Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NC government bureaucracy is starting to get on my nerves, particulary with regards to the DMV.
Today I went to get my post-registration inspection: safety, emissions, and tint.
The dealership was kind enough to "fail" me without actually officially testing me (thus saving me the fees and forcing me to return to the dealership once I had remedied the issue). Apparently, my Arizona tint levels won't pass NC standards.
It was suggested that I might to look into having the inspection done at a small repair shop where they might not "notice" the tint:wink: .

I've got 9 days left to perform the inspection, and those 9 days include closing on my new house, move-in day, and Thanksgiving, so time is limited.

Can anybody suggest a shop in or around Wake Forest, NW Raleigh, N Cary, or the Brier Creek area that might not ...notice?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
We had the same problem with my wife's TL when we first moved here. We ended up getting the car re-tinted which was more expensive because the old tint had to be removed. I wish I could help but every place I've been inspected the tint. Also, they tack an additional $10 to the inspection fee if you have tint. Perhaps that is why they ALL inspected the tint, an easy $10 for absolutely nothing!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am a NC Inspector and really hate this part of the inspection. Last year we broke our tint meter and can no longer inspect cars with aftermarket tint. I always hated failing someone or charging that extra 10 bucks. Most shops now are pretty hard nosed about the inspections because big brother is always watching. Good luck.

·
Registered
689 Posts
NC government bureaucracy is starting to get on my nerves, particulary with regards to the DMV.
Today I went to get my post-registration inspection: safety, emissions, and tint.
The dealership was kind enough to "fail" me without actually officially testing me (thus saving me the fees and forcing me to return to the dealership once I had remedied the issue). Apparently, my Arizona tint levels won't pass NC standards.
It was suggested that I might to look into having the inspection done at a small repair shop where they might not "notice" the tint:wink: .

I've got 9 days left to perform the inspection, and those 9 days include closing on my new house, move-in day, and Thanksgiving, so time is limited.

Can anybody suggest a shop in or around Wake Forest, NW Raleigh, N Cary, or the Brier Creek area that might not ...notice?

Thanks.
Like [email protected] said, the legal limit is 35%. I have had tint on all of my cars at 20% by paying cash to my tint guy and getting inspected by someone who knows me or someone who I know will not say anything (some local small garages). You just have to find a station that will "not notice it".

Funny story, my last car I got inspected at a small garage and left my windows down. When the guy rolled the windows up to see the tint, he looked at me funny and I just said you can look past that. I think it kind of scared him because I had never been there before but he didn't speak that much English so I got out of it.

Last year I went to a shop that is on the same street that I work on and he knew me so he did not mind it. I am not sure if I can recommend you there though because I think they are a bit skeptical of strangers due to some recent activities that have taken place.

I have never had problems with being stopped for it by cops either. The bad part for you is that you are new to the area and do not know any shops that can look around it but dealerships are definately not the place to go for that.

I will see if my brother knows any places out in the Brier Creek area since he works out there and has some friends out that way. My best advice is just what was suggested to you before, look for a small garage. I am in Zebulon so not sure if you want to drive out here but there are some out here that I mentioned before.

·
Registered
689 Posts
NCDOT website has locations and I would say look there and find the Garage and muffler type places as opposed to dealerships and snappy lubes.

Here is Wake forest:
https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/dmv/emissions/ViewStations.aspx?ci=WAKE FOREST#

My cousin used to have a friend a Jiffy Lube that would just sell him and my brother the sticker (it was like 3-4 dollars) without inspecting. I don't think that would work now with everything computerized but that would be nice.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks everyone. I appreciate it. Thanks for the link, too, BonB.

I was thinking on letting my friend Mr. Jackson do some of the talking for me as well...

·
Registered
689 Posts
How dark are you? 35% is about the darkest you can go because I believe the limit if it is tested is 32% (if memory serves me correctly).

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you were in fayetteville I would meet up with you and take you to my guy I have 20% all around

1 - 10 of 10 Posts