Charger Forums banner

Is my outside temperature reading incorrect?

• My gauge reads at least 10 degrees too low

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
During the SRT Chat, the engineers were asked about the EVIC giving the wrong temperature reading as compared to the true outside temp. They indicated that there wasn't a problem and they are accurate to within a degree or two. Well, I don't think so and my experience here says I'm not the only one. So, I'd like a poll to see how many others see the same thing. Is your outside temperature too high, too low or just right?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
mine is way off. its rarely accurate. sure i could adjust it like everybody says, but its not consistantly off either.

i went 3 months where it read 50 degrees morning, noon and night. i can be driving an hour before it even changes 1 degree sometimes. its been 20 degrees or more off, then 5 degrees off within the same 10 minute trip.

im just set on the fact there is a design flaw. my parents volkswagen is perfectly accurate all the time. it doesnt need to "warm up" it just plain works, as it should. My dads ram works perfectly fine too, so at least some dodges are ok.

ive had the dealer reset it, and watched the banks sign across the street read 10 degrees warmer. i had a sales guy start another couple chargers and they were all off significantly.

my big gripe is that i would like to know if its 32 degrees or not to judge for ice during the winter. a 10 degree variance is useless.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
My temp used to be right, but ever since I installed my CAI it hasn't been right.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
ive had the dealer reset it, and watched the banks sign across the street read 10 degrees warmer. i had a sales guy start another couple chargers and they were all off significantly.
As, we all know how accurate those bank signs are....... :smoke:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya know, that can be adjusted in the evic settings...
You can adjust it, but it resets when the car is restarted.

Also, I have used a separate thermometer just to verify it. The banks are correct more often than the Charger is. My wife's Nitro reports the correct temperature so I'm confident that the one in the Charger is defective, and there seems to be a fair number of them that also have the problem. The poll I posted seems to reflect a consistent number of cars with the same problem.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not too mention the fact that the radio picks the same exact "Random" song order every freakin time!!!!!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the numbers so far seem to validate what I've thought about the temperature gauge. Now if we can just get someone at DCX to believe that their really is an issue.

I know that this probably isn't a huge thing, but geez, for the cost of this car you'd think that something as simple as the temperature gauge could work correctly.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump....

I just want to keep this active for a while longer to see if there more data. Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi,
My temp gauge was right on the money all the time ( 2 week old charger)
The problem was that it always switched back to the milage reading by itself.
Dealer changed the cluster today and it works but now its at least 5 deg. higher than the real temperture. I'll live with it , not happy through;(
Frank

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mine is accurate, but it gets stuck, especially in the summer. I will be going home from work and it will still read the morning temperature and all of a sudden it will start going up and up and finally it hits whatever temperature it is. Dealer changed out the sensor, but still does it.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've gotten used to it I guess. I always know that the actual temperature is about 3 to 5 degrees cooler from what it says. The dealership doesn't think there's anything wrong, even when you show them that the Nitro (our other car) is spot on, sitting rigth next to it.

It's like the coolant issue. I've decided that will never be resolved either. I am about ready to call DCX for some help.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've gotten used to it I guess. I always know that the actual temperature is about 3 to 5 degrees cooler from what it says. The dealership doesn't think there's anything wrong, even when you show them that the Nitro (our other car) is spot on, sitting rigth next to it.

It's like the coolant issue. I've decided that will never be resolved either. I am about ready to call DCX for some help.
My friend has a Jeep Grand Cherokee and she said her's gets stuck like mine too. Weird!! My dealer doesn't know how to fix it. They admitted it.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Mine is pretty close. Keep in mind the temperature of the blacktop is always 5-10 lbs higher then ambient. Plus the thermocouple will easily heat soak, depending on where it is located in the car.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Mine is accurate. X2 what Part Deux says ^^^ about the blacktop temp causing a higher reading.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The temp gauge on my GoMango Daytona was always high by eight degrees. On the 'bee, it's accurate as long as it's had air moving over it for at least ten minutes. Until then it indicates anywhere from a little high to alot high.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts