Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 06 charger r/t it was hit on the front corner and I have to fix it back. After some thought I figured since the whole front end has been removed I figured that would be the time to make any modification to the engine. I have already purchase a mopar CAI and a superchip 3825 and the car already has a cat back borla 125 exhausts. I have been reading and searching in the performance section trying to figure out what I want to do. This car is going to be my daily driver with that being said. My plans are to change the headers and cams, push rods and springs. My goal is to get around 350rwhp I know I could do that if I changed the heads but I don;t think my budget has room for that.

I have been looking at the high flow cats but since i live in a state that doesn;t do smog testing should I eliminate the catilitic converter?

Also what cams would some of you recommend that have changed yours out?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Well, yeah, having the front off does make things much easier. You and I are thinking similar things. Cats off won't give you as much as headers or cam. Personally I think headers are more about SOTP feel than real numbers.

I'm close to either buying the sidewinder or hellfire. Still researching.
Check out this write up: http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=86546

·
Registered
928 Posts
cam, heads, headers. zoooooooooooom!

if your changing internals you sure dont want stock cats on there mucking it all up (or the sorry excuse for headers the Rt has).

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
sidewinder cam. for a daily driver this is a very powerful but the most subtle cam. wont cause much lope or anything. highly advised for a daily driver.

id suggest mopar longtube headers with highflow cats(cats come in the package) for a daily because it garuntees no codes pretty much and are long enough to handle a cam.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

if your changing internals you sure dont want stock cats on there mucking it all up (or the sorry excuse for headers the Rt has).
There are so many different ones to choose from. Long tube headers, shorty tube headers. Same for cams there are so many different ones.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sidewinder cam. for a daily driver this is a very powerful but the most subtle cam. wont cause much lope or anything. highly advised for a daily driver.

id suggest mopar longtube headers with highflow cats(cats come in the package) for a daily because it garuntees no codes pretty much and are long enough to handle a cam.
that is the answer I was needing
So you think I need to keep my cats?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

if i switch to the sidewinder cams will i have to change the rods and springs???

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
yes. you will have to change them no matter waht cam. the 5.7 rods and springs suck for any other cam.

YES replace your cats.

if you get long tubes, you HAVE to replace them as their location is moved.
almost all, if not all, long tube headers come with new high flow cats.
if you dont get any kind of inspection on your car, you can always use straight pipes(aka off road pipes) instead of catted mid pipes or high flow cats. this may free up 1 or 2 more hp over a high flow cat and make your car louder.

do not keep the stock cats no matter what.
if your getting a cam, get long tubes, not shorties. more tube length per cylinder to scavenge extra exhaust gas your new cam makes.

and just so you know. install cost on a cam is gonna be between 600-1200 bucks depending on if you have a good installer, and whether or not he knows hes good... unless you can find some one who doesnt work as a mechanic full time hehe. these arent easy engines to work on.

·
Registered
581 Posts
cams, heads, headers, ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
hahahaha... i like that post!

have a great day!

·
Registered
581 Posts
get rid of the cat! check out HHP for cams... great selection and prices!
I purchased a 06 charger r/t it was hit on the front corner and I have to fix it back. After some thought I figured since the whole front end has been removed I figured that would be the time to make any modification to the engine. I have already purchase a mopar CAI and a superchip 3825 and the car already has a cat back borla 125 exhausts. I have been reading and searching in the performance section trying to figure out what I want to do. This car is going to be my daily driver with that being said. My plans are to change the headers and cams, push rods and springs. My goal is to get around 350rwhp I know I could do that if I changed the heads but I don;t think my budget has room for that.

I have been looking at the high flow cats but since i live in a state that doesn;t do smog testing should I eliminate the catilitic converter?

Also what cams would some of you recommend that have changed yours out?

·
Registered
928 Posts
yeah you didnt ask WHAT parts you should get, you said what should you get. =)

and yes, no matter what you do, you will want to replace the cats (unless you can/want to leave them out). the stock ones are the worst part of our exhaust system. right your car is breathing like if you were walking and breathing through a straw, now imagine running and breathing through that straw. thats what it would be like for your car.

..... get a bigger straw! =D

I would suggest doing the cam and the heads at the same time, might as well get it all done instead of having to go back in and fiddle around more.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
yeah you didnt ask WHAT parts you should get, you said what should you get. =)

and yes, no matter what you do, you will want to replace the cats (unless you can/want to leave them out). the stock ones are the worst part of our exhaust system. right your car is breathing like if you were walking and breathing through a straw, now imagine running and breathing through that straw. thats what it would be like for your car.

..... get a bigger straw! =D

I would suggest doing the cam and the heads at the same time, might as well get it all done instead of having to go back in and fiddle around more.
I don;t care to remove the cats. This is my daily driver family car. I don't want to be going down the highway and can't hear my wife talking because the exhaust is so loud. I am just trying to get my best bang for my buck. I am going to be driving this care for awhile

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The most bang for you buck would be the Sidewinder Cam and the Mopar Longtubes from MPSC and they come with highflo Cats.
Man Borla 125's that thing has to be loud already

·
Registered
928 Posts
not having cats wont change your sound much assuming you still have mufflers and resonators. they arent much more than pipe as it is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts