Charger Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 2.7L SE - I have an issue with the 6x9 speakers always blowing. I have a Kenwood 9960 HU connected to a JL HD 600/4, 2 JL C2-690tx 6x9 in front with Kenwood Excelon tweeters and 2 Vibe BlackAir 69 6x9 in the back. I've gone thru JL C2's, Kenwood Excelon KFC-X693 in the front & rear and they always blow. The BlackAir 69's are holding up right now but I'm weary!

I have a custom box ported into the cabin's rear deck running 2 JL W6 with a JL Slash 500/1v2 on each sub. Dual battery, 2 Farad Cap, 0ga power/ground wiring.

My installer was ProLine in Brooklyn, NY, but now I live in NC. I may have to go the DIY route and need some input.

Proline was going to build a custom rear deck with 4 8" speakers and tweeters running off the HD 600/4 and add a JL XD200/2 for the front for more sound and eleminate blowing but I’m not up for traveling and money is tight.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Should I scrap the 6x9's and go bigger with some modding

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Could be a matter of setup. Turn your sub off so you can adjust your mids. Turn the bass all of the way off of your mids, so there is no distortion, and find the best quality sound. Mids just don't draw enough power to blow like subs. I bet too much low db to the 6x9s is whats killing them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'll see if I can help.
1. The radio up front. Does it have a built in amp? If yes can you turn it off or are you sure you are by-passing it so you are not using the JL amp and may be feeding the Kenwood power into it.
2. You are running tweeter and the 6x9 in front off of 2 channels of the amp. Are the 6x9 a 4omh speaker and are the tweeters a 4omh as weel. If so how are they wired seires or parallel. if seires they should be reading 2 ohm. You can test this by disconnecting the speaker wire from the amp, put a volt metter set to read ohms and see what it says. If you are running them at 2 ohms, the actual wattage power to the speakers has increased. The amp should have been rated at 4 and 2 ohms. So what does all that mean. If you are running at 2 ohms you may be suppling more power to the speaker that they can attually handle. If you run them in parallel you should be reading 8 ohms and then there will be less watts running to each speaker but that may be enough to run them safely.
Another thought is are you running anythign on the tweeters to separate mids and lows like a crossover?
3. Also the speakers my not be ratted high enough wattage. What is the RMS power on the amp and what is the RMS watts the speakers are rated at. If you have a high watt amp and low rated speakers they will blow. Double check that to make sure.

If you have any more questions just ask. I hope this will help and makes sense.
4. Is your amp propperly grounded. A good ground with a heavy gauge wire to the body or chassis is best. If you do not have a good ground there may be an issue there. I would also worst case, have the amp bench tested to make sure it is doing what its suppose to do and not anymore.

If you have any question just hit me up and I'll try to talk you through it. Im currently in Afghanistan so there is a little delay.
I used to do custom audio systems in cars, trucks, RVs, Boat and homes. I have some learned some trick along the way. I hope this all helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Specs

HD 600/4:

@ 4 Ω 150 W RMS x 4
@ 3 Ω 150 W RMS x 4
@ 2 Ω 150 W RMS x 4
@ 1.5 Ω 150 W RMS x 4
Bridged @ 8 Ω 300 W RMS x 2
Bridged @ 4 Ω 300 W RMS x 2

JL C2-690tx:

Continuous Power Handling (RMS) 70 W
Peak Music Power 225 W
Recommended RMS Amplifier Power (per Ch.) 15 - 125 W
System Efficiency 93 dB @ 1 W / 1 m
System Nominal Impedance 4 Ω
System Frequency Response 53 Hz - 22 KHz ± 3 dB

Vibe Audio BlackAir 69:

RMS Power : 175 Watts
Peak Power : 525 watts
Min Input : 85 watts RMS
Sensitivity : 90 dB
Freq Response : 50 Hz – 20 KHz
Impedance: 4 Ohms

Kenwood eXcelon KFC-XT15ie:

Peak Power Handling 200 watts
RMS Power Handling 60 watts
Sensitivity 91 dB
Frequency Response 3500 - 90000 Hz
Impedance (Per Voice Coil) 4 ohms

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just looking at what you stated, I would go with your Jl C2 690s are getting a more power than they can handle. I would get some new 6x9 that can handle up to 150 rms. that would be my first thing I would do. I would also looking to seeing if you can turn the amp on the kenwood off. On some Alpines you could turn the radio amp off.
Do you have cross overs for the tweets?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just looking at what you stated, I would go with your Jl C2 690s are getting a more power than they can handle. I would get some new 6x9 that can handle up to 150 rms. that would be my first thing I would do. I would also looking to seeing if you can turn the amp on the kenwood off. On some Alpines you could turn the radio amp off.
Do you have cross overs for the tweets?
Yes the crossovers that came with the tweeters are installed and there is a setting in the radio the selects the sizes of the speakers and their location and for the front it's set at 6x9 with tweeters installed.

I'm thinking about getting another set of BlackAir 69s for the fronts or get some 6.5's and a bracket or mod the opening for 8" speakers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think that is a great idea, getting the same 6x9 for up front or you could always get some 6in drivers for up front make some sealed pods for them and get mad mid range bass out of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts