Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a 2011 rt max awd and I will need to get into a new one soon. Ill have to put tires brakes and rotors before winter, plus the new body style is coming out AND I'm about to roll over 50k miles. my questions is this: will the new body style kill my trade in value for my car? would it be counter intuitive to get into a 2014 with the rebates they have right now and the fact its the same body style? I'm leaning towards the 14 since the 15 wont offer hemi AWD. I'm just thinking out loud and need an opinion. what I don't want to happen is trade for the 14 then the new body style comes out and it kill the resell of my new 14. any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Only 50K Miles and you're thinking of trading in already? Hell man, that thing ain't even broke in yet.

No, I doubt there will be a huge drop in Trade-In Value with the advent of the new body style...I don't recall there being one between 2010 and 2011.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Cars aren't investments. But with that said, I think these cars hold their value pretty well. Considering the 06-10 models, they still bring good money retail. Do some searches and any that are in good condition still sell for top dollar (At least in my area). I wouldn't be in a rush if your car is doing well. When cars get over the 50,000 mile milestone, thats when the price drops some, but they flat line from there till 100,000 miles. Keeping your car in good condition means everything when trading.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Cars aren't investments. But with that said, I think these cars hold their value pretty well. Considering the 06-10 models, they still bring good money retail. Do some searches and any that are in good condition still sell for top dollar (At least in my area). I wouldn't be in a rush if your car is doing well. When cars get over the 50,000 mile milestone, thats when the price drops some, but they flat line from there till 100,000 miles. Keeping your car in good condition means everything when trading.
I checked my 06 on KBB about two months ago, and even with 141,000 miles showing on an 8 year old car, Trade In was still over $7,000...can't really complain about that.

But you're 100% right...cars are lousy investments.

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
IMO, most of the time where there is a new body style that comes out, it adds to the depreciation of the vehicle.

Of course, it may not happen that way all of the time....

when the new Chargers come out in 2015, and if there are people that prefer the older body style (2011-2014) over the 2015, then it could cause the value of that body style to go up!

·
Registered
893 Posts
i got $8K [trade in] for my '06 RT with 115K on the odo & a front end accident [previous owner] on the carfax. mainly because it was a clean well kept car

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I was at the dealer over the weekend having service done I test-drove a 2014 R/T 100th Anniversary edition. It turned around corners so much easier than mine. I have a 2011 R/T Plus with AWD with 48,000 miles on it. Upon returning and working the numbers, they offered me $18,000 for mine. Rather shocked. Hoped for a little more. They said it was partly because I added the Mopar Cold Air Intake, the stock/oem rear backup camera, and the black glossy grill from the Mopar '11... and I have "high" miles. I still have all the original parts in storage. Plus the car was dirty (exterior) that day. =X

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sell dodge. It sounds like that is about 2k light without seeing it. Plus there is 4k rebates on rwd 14s right now. Pm me if you're around wv I can help you into a 2014 if you need it.

I can't see myself being able to get around these mountains in the winter without AWD. Otherwise if be all over a 100th.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
When I was at the dealer over the weekend having service done I test-drove a 2014 R/T 100th Anniversary edition. It turned around corners so much easier than mine. I have a 2011 R/T Plus with AWD with 48,000 miles on it. Upon returning and working the numbers, they offered me $18,000 for mine. Rather shocked. Hoped for a little more. They said it was partly because I added the Mopar Cold Air Intake, the stock/oem rear backup camera, and the black glossy grill from the Mopar '11... and I have "high" miles. I still have all the original parts in storage. Plus the car was dirty (exterior) that day. =X
Don't sell your current car to the dealer as a trade-in...ever.

They will only give you about 50-70% of what you can get in a private sale. Even when they give you more, they hide it in the numbers by charging more on the other end.

The only time I give them the vehicle as a trade-in is when it's worth less than $5-7k in a private sale and I don't want to be bothered trying to get the last few bucks out of it.

Even then, I make the deal first and then negotiate on the trade.

I bought my wife's '05 Caravan without trade-in and got $8k off sticker. I bought my '05 Magnum during the employee-pricing-to-the-public incentive ($7k off sticker) and traded my '96 Bronco worth $6k retail for a trade value of $4500 after the sale price was negotiated.

I traded my '05 Magnum for the '06 Charger SRT for full residual payoff on the Magnum and got the SRT for sticker plus 7/100 extended Warranty and 6 years of oil changes (for $24.95 each) thrown in. Given that the SRT oil changes cost $80+ each and the extended warranty was worth $2200, it was a good deal. (total value=$2800 off cost)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts

They will only give you about 50-70% of what you can get in a private sale. Even when they give you more, they hide it in the numbers by charging more on the other end.

The only time I give them the vehicle as a trade-in is when it's worth less than $5-7k in a private sale and I don't want to be bothered trying to get the last few bucks out of it.

Even then, I make the deal first and then negotiate on the trade.

I bought my wife's '05 Caravan without trade-in and got $8k off sticker. I bought my '05 Magnum during the employee-pricing-to-the-public incentive ($7k off sticker) and traded my '96 Bronco worth $6k retail for a trade value of $4500 after the sale price was negotiated.

I traded my '05 Magnum for the '06 Charger SRT for full residual payoff on the Magnum and got the SRT for sticker plus 7/100 extended Warranty and 6 years of oil changes (for $24.95 each) thrown in. Given that the SRT oil changes cost $80+ each and the extended warranty was worth $2200, it was a good deal. (total value=$2800 off cost)
When I traded in my '01 Sebring Convertible on my '06 Daytona (first time I've ever "traded in" a vehicle that was still in decent running condition lol), KBB said the Trade-In Value of it was $4500 (and that in Excellent Condition) the Dealer gave me $5500 Trade-In Value on it. He said they were planning on $7,000, but the passenger door had a pretty big dent in it that would require body-shop work (it did...I had gotten a hefty door-bang in a parking lot two months prior), the top had a patch in it (top was slashed two summers prior), and the nose of it was covered in various chips, nicks, dings, and other assorted pock marks and had to be repainted. I thought it was a pretty fair deal.

I have horrible luck selling anything (which is why the houses that my wife and I owned before we met are now collective known as "those damn rental houses we're stuck with").

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
That seems to be an excessive penalty on the trade-in allowance for a few parts that can easily put back to stock. Well I am glad I kept the stock intake so I can put it back on whenever I trade. I was wondering if changing the grille would affect resale, and now I know. But again I would keep the stock grille just in case.

I made an appointment for my 30,000 mile service, and I promptly got an e-mail telling me that based on the current equity position in my present vehicle, they believe I can trade my 2012 DODGE CHARGER for a newer model vehicle with no money down and keep my current payment the same dollar amount. My new payment may be even lower than it is now. I suppose it's true I did something similar when I traded my G8.

GTO_04

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
Not that it is much, but you do save on taxes when you trade in a vehicle!

You only pay taxes on the trade difference, as opposed to the whole sale amount!

SO, for example:

price of new car = $30,000

your trade = $15,000 (paid off of course)

You will only pay taxes on the $15,000 difference instead of the $30,000 amount!

tax on $30,000 = $1,875 (6.25%)
tax on $15,000 = $937.50 (6.25%)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some states don't have trade credit.

Not that it is much, but you do save on taxes when you trade in a vehicle!

You only pay taxes on the trade difference, as opposed to the whole sale amount!

SO, for example:

price of new car = $30,000

your trade = $15,000 (paid off of course)

You will only pay taxes on the $15,000 difference instead of the $30,000 amount!

tax on $30,000 = $1,875 (6.25%)
tax on $15,000 = $937.50 (6.25%)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts