Charger Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as of right now, the only audio upgrade I've done is put in my aftermarket pioneer deck with ipod interface. I'm about ready to start upgrading my speakers as well. I've been doing quite a bit of research and I think I've narrowed down my selection.

I'd like to do a JL setup, using a single 13w6 in a sealed box, powered by a JL 500/1v2... I think this will really give me the tight accurate bass I'm looking for, while still giving me some major thump.

I already have a set of 5-way pioneer 6x9 coaxials that I'm planning on sticking in the rear deck... I may upgrade those to some better quality 2 or 3 way coaxials.

Up front, I'm not so sure. I've been really interested in doing a 3-way component setup. I've had my eye on the JL XR653s. This set has 6.5" woofers that I would put in the front doors, 4" midrange drivers that I would put in the dash speaker locations, and I would put the tweeters in the A Pillars. Now there's a couple problems with this plan. First of all, this JL set is discontinued, and they haven't come out with a new 3-way system to replace it. Second, I'm not sure about the placement. The tweeters and midranges will be right next to each other, but not on the same "plane," and the woofers will be down in the doors, so the dash will seperate those from the other speakers, which I'm not sure how that will effect my imaging/staging. And third, I'm not sure if it's worth spending the extra cash on the JL 3-way sets, over a traditional 2-way set, or even a 3-way set from another company.

Has anyone on here tried putting 3-ways in their cars? If so, what brand did you use? Can anyone comment on my proposed setup, good, bad, or otherwise?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
first- you can get any thing you want from www.caraudio.com and search threw all the distributors on the site-you will find the JL 3 way kit your looking for. next 4 inch in the dash will take some cutting so be fair warned a head of time. next your going to be really disapointed in the bass quailty if you dont plan on porting the rear deck-AND-keep in mind that the woofer that you plan on using IS going to rattle the rear deck and the trunk lid like rocks in a tin can. SO plan on dynamating the rear deck and trunk lid [IT'S JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS ABOUT THE LX CARS] if you want quality sound in your system. and many members here can tell you that their stuff rattles. in any system being a 2 way or a 3 way all the speakers SHOULD be placed no more than 3 to 6 inch's from each other for the best filled in sound UNLESS you use seperate amps and channels on each speaker to taylor the sound/power to/and placment of each speaker. HERE'S how my girls charger is set up [AND IT RIPS BUTT] dash are stock srt kicker 3 1/2 at 2ohm's off the front channels of a JL 6 CHANNEL and its crossed over at 125 hz's in the hi pass mode and getting 85 true watts each- next the doors are the stock kicker 6x9 mid woofers running at 2 ohm's off the rear channels of the same amp crossed over at 80 hz's in the low pass mode and they are seeing 110 watts each-the rear deck speakers are JL C-5 2 WAY 6x9's and they are runing at 4 ohm's straight off the rear out puts off the radio and they see 54 watts with the ross over on the head unit runing at 80 hz's in high pass mode. this car has amazing mid bass/mids/and highs. and it was done on a budget. the deck and trunk is ALL dynamated with a custom box ported up threw the rear deck runing 2-12 JL w3's and a pionerr premier 9800 HU with built in dual EQ'S and sound staging and time alinement. this has to be the best sounding thrown together car i ever heard. but it took 2 weeks to get all the rattles out of it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Matt,

The sub setup sounds great; the 13W6v2 should work wll the the 500/1v2 amp. Your rear fill will work fine; to be honest, if you're considering a 3 way front stage then I would just fade to the front unless you have passengers. That or have it at a relatively low level.

The 3 way XR set should work pretty well. Just note that the 4" midrange will not drop into the 3.5" spot in the dash and most likely will require a little cutting. Having the tweets in the a-pillars will work fine with the midrange in the dash. There are issues to having the midbass and midrange that far apart, but with a little time alignment you should be able to get a pretty good soundstage.

What I did was take a set of this "coax":

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4764

Put those up in the dash. I did the "coax" as this really is much, much, much nicer than your standard coax. More like a 4" component set that is mounted coaxially. Has outboards xover.

In the doors I have these 8" DLS midbasses:

http://www.dls.se/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_433

These fit with a single 3/4" MDF ring. Was almost too easy. :)

Have the setup with an active LP and HP and the midbass and an active HP on the Morels using an RF 3SIXTY.2 OEM processor. Time alignment helps a LOT in getting a good center image, although I'm having issues getting it perfectly centered for all songs...most like can be attributed to the fact the midbass/midrange are so far apart. Stage "wandering" is I believe what it's called. Not TOO bad, though, just something I notice. Stage is definitely up on the dash and pillar to pillar.

Anyways, feel free to PM me if you have any more questions...a REALLY good car audio forum is www.diymobileaudio.com. Tons of good people on there; hell, the head of Boston Acoustics car audio group just joined this week. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts