Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's everyone's Saturday going?

Been awhile since my last post. Still enjoying and refueling the ever thirsty 2018 Scat Pack.

Ran into this little nit of an issue - water spots on rubber trim between doors and windows. Water spots have baked into the rubber being in the hot sun in all.

I've been using Meguiar's 'Ultimate Black' trim restorer, but hasn't had any effect.

Any product recommendations for cleaning rubber trim?

If I get Armor-All product answers, gonna have to hit the buzzer.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I use Opti-Bond Tire Gel..you can use it on the dash, doors, window rubber, and even the tires !

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use Opti-Bond Tire Gel..you can use it on the dash, doors, window rubber, and even the tires !

Interesting! Never heard of Optimum.

Do you think it will get rid of those water spots baked into rubber?

Wondering if I need a deep cleaner + a polish.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
It keeps mine looking nice, and it gets rid of that rusty-orangey tire gunk that seems to ooze out of the rubber. The best part is it doesn't attract a lot of dust (very important here in NM with the "enchantment" blowing around all the time)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I've never found anything that works as well as Gummi Pflege Stift. It's pricey but amazing.

·
Registered
383 Posts
What you are using and what many have recommended are not cleaners. They were not made to clean rubber, only protect it. I'd recommend first trying to clean it with a good car soap. If that does not work, I'd try an All purpose cleaner. You want to agitate the rubber with something like an old toothbrush. Keep the rubber wet as this will help break down the water spots.

The problem is that water was allowed to sit on the rubber. Minerals and/or stuff in the water has now etches into the rubber.

My recommendation if you don't want this to happen again... properly wash the car (by hand and completely dry) and use a protectant. I prefer something like 303 Aerospace Protectant. If you want lasting protection I'd recommend CQuartz Dlux. It is a ceramic coating for rubber. It will last about a year and it will make the rubber shiny. I think this looks good on the Chargers. Roll down the window and apply it to the rubber. I like to wait at 5-7 minutes and then lightly buff it with a microfiber towel.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What you are using and what many have recommended are not cleaners. They were not made to clean rubber, only protect it. I'd recommend first trying to clean it with a good car soap. If that does not work, I'd try an All purpose cleaner. You want to agitate the rubber with something like an old toothbrush. Keep the rubber wet as this will help break down the water spots.

The problem is that water was allowed to sit on the rubber. Minerals and/or stuff in the water has now etches into the rubber.

My recommendation if you don't want this to happen again... properly wash the car (by hand and completely dry) and use a protectant. I prefer something like 303 Aerospace Protectant. If you want lasting protection I'd recommend CQuartz Dlux. It is a ceramic coating for rubber. It will last about a year and it will make the rubber shiny. I think this looks good on the Chargers. Roll down the window and apply it to the rubber. I like to wait at 5-7 minutes and then lightly buff it with a microfiber towel.
Thanks for pointing out the cleaner aspect. The head scratcher is that I'm always vigilant about hand washing my own Charger and removing all water spots. It started happening ever since I used that Meguiar's product. I'm guessing that product is intended more for plastic than rubber.

I'll try the toothbrush trick first, or mild abrasive to get rid of the spots.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts