a flawless chrome finish. There are no welds or plastic parts. Everything says QUALITY!

The installation took about 20 minutes and was straightforward. If I had to complain about something it would be in the instruction sheet. The instructions need step by step pictures, not just words. The only two pictures on the sheet were generic and not of a Charger set up. The only other thing you need to know is that you will have to replace the factory PCV hose as it is not long enough to reach inside the air filter. Cost is less than $2 for generic PCV hose at Autozone (picture shows the new hose). Overall I was very happy with the installation. Unlike other cai units this one did not require any moving of items, de-burring or other tweaks to the unit.

In terms of horsepower felt by the seat of your pants... hard to tell a big difference. I do not have any dyno runs either. As far as changing the sound when you nail it... there is some difference but not greatly louder. Just right in my opinion.

Bottom line... if your criteria for ranking a cai is the same as mine this is the right was to go.

Lastly I have two tips for installation:
If you have some silicone spray, it makes the metal items slide together with the rubber parts much easier.
Use a tin snips to notch out the top rubber molding where the molding bends around the 90 degree corners.

:grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kinda looks like a Dub CAI.Not my cup o tea..Good luck with it just the same..
Of course when it comes to looks everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just curious which cai you have or think looks best?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Of course when it comes to looks everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just curious which cai you have or think looks best?
I think the Injen CAI is the best looking out of them all. I went with the AFE because it was a GB and a good deal. I also liked the fact it is plastic and doesn't heatsoak as much as the metal intakes but I like that BBK.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thanks for sharing your input and pictures, Big Al. Looks good and right at home sitting inside a stock engine compartment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts