Charger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Mopar People,

I own a 2008 Charger R/T , 5.7L Hemi. Although the car is 11 years old it has logged only 24,000 miles. The manual says to replace the plugs at either 30,000 miles or after 5 years so here I go. Am I correct to assume that all the 5.7 engines have 16 plugs? I plan to do the job myself and want to use the very best Hi-Performance plugs out there? I'm looking at the NGK Laser Platinum set. Has anyone out there used these and if so are you happy with them? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It looks like replacement is somewhat of a hassle so I want the new plugs to perform well and last a while. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Greetings Mopar People,

I own a 2008 Charger R/T , 5.7L Hemi. Although the car is 11 years old it has logged only 24,000 miles. The manual says to replace the plugs at either 30,000 miles or after 5 years so here I go. Am I correct to assume that all the 5.7 engines have 16 plugs? I plan to do the job myself and want to use the very best Hi-Performance plugs out there? I'm looking at the NGK Laser Platinum set. Has anyone out there used these and if so are you happy with them? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It looks like replacement is somewhat of a hassle so I want the new plugs to perform well and last a while. Thanks in advance.
Go with copper Champions. That's what Dodge recommends, they're about two bucks each, and they've lasted 11 years in that car with no problems.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Go with copper Champions. That's what Dodge recommends, they're about two bucks each, and they've lasted 11 years in that car with no problems.
Yes stick with the factory spec copper plugs..other types don't play well with the ignition system in the older models (New cars I would recommend NGK).

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Look in the Owner Manual and see if it recommends Champion brand or NGK brand plugs (they're both copper core nickel plated plugs). The only difference is the electrode gap and the torque specs.
Champion - RE14MCC4, 0.045 in. gap, torque = 13 (± 2) ft. lbs. (torque critical tapered design ... do not exceed 15 ft. lbs.)
NGK - LZFR5C-11, 0.043 in. gap, torque = 18.5 to 22 ft. lbs. (torque range based on wet/dry threads)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts