Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my dodge charger rt from a dealer YESTERDAY. its a 2006 with 60k miles.

It broke down on me 12 hrs later I put 29.8 miles on the car.
It was a little over 1/8 tank of gas and the car dies and wont start.
Finally after being towed and added gas up to a quarter tank it start and ran fine for about 10 mins then sputtering and seems not getting all fuel or power. I placed another $10 worth of gas into the car seems fine atm

I NEED HELP getting the problem sorted out before dealer leaves me with a lemon.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Take it back to them and have it fixed. Obviously somethings not right. If it ran fine before, I'm sure it will run fine after. Have the dealership figure out whats wrong. You have 3 days (pa law) to back out of any contract. Only having 60k miles on it, there shouldn't be anything major.

Report back!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer stated to me he personally drove the car the past 2 weeks and nothing was wrong with it so he is not cooperating. He also informed me he never let the gas go below half a tank I WONDER why?

His resolution was to keep the tank full of gas. Have a nice day?

·
Registered
870 Posts
< His resolution was to keep the tank full of gas. Have a nice day? >

I'd still take it back and not take no for an answer.

Griz

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't take the car back and demand everything to be switched. Missouri has no 3 day law, once a car is legally purchased with a contract signed there is no reversing it. It does have a 3 month or 3,000 mile warranty which ever comes first and its a 50/50 parts and labor, basically im out 50% of whatever it cost.

·
Vendor
10,365 Posts
Are there any codes? Turn the ignition on-off-on-off-on and see what comes up if anything.

Could be the fuel pump, or it could be a roll over valve in the gas tank. Might also be clogged injectors. Unfortuately, there are several possibilities!:confused:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No codes, had it scanned numerous times, car is being tooken to a chryler dealership and having tank dropped. Ill keep you updated.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
May be faulty guage reading.
Buddy just stated this sort of thjng just happened to his 06 rt.
He looked it up, some recall is out there for the guage reading 1/8 to 1/4 but actually having no fuel.
Try making it stall as you stated, then see how much fuel it takes to fill it. If it takes the full 19 gallons to fill it then it is just the guage. If it reads otherwise, and takes significantly less to fill it then it may be reading just fine.

·
Registered
248 Posts
When I bought my car from a used lot; they put some gas in it to bring up to a 1/2 tank......
I let it run down to where the low fuel light kicks on but, only that one time.

Now:
I don't let mine go past 1/4 tank.
Doing so, you suck all the junk that's on the bottom of the tank into the fuel system.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was a sending unit according to the dealership, its being replaced.
To be honest there shouldnt be any junk in your fuel tank if your using the correct fuel and dumping some good fuel cleaner every so often.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Generally the fuel pickup on the pump is on the lowest part of a tank. That's why they have filters you have to replace occasionally.

Griz

·
Vendor
10,365 Posts
This is why we suggest ACES IV used every tank. Stops the alcohol from absorbing moisture. Moisture will cause nylon to swell and get soft and can turn mushy in the tank. Suck up some water and let it freeze and you have a problem.

We stop that from happening in the tank as well as stopping it in the fuel line from freezing. Putting a kerosine based additive or an alcohol additive does nothing for that.;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:
Dealership told me a different story after they first said it was a sending unit etc.
Now they tell me nothing is wrong with the car that it just needs to stay above a 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did nothing I can do basically signed a contract he said nothing is wrong with the car that I just need to keep gas in it. I told him 1/4 tank is alot of gas to keep in at all times and the car wasnt designed like that.

·
Registered
870 Posts
< they tell me nothing is wrong with the car that it just needs to stay above a 1/4 tank. >

Sorry dude. There is nothing wrong with my car as it does not need to be at 1/4 tank at all times.

There is something wrong with yours and the service writer/technician where you are going.

Griz

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Take it to a "real" dealer, have them fix it, take the iron lot to court and sue them for the repair charges.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts