Charger Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my suitcase muffler with flowmaster s-10 and deleted the resonators. While it sounds great during acceleration, the drone at cruising speed is driving me nuts. I have thought about moving the s-10's back to where the reso's were and straight pipe where they were or adding an aftermarket glass packs where the resonators where. Got to get rid of the drone but don't want to lose the rumble it has. Thanks for any opinions given.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I replaced my suitcase muffler with flowmaster s-10 and deleted the resonators. While it sounds great during acceleration, the drone at cruising speed is driving me nuts. I have thought about moving the s-10's back to where the reso's were and straight pipe where they were or adding an aftermarket glass packs where the resonators where. Got to get rid of the drone but don't want to lose the rumble it has. Thanks for any opinions given.
I wonder if that is your MDS system. I noticed my hemi sounds a little strange when the "FUEL SAVER MODE" kicks in.

One thing I can tell you for sure is the new 5.7 operate much dif then the old 383s or 440s hemis. Allot more was put into fuel econ and efficiency taking away from the old hemi rumble, most of the fuel econ takes place while at highway speed cruizing. They are much more quite even with mods and don't sound the same as the old schools in many respects. The old hemis never had any kind of fuel economy in mind so even at cruizing speed they rumbled and sounded great at the expense of fuel econ. What I noticed about mine is while cruizing it almost dosn't seem like it even has a V8, its really a pretty quite car to cruize. Really the only time I notice a sound similarity from say an old 383 and my 5.7 is when its floored. Then it sounds like a muscle car.

I interested to hear a fix for your question as well. I found my self wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if that is your MDS system. I noticed my hemi sounds a little strange when the "FUEL SAVER MODE" kicks in.
Could be. I notice the drone a lot between 1800 to 2200 rpm's. Drive me nuts. On a plus side my wife doesn't like driving my car because of the noise. Maybe I should keep the drone. Lol.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Your car does have MDS...that is responsible for the higher pitched bbbrrrrrrrr noise when at cruising speeds/light throttle. Turning that off will get rid of the lag when hitting the go pedal while cruising and it will eliminate some of the drone. However, with no resonators you will always have some drone. Flowmaster mufflers usually have a more severe drone than other systems. Welding in some magnaflow or. Flowmaster resonators will keep your rumble and cut down on drone. Glass packs would work also, which you mentioned. Stick those where the resonators used to be also. Watch some YouTube clips to hear the sound changes of the options you're considering.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. How do I turn off the MDS? I found some 14" glass packs I am going to try on ebay. Then my local muffler guy will weld them on for me. I will update when its done. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
If you have a tuner (diablo trinity, predator, etc.) you can use it to switch off MDS. You have a 2013 so you'll need the diablo intune or the trinity.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cut those flowmasters off and go get some cherry bomb vortex mufflers. Much cheaper than buying a tuner and you get to keep decent gas mileage. I did alot of researching before going with the vortex and I am very happy with them. There is very little drone now and when I romp on it, it sounds terrific inside the car as well as outside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts