Charger Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got back from Car Toys. I went in to get a quote to have a few things done, and came out knowing that I am going to be doing as much of the install as I can myself. I went in to get an estimate on:

JBL GTO-EZ 500 watt amp+installation
Infiniti 3002 3.5'' dash speakers+installation
Installation of my alpine mrp350 amp to connect my rear deck speakers to it

I went in and looked at the amp first. It's on Amazon right now for $120. At car toys it is on sale for 169.96 but normally 199. The Infiniti 3002 speakers on sale for 90, on amazon for 75. I also knew I would need bass knob to control the bass level in the subs 39.99, no big deal. Those were the only things I went in to look at purchasing, other than getting a quote on installation. However, once they went out to look at my vehicle, they told me that I need a sound processor because the sound in our cars attenuates, which means that when I turn up the volume, it will turn down the level of my subwoofers. They said the processor is the only way to flatten it out and eliminate that. I've posted some pics of my quote(see attached pictures below) that show the whole story. Then he added on the amp connect kits for both of my amps, and charged for speaker wire, other parts and labor. Long story short, we came to a total of 998.70. Once he started adding everything up, I wasn't too surprised at the total, but going in the door I did not expect it to be this expensive. All I can say now, is that I better pick up basic audio installation as a hobby!

So this leaves me wondering... Is this all stuff that I could do by myself or with the help of someone else? Or do I need to bring this to the professionals to install? Are all of things added on necessary?

Thanks all!

Attachments

· Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,546 Posts
I am sure you can find the stuff online cheaper than Car Toys, as you mentioned!

As far as the install, probably wouldn't be too difficult, but as long as you had wiring diagrams and you are familiar with basic wiring, you could do the install yourself!

You might check YouTube and see if there are any install videos of those that someone has done in a Charger and see if you are comfortable attempting it!

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sure you can find the stuff online cheaper than Car Toys, as you mentioned!

As far as the install, probably wouldn't be too difficult, but as long as you had wiring diagrams and you are familiar with basic wiring, you could do the install yourself!

You might check YouTube and see if there are any install videos of those that someone has done in a Charger and see if you are comfortable attempting it!
Thanks for the response! And I'm sure i can find the stuff cheaper, you're right. My worry is the install.

I've done some wiring stuff for previous cars in the past, but not too much. This car is BRAND NEW, and i just don't want to mess anything up. I'm just about 100% confident i can do the dash speakers at the least. I get a little more worried with installing the amps. That is my main concern. I've connected subs to amps, but haven't done much connecting amps to the car, battery, grounding, etc.

· Registered
835 Posts
If you are controlling your bass with a volume remote, then you don't really need a processor for the attenuation. It just does that automagically. But a well-respected processor for doing just that is the Audio Control Lc2i.

I posted a thread on amp installation. It is actually easier in a Charger than most other cars because the battery is in the trunk and there are great places for grounding right at the rear seats. I have pictures and explanation there and I can post more if needed.

You can do it! Saver the money for better speakers or mods.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are controlling your bass with a volume remote, then you don't really need a processor for the attenuation. It just does that automagically. But a well-respected processor for doing just that is the Audio Control Lc2i.

I posted a thread on amp installation. It is actually easier in a Charger than most other cars because the battery is in the trunk and there are great places for grounding right at the rear seats. I have pictures and explanation there and I can post more if needed.

That's the one they were pointing out to me was the Lc2i. I didn't see where you had mentioned that to me when i was asking you things, so o figured i could get along with out it. They just told me that the stock system will control the volume of sub if i didn't do that.

I'll definitely take a closer look at this thread. I want to do it myself and save myself the 500-600 bucks, because i do want to make some other mods and don't want to use all of my money on this.

I really appreciate all of your help!

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

So would you recommend that I get the Lc2i?

Also, if you could give me the link for the amp thread that would be great. I'm looking around and I have seen a few but I'd like to get the exact one you are talking about so I can figure out what I'm doing lol.

As far as amp installation kits... I found this on Amazon

would this work? If not could you please point me in the direction of something that will?
I am going to have two amps to install, so I want to make sure that I have the right kits and enough wire for each of them.:bigthumb:

· Registered
835 Posts
The thread is "Amplifer upgrade, thoughts and info-2nd Gen"
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233682&highlight=

typing from my phone so I don't know if the URL is right so you might search for it. Getting on a plane right now so I will check out the amp kits later.

As far as the LC2i goes, the amps you want to use take speaker level inputs, so you could try to go with the remote bass control only. But it is a good quality unit and people swear by them. Check the thread and let me know what you think about options.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thread is "Amplifer upgrade, thoughts and info-2nd Gen"
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233682&highlight=

typing from my phone so I don't know if the URL is right so you might search for it. Getting on a plane right now so I will check out the amp kits later.

As far as the LC2i goes, the amps you want to use take speaker level inputs, so you could try to go with the remote bass control only. But it is a good quality unit and people swear by them. Check the thread and let me know what you think about options.
Thanks I'll favorite and check out that thread. I'll need to do my research.

No worries on the kits, whenever is convenient let me know:-D.

With the Lc2i, is that something that I could add in later if need be? Or would it be a pain in the a$$ to do after everything else is done? I just don't want to have my bass turning down on be randomly or having it out of my control.

· Registered
835 Posts
So would you recommend that I get the Lc2i?

Also, if you could give me the link for the amp thread that would be great. I'm looking around and I have seen a few but I'd like to get the exact one you are talking about so I can figure out what I'm doing lol.

As far as amp installation kits... I found this on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/KnuKonceptz-K...411291278&sr=1-1&keywords=knukonceptz+8+gauge

would this work? If not could you please point me in the direction of something that will?
I am going to have two amps to install, so I want to make sure that I have the right kits and enough wire for each of them.:bigthumb:
You can definitely add things like the Lc2i later. One of the things I go over in the thread is how you can really do things in stages, which lets you see how each thing affect the system and allow you to stop where you want without going crazy spending a lot of money. I talked about the Lc7i, which is for doing the whole system. It is basically two Lc2i's.

Here are the amp kits I used, which were high quality copper and better than ones that I saw for sale at retailers. The ones you highlighted were aluminum wire, which is cheaper. I think it is a matter of taste. The NVX stuff is high quality for a good price. I can recommend it as easy to work with.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_60718_NVX-XAPK8.html

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can definitely add things like the Lc2i later. One of the things I go over in the thread is how you can really do things in stages, which lets you see how each thing affect the system and allow you to stop where you want without going crazy spending a lot of money. I talked about the Lc7i, which is for doing the whole system. It is basically two Lc2i's.

Here are the amp kits I used, which were high quality copper and better than ones that I saw for sale at retailers. The ones you highlighted were aluminum wire, which is cheaper. I think it is a matter of taste. The NVX stuff is high quality for a good price. I can recommend it as easy to work with.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_60718_NVX-XAPK8.html
Just read the entire amp thread... I feel so much better about doing it myself now. I still have some questions, but overall I have a much better understanding of everything and I will be comfortable doing it myself. Plus I know that I can always come here if I have questions and they will get answered.

I think the first thing I will do is install the dash speakers, because that will be pretty easy with just the speakers and the wiring harness that I have to add. And not very expensive either. Next I think I will connect the rear deck speakers to the alpine amp that I have, per your recommendation, and see how that sounds. Once I have that done, I will go ahead and do the amp and subs, and I think I will do the lc2i, because from my understanding you cannot have the bass and the volume high without it(please correct me if I am wrong).

I looked at the amp kit that you used and I will definitely go with that one because I like the idea of the copper wire. Would I need two of those for installing each of the amps that I will be installing?

I will be doing this in sections, like you said. I think that is a good idea and a great advantage to doing it yourself.

· Registered
737 Posts
you are replacing the stock amp?

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you are replacing the stock amp?
No I'll be adding an amp for the rear deck speakers, and adding another amp and subs, as well as changing out the dash speakers.

· Registered
737 Posts
No I'll be adding an amp for the rear deck speakers, and adding another amp and subs, as well as changing out the dash speakers.
the dash is pretty simple, I think you will need to solder.
I had a shop do it, all in it was 1k
I added a 10 inch sub
amp for the sub
and new set of speakers all around

Just be-careful with choosing correct OHMs

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the dash is pretty simple, I think you will need to solder.
I had a shop do it, all in it was 1k
I added a 10 inch sub
amp for the sub
and new set of speakers all around

Just be-careful with choosing correct OHMs
Yeah i think i can save money all around by doing it on my own. Fortunately there are some pretty knowledgable people on here that can help me through it. But i absolutely want to make sure all the technical details are correct.

· Registered
737 Posts
Yeah i think i can save money all around by doing it on my own. Fortunately there are some pretty knowledgable people on here that can help me through it. But i absolutely want to make sure all the technical details are correct.
If you plan to install new amps for the speakers, I would just run new wiring. I used the the existing wiring and the system has some punch but the selection of what you can do with it is pretty limited.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you plan to install new amps for the speakers, I would just run new wiring. I used the the existing wiring and the system has some punch but the selection of what you can do with it is pretty limited.
I'm planning on adding an amp for the rear deck speakers, so you would recommend new wire from those to the amp?

· Registered
835 Posts
It is a short wiring run so that would be easy with the speaker wire you get in an amp installation kit.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is a short wiring run so that would be easy with the speaker wire you get in an amp installation kit.
Cool, i will look to replace that when i install my amp. I'm just waiting to sell my 08 charger before i start any mods on this one. Hopefully I'll be able to start soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.