Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just got my car and it came with 22" black chrome rims. Well I went into the tire shop that I usually go to to have the tires balanced because the steering wheel was shuddering a little and I figured I would nip it in the bud. So the guy calls me into the back of the shop to show me that one of the lug nuts is a different size than all of the others and they cant get it off. The lug nut is too big for the socket they were using and the next socket up is too big to fit in the hole. He is telling me that there is no way to get it off without damaging the rim.

Any tire guys out there who can give me some guidance? Should I let him give it a try?

Thanks!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Is it all the rims all just that one rim. My car is the same but the one that doesnt fit is one of those security lug nuts that you need the lock for. other wise the regular is to big for the nut and the next size up doesnt fit into socket opening. Just a thought but that might be the problem if its happening on all 4 rims.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Is this a security/locking lug? If so there is probably a key to it somewhere. If you can't locate it I would take it to a different shop. I have heard of shops getting locking lugs off without damaging the wheel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it is indeed a lug nut, and not a wheel lock, Some tool makers make thin walled sockets for this problem ! air wrench sockets generally are very thick.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If it is indeed a lug nut, and not a wheel lock, Some tool makers make thin walled sockets for this problem ! air wrench sockets generally are very thick.
what he said they make a thin wall socket catch a snapon guy rolling around...my want to find another tire shop too...dosent sound like they are too experienced....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you guys are right about finding a new tire guy... Its just the one tire but my first thought was that it was a security lug nut as well because the rims on my last car had a special tool that you had to have to get them off. I called the dealer to see if they just forgot to give it to me or something and they are getting back to me... something tells me they are going to pass the buck. I am going to check in to finding a thin wall socket, thanks for the suggestions everyone!

·
Registered
97 Posts
got pix of it ? and where you going in the bay area theres prolly a lot more places lol... i had a problem getting wheels off but luckily i got the key out ... had to send for another key haha if any pix i can tell you if you can get it out ... my lock was stuck all the way in also they couldn't get around it even with a wheel lock kit ...

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I've seen this before on some aftermarket rims. Just use a regular (non-impact) 1/2" deep socket. That should fit. Use a breaker bar instead of an impact gun so you don't tear up the socket.

Best,

·
Registered
581 Posts
i didnt look so im sure the question has been answered... but they have special thin wall sockets to get the lugs off. Its pretty common actually!

how did they manage to get them on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a dodge ram before the Charger. And I had a problem with the lug nut's too. They would swell up from the pressure of the truck. and they would have to break them off buy drilling the sides of and making it fit a socket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts