Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking to buy a 2016 SXT model, but it has no rear camera and I really want one.
Reading through this forum I am seeing some cars are pre-wired and it would be relatively easy to install a camera.

So how do I know whether this specific car is pre-wired? Ask dealership?
What if they lie, I don't know anything about this stuff...
Is there a manual or something that would say it?

Thanks,
Sue

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes the SXT level is pre-wired,The SE trim is not.
If you drop the decklid panel you will see the connector, but i doubt the dealership would do that for you.
I bought the parts needed and added the camera,
The dealership has to activate it for you or you will need to buy a Tazer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Are you saying that all Chargers from the SXT trims are pre-wired?
Also, is there a kit containing the camera + all the parts needed, would you mind giving me a link where to buy it from?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
77 Posts
My understanding is the SXT from the '15 Charger revision and up is pre-wired,but don't quote me. I don't know for sure if the '14 and older SXT is or not.
There is no kit, you need 3 parts.
68224447AA bracket
68265874AB jumper wire
6MB13*AA camera ( * is your paint code)
The bezel on the camera is painted so the paint code will change the part #.
Mine is Billet Silver which is paint code PSC/JSC so i ordered 6MB13JSCAA.
My dealer charges 1/2hr labor to activate ($60).
Each dealer is different, some may charge more, some may do it for free.
I also have a Tazer installed-- that will activate it without going to the dealer.
You do have to cut a hole in the decklid to install it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To activate it - does it have to be a Chrysler - Dodge dealership?
I mean do the others have the right and capability of doing it - the one where I found the car is just a huge dealership selling various makes and models.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would think as long as the dealership has a Chrysler WiTech tool they could activate it.
The 3 parts are about $225 (online price), i did it myself in a couple hours taking my time, so don't know what labor would be.
The Tazer is $250 but i didn't buy it to activate the camera but for all the other functions it has.
It's pretty easy to program if you go that route.
The SXT has pretty much all the bells & whistles except a hemi but still has good power for a V6.
Check the valley under the oil filter for pooling oil, the oil filter adapters can crack from overtightening, a known issue with the pentastar engine.Mine was replaced under warranty. That's the only issue i've had with mine in 3yrs.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Mercy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much! Perhaps the main problem will be the precise drilling of the hole ...
Do you think the camera would still show those grid lines like the ones in the originally installed cameras?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi again, so after all those great suggestions, how to actually find out if this specific vehicle is prewired?

Is if ok to ask the dealer to try show me? Is it normal to ask them to drop the lid panel?

·
Registered
77 Posts
According to my research, if the car has the 8.4 screen it is pre-wired. I have no way to verify this,but it only makes sense.To drop the lid panel there are 2 screws for the handle and 3 push-pins, Maybe the dealer would do it.
I actually watched Roberts video before i installed mine.You have to be extra careful when you dremel the hole.
The grid lines is a good question. I had the dealer activate mine because now my car shows it has a camera as a dealer installed option in Chryslers computer system, and basically it works like as if it came from the factory that way. So i have the grid line option in my settings screen.Plus if there had been a problem with the camera it would have been covered under warranty.If you use a Tazer as Robert did it may not give you grid lines.
Also note-- if it doesnt have NAV it can be added. It cost me about $600 so it;s not cheap though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great info about NAV however I'm wondering why people would use the built in navigation rather than just using their phones with live updates on the road conditions, accidents, etc.
Does the NAV you installed show all those things?
I mean it's not Android Auto obviously. .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well i have a flip-phone thats why lol
No it doesn't show live updates.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts