Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to mod the exhaust on my new Charger. I know exhaust sound is subjective, but I'm hoping for some direction. I basically have 2 requirements:

I want a little more rumble,but not too loud, and definitely no drone.
I plan to supercharge the car next year, and I want something that will flow well enough with the blower.

For comparison, I have Solo exhaust on my Challenger, and while it sounds great, it's a bit louder than what I want for the Charger.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Well, mufflers change sound and resonators eliminate drone.

I suggest a good rumbling muffler set-up and keep the stock resos.

Based on what you described you want, I suggest trying something like Super 44s (or similar) to replace the stock mufflers.

Deep tone mufflers is what you want. Not raspy or loud.

·
Registered
350 Posts
DUDE. If its for your 2014 RT I have your solution. Check out the Dynomax Super Turbo Catback. Part Number 39518. Thats exactly what I was looking for and found it with this catback. Its $340.00 on amazon now and is a doable install at home. I just put mine on a few weeks ago and absolutely could not be happier.

The power you gain is pretty sick and noticable as well. Midrange power is AWESOME now. Oh yeah little to no drone. Seriously check it out.

·
Registered
350 Posts
And as far as flow is concerned (Missed you were going to super charge it) a pair of Super Turbos flow just about unrestricted up to about 400 HP. There will be other mufflers that will flow better but will probably be allot louder. These mufflers will be significantly quieter than a chameber type muffler like FlowMasters and will flow better for sure. Chamber mufflers with no resonators tend to drone pretty bad from what I have read. Thats why I like the Turbo mufflers. Strait through design and very little restriction while maintainign a mellow tone. This setup do not have anything other than a pair of mufflers so it opens up the exhaust significantly (2.25" - 2.5" plus no resonators).

·
Registered
440 Posts
DUDE. If its for your 2014 RT I have your solution. Check out the Dynomax Super Turbo Catback. Part Number 39518. Thats exactly what I was looking for and found it with this catback. Its $340.00 on amazon now and is a doable install at home. I just put mine on a few weeks ago and absolutely could not be happier.

The power you gain is pretty sick and noticable as well. Midrange power is AWESOME now. Oh yeah little to no drone. Seriously check it out.

Can you post a video on your setup? I'd like to hear it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The price is certainly right on the Dynomax system, but reviews on Amazon said it had more noise inside than outside. I want the opposite.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unfortunately this is a question that will you get a lot of different answers. My advice is to youtube some videos of Charger exhausts and see what you like hearing then look them up on here and see what people say about them.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone running Blastin' Bob's 4db glasspack resonators with OEM mufflers? Supposed to give a little more tone with no drone.

·
Registered
350 Posts
With the dynomax exhaust allot of people mistaken a vibration of the midpipe on the tunnel braces for drone and loud cabin noise. I know this because I installed the exhaust too low and my exhaust rested on the tunnel/ support braces underneith the car. It rattles and spounds like crap. Once I made the adjustments to raise the exhaust properly over the braces all unwanted vibrations went away. My guess is that any complaint of drone or loud cabin noise is due to improper installation. I can speak from experience.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Here are a couple very quick light and WOT runs from inside the cabin.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Start Up

Jun 29

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
How is the drone in here? I'm looking into this system, but i don't want the rattle that was talked about earlier.

·
Registered
584 Posts
How about something straight through in place of the center muffler and leave the resonators alone. Some guys do straight pipe, deleting the mufflers, but I would likely do a glass pack or magnaflow ultraflow straight through. Wouldn't be too much louder, but different, especially when WOT.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
How about something straight through in place of the center muffler and leave the resonators alone. Some guys do straight pipe, deleting the mufflers, but I would likely do a glass pack or magnaflow ultraflow straight through. Wouldn't be too much louder, but different, especially when WOT.
From what i have heard the isn't much of a change in sound if you simply replace the mids and leave the resos. It seems like to get any change on the outside sound you have to remove the mids, the resos, or both. But i may be wrong.

·
Registered
584 Posts
From what i have heard the isn't much of a change in sound if you simply replace the mids and leave the resos. It seems like to get any change on the outside sound you have to remove the mids, the resos, or both. But i may be wrong.
Yes I think it would be slightly louder at idle and cruise, and more than that when accelerating.
I thought the OP wanted a mild change. Not everybody thinks the exhaust that is loudest, is best.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Depends if you are 18 (or think you are 18) or 35. I concur with the above poster - Corsa for a nice sound with no drone. I used Solo high flow cat midpipes and Corsa catback with JBA headers and the car sounds good without sounding to0 loud. Zero drone at any speed. I will try to post a video/audio clip.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Definitely agree with going to youtube and listening to a few different set ups. Though it isn't 100% accurate because there are different mods that the posters may have, its probably the best way to do it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts