Charger Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read info on many cams and it seems like you need to decide on low or high end power? If I had to decide I guess I would pick low end sense that is the most fun range (and I think I lost some with straight pipes). I am no cam expert, but I just want the best overall power and the most aggressive sound possible on my 5.7 stock r/t. I am running straight exhaust, air-hammer, and a trinity 91 oct tune. I just would love a slower rough idle sound (old classic lope sound). I am not sure where to start. I am also looking for what I would need to complete the install such as heads etc. what I am hoping for is a complete list of parts and if any one is willing to install it for me here in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota. I have never gone to a track, but would like to some day. The car is my summer car only, so not concerned about any winter driving/power concerns that might want to persuade me to a less aggressive cam.

I think i want a high lift cam with lope right? I want the biggest and best :) I have been saving pennies for some time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That black charger has the srt max rumbler from inertia. If I am not mistaking you have to have different heads for that cam.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
With the SRT Max you can run stock heads but you need to swap to 6.1 springs and push rods. To get the most from the cam CNC ported polished heads with upgraded springs are the way to go, just remember the stock intake manifold is only good for roughly 5700 rpms so moving to 6.1 heads and intake are the better way to go, but the cost goes up even more.

How soon are you looking to do the install? I am doing mine mid march.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Also if your are thinking of going as big as the SRT max or max rumbler a stall converter is a must for the lower end performance.

With my set up I plan on running all year, even the nasty winters we get in ND.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not pressed to get this done. I just want to do it right and get the right parts to do it right. I assumed I would need a cam and maybe heads with hopes to pay someone on the side to do it. If I need to go with a bigger manifold and springs, I will do it but just need to see what the new total $$ will be to see if its in the budget. If i dont have enough then it will be till mid summer I suppose? Never new about the stall converter. I need to read up on that part :)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
What expectations do you have? If you are wanting to take it to the strip on weekends and run it and don't plan to drive it much then go bigger and install a higher stall converter. If you drive mostly HWY and run it a little at the track bump it down a notch from radical. If most of your driving is city and you never spend time at the track you need to go conservative. Otherwise, you could end up with a fast car that gets beat up on by those pesky Civics in downtown traffic.

Your talking a lot of custom work and tuning. You may want to consider a supercharger. With that you gain driveability in the city and you are faster at the track for a little more $$$ than custom heads, cam, and tune. Most superchargers offer a tune specifically for the application so you don't have to go to a custom tuner.......or at least Kenn Bell used to.

Best of all, if you are handy and have a good knowledge of how engines work, you can install the SC/Blower yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ultimate Automotive Apple Valley, 952-431-0900 Owners name is Bruce and he would be more then capable of doing the job I'm sure. There is also a speed shop right next door with a dyno so once your done with the cam and you feel like tuning... its right around the corner!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts