Charger Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get some HIDs to replace my stock lights (high/low/fog) but I don't know which kits or bulb sizes I need.. Where would you guys recommend I get them? I'm a bit of a noob. I have a 2010 sxt awd if that helps any.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm looking to get some HIDs to replace my stock lights (high/low/fog) but I don't know which kits or bulb sizes I need.. Where would you guys recommend I get them? I'm a bit of a noob. I have a 2010 sxt awd if that helps any.
  • Stick to Digital canbus-type ballast and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble. You don't need to mess around with wire harnesses or cancelers. You can use cheap analog ballast for fogs if you wanted to save a little money.
  • Consider a headlamp upgrade before HIDs. Upgraded lamps could be a different bulb size than stock. Look at cars with factory HIDs; they all have projector lenses. Putting Hids in non-projectors looks ricey IMO. I went with Spyder headlamps with halos. Looks awesome! Check e-bay and find one you like. Warning: You'll need to remove the front bumper cover to upgrade headlamps. It's a big job, but not hard to do. Then would be a good time to upgrade the grill too. Much easier to do with the bumper off.
  • If you upgrade fogs, it will make them functional. It's worth it. Match fogs & headlights same color. Our 2010s use a 5202 bulb which is a dealer only bulb. You can modify a H16 bulb by trimming off the tabs.
  • HIDs take a few seconds to warm up and get bright. For that reason they don't work well as High beams. I still use halogen (SilverStars) for highs. I find I don't use highs nearly as much with lows and fogs.
  • Mount ballast as high as you can to avoid water. If HIDs stop working its almost always a wiring issue. Driver's side fog kept shorting out until I mounted it in front of airbox.

Hope that covers it. Bottom line, in order to do it right you really should upgrade to projectors first. The projectors focus the beam of light into a tighter beam of light (like a mag light.) The stock lense just scatters the light everywhere, (like a cheap $3 Walmart flashlight.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts