Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone has some suggestions before I have it towed to a dealership.

I have a 2008 Charger R/T, and a couple nights ago, the keyfob stopped working. I pulled the actual key out of the back of the keyfob and that wouldn't open the door either. I foolishly/hopefully thought maybe the battery in the keyfob needed replacing, so I did that, and still nothing. The physical key will open the trunk, but not the door. I thought maybe I could push the rear seats down from inside the trunk so I could get inside the car to see if it would start, but I couldn't get the seats down that way.

At this point, I have no way of getting inside the car. I tried hooking jumper cables up to the battery in the trunk to see if maybe somehow the battery had died, but that did nothing. I just read in a different thread for a slightly similar problem to try unhooking the battery cables and touching them together, so I'm considering that, but wondered if anyone else has had the same problem or has any decent ideas as to what the cause (and the fix!) might be.

Thank you in advance for any help with this. I just bought this car about four months ago, and due to my love for the car I suspect I'll be spending some time here in the forums, but hopefully not to try and solve problems I'm having.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2008 SE, and had the same problem. Tried replacing the battery and everything. Went to the dealer, and they said something about the transmitter in it is completely messed up, and that the key itself is just too banged up. So all in all, I'm pretty sure you have to replace the Keyfob itself. Its 110 for the key, and 60 to program.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So here's what ended up happening:

I had a tow service come out, and the first thing they had to do was slim-jim open the passenger door. Once inside the car, it started right up so I didn't need to get towed. I drove it to the dealership, and there the service guy pulled open the key fob, cleaned it up a little, made sure the battery was making good contact, then instructed me to pull the car inside the bay. I walked to the car, tried the keyfob, and it worked. Weird, since on my visit there the day before he essentially had done the same thing but with no result. The physical key wasn't opening the door because there was a rod that was disconnected or something. They fixed that, so now if the keyfob fails again I at least have a way of getting inside the car. It's been a few days and so far the keyfob is working great.

When the keyfob initially failed I had tried opening the back and holding the battery in place with my thumb while pressing the unlock button, so I'm not sure what the service guy did that made a difference, and unfortunately he's not sure either. It all works now though so I'm not gonna sweat it. A couple hundred bucks altogether to get it taken care of, which is a lot better than having to repair the entire electrical system.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a 2008 SE, and had the same problem. Tried replacing the battery and everything. Went to the dealer, and they said something about the transmitter in it is completely messed up, and that the key itself is just too banged up. So all in all, I'm pretty sure you have to replace the Keyfob itself. Its 110 for the key, and 60 to program.
If you spend that much consider the overall costs of upgrading to a factory remote start. When I bought my Charger it only came with one key. The dealership gave me a $180 credit for a factory remote start kit rather than order another key and program it for me. The factory remote start kit comes with two brand-new keys.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I found out the hard way that it IS POSSIBLE to lock yourself out of a supposedly unlockable out of car by using the remote start to close to the car.

It will honk once and then lock the doors and you can't get through the trunk either.
So if you do it and then throw your keys in the console or purse on the seat for you girls you will have to get a lockout service come get you.
For some reason when you do this you have to start it manually to reset the locks.
Probably an anti-theft or carjacking after thought but definately a pain in the ass. When i called in my Dodge roadside assitance (it's a joke never get it if you can avoid it but i think it's part of the warranty) they were completely suprised that this could happen.

·
Registered
228 Posts
very odd that you had two related but very unrelated problems happen at once.

as to the second point made about locking yourself out, i always make it a habit to have a few metal keys made to get myself in the car in case of a lock out...keep it in your wallet, your garage, under your car in a magnetic lock box, whatever. its saved me before from calling some monkey to pry my door open in the past.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It'll honk once after which lock the doors and also you can't get from the trunk either.
So if one does it and next throw your keys inside console or purse about the seat for you girls you'll need to get a lockout service come ensure you get.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Sounds like you had some radio interference at your house that was causing the signal to be screwed up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts