Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am thinking about adding a Supercharger (prob Vortech or Procharger) to my 06 Charger R/T. Right now, it has Flowmaster exhaust and CAI. My concern is that my car has about 155,000 miles on it, so I am scared that the supercharger would put too much strain on an engine and transmission with a lot of miles on it. The car runs like new and has thus far held up to many hard pulls on the road with no issues at all. Except the ESP (sigh).

I would appreciate any thoughts that you guys could give me. Thanks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
A supercharger puts alot of strain even on a new engine. If the engine is well maintained and still runs good, i say go for it. Just keep the boost at around 6 psi and it should be fine.
I run only synthetic oil in my supercharged rumble bee and change it at 3-4 k intervals. Also get the tranny fluid flushed and filled before you get the sc. Maintenance is key.

Warming up the engine before you boost it also will help prolong the engine life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I bought the car used with just over 150,000 miles on it. It runs smoother/better than my buddy's which is same year had has only 85,000 +/- miles on it.

I'm new to the whole supercharger thing. So correct me if I am wrong, but when you say keep the boost around 6 psi, your talking about the boost curve, correct. Essentially meaning that it will not pull quite as hard and only pulls to a certain pressure then stops. Is that right?

Another question. Once installed, do you have to have it professionally tuned or is that what the programmers are for?

·
Registered
186 Posts
6psi would be the max safe boost on a stock engine. It builds boost with engine rpm.
At that boost most kits have a preprogramed tune to make the install foolproof.

I have my boost at 10psi but it has forged pistons and rods for extra strength, it Also it had to be tuned because of the extra pressure. Cooler spark plugs and an aux fuel pump to keep the fuel flowing at a high enough pressure along with a retard in timing to prevent detonation , which is the thing that destroys an engine quickly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet. That sounds like it would work since I am not looking for a race car. This is my everyday car. My goal is to get well over 400hp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts