Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I (and others here) have batted this topic around some and since I am really considering this mod, I need to have some help first. So this is where you all come in to play.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I need some input on the wear/ tear on the Charger RT engine (and rearend, trans, etc) with this mod in. Someone here (I believe it was here) stated that after a really good tune it would be okay...elaborate? How much life (if any) am I looking at taking away from the factory block, etc...

And of course...any input in the warrenty...I am actually nutless when it comes to asking the dealer straightout (but I know there is some warrenty act passed in to law that protects us in some fashion).

This thing costs approx $5400 (http://www.superchargersonline.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=2699) and I was wondering how much more it would cost to get a professional to install it?

Last but not least...how does a s/c act on gas mileage? (dumbass question, but I thought I would ask anyway.)

PLEASE...if you read this post and have any insight at all, a response will be most appriecated!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found some answers (on another s/c forum...http://www.explorerexpress.com/qa/superchargers.html). This isn't the Novi 1200, but it may answer some of my (and other's) questions...does this info below jive?

Q. I want 11 lbs of boost, why does the X-charger only make 6 lbs?
A. Supercharging any engine above 6 lbs of boost will require modifications to the fuel system and electronic spark retard. Boost above 9 lbs requires a specially built engine. Our X-CHARGER kits have been designed to work on stock engines with stock fuel systems. The moderate 5-6 lbs maximum boost won't cause engine problems or require modifications.

Q. Will the supercharger effect my fuel mileage?
A. Supercharging should improve fuel mileage because with the added power, less throttle opening is required for a given load. In the real world, mileage usually decreases because the crisp engine response is so pleasing that owners constantly get into the throttle just for fun.

Q. Will the supercharger cause my engine to wear out prematurely??
A. If the ignition and fuel injection systems are working properly, the supercharger will not cause accelerated engine wear. The X-CHARGER features a by-pass system that dumps boost whenever there is vacuum in the engine i.e. cruising, low engine speeds with light throttle opening and the engine operates as a normally aspirated under those conditions. When the supercharger is running with the by-pass valve open, it uses only about 3 horsepower.

Again, this is for another s/c for a Ford, but the concepts could be the same???

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
based on conversations with dodge employees (mechanics) i am fairly certain that the warranty to anything having to do with the engine is gone (in the case of a s/c)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Dagummit, interested in a supercharger. We have that same kit on our Charger, give us a call whenever tonight, we will be up until 2am Est. (706) 536-4114

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
needasrt4 said:
Dagummit, interested in a supercharger. We have that same kit on our Charger, give us a call whenever tonight, we will be up until 2am Est. (706) 536-4114
As much as I would LOVE to take you up on that call...I have to be somewhat incogneto (sp?) around the wife...although she just got a Durango (well, we actually did both of them together...)...she would here me asking this and that and...well, her bitching is the last damn thing that I need...$5400 on a car part is all that I would hear for weeks on end...

Can I give you a call tomorrow in the afternoon?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
needasrt4 said:
By the way...thanks for responding, i definately want more info from you...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts