Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The short version is, it's a great spoiler, I got the painted and it matched perfectly. Well worth the money.

It arrived on time, shipped from Kentucky one day after I ordered. Shipping info was sent immediately so I could track it. Shipping was free.

It was packed very well. It came with the spoiler (duh!), four screws/washers, an instruction sheet, four strips of paper for the template, and a little keychain light.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First, I attached the templates to the holes in the pillars. Then, I spent about 20 minutes lining the thing up, measuring from every angle I could think of. Everything was lined up perfect. One thing that helped for guidance was marking on the car roughly where it should be, using dry erase markers taken from my daughter.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next, I taped the templates on the trunk using scotch tape, and my wife lifted the spoiler up while I held the paper down. I then proceeded to drill in the holes in the templates. First, a 3/32 pilot hole, then a 9/32 hole, as per the instructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mistake Number 1

(No pics here, as this was done mostly in a panic)

I cleared all the debris away, and sprayed the holes with Krylon to rust proof them.

The spray cone was HUGE! I got the stuff all over the place. I freaked, ran inside, and got some warm soapy water and some rags.

Unfortunately, all this did was get my trunk wet and soapy, and smeared the Krylon where it was thickest.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mistake 2

So, thinking quickly, I ran and got some enamel thinner i use for my model cars. It worked like a charm, cleaned the Krylon right up.

Then I realized, I had paint thinner all over my car! So, I used the soapy water to wash that all off. Unfortunately, when I tried to rinse all that off, I found it was more soapy than water, and I couldn't exactly hose it off since, you kknow, I had 4 holes going straight thru to the trunk. So, that took some extra effort.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mistake 3

So, fearing I had cleaned all the Krylon off the holes, too, I tried spraying again, with the nozzle right up to the hole. This had similar results as before, the cone gets wide in a hurry, but i didn't do as much this time, so cleanup was easier.

Finally, I grabbed a plastic cup from inside. I sprayed inside it for a minute to build up a puddle of Krylon, and used that to aooly to the holes. Unfortunately, I didn't think, and the blowback from the cup rustproofed my whole freaking hand!

Again, cleaned off with the thinner, and let it dry on the holes for a while.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mistake 4 (the big mistake)

Here is where things went really bad. I opened the trunk, and saw two holes. After a second, I realized the OTHER two holes were obscured by the trunk liner! I was able to access them, but just barely, thru the holes you stick bungee cable in (I'm sure this all has technical names, but I don't know them).

This was my big lesson learned: Measure from both the outside AND inside of the trunk.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It took two days, and a trip to Home Depot to replace a screw I stripped (which they had run out of. The ONE size screw they were out of!) and some new tools (neither of which ended up working), I got the whole thing screwed in, nice and tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
I used a small tube of touch-up paint (the one with the small brush) to touch-up the holes ...

Good luck with the rest of the install :grin:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally, success! It was attached, nice and tight. It looks great, and I couldn't be happier. All the problems and mistakes were my own doing, and in no way reflect on this great product.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wrap up

Finally, I'd like to thank my lovely assistant, my wife, without whose love and helpful support none of this would have been possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SHameless plug

For any vendors out there who liked this review, and would like me to do one for their products, I'm always interested in any freebies in exchange ;)

·
Registered
618 Posts
looks great, can't wait to get mine this week. But, dear god, i hope i dont have as many problems as you do.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Finally, I'd like to thank my lovely assistant, my wife, without whose love and helpful support none of this would have been possible.
LOL, I bet she is like wtf! I better get something for helping with that stupid car :D

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Nice install.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, she had to leave the area at one point. Actually, it wasn't that bad. I put a lot of this up there as a warning to others to be careful (that should be my sig)

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
You know, I was looking at the first pics and thinking that you don't have the spoiler set back enough .... and then you start listing your installation mistakes ....

Damn ... I thought I was watching Homer Simpson or Peter Griffin do the install ..... :lol:

Glad it ended up working out for ya ..... :grin:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know, I was looking at the first pics and thinking that you don't have the spoiler set back enough ....
Oh, sure, NOW you tell me...

If I had to make a complaint, that would be it. It says the minimum distance to have it placed from the rear, but doesn't say anything more than that. I kinda had to eyeball it, but I don't think it's off by too much. It's about 2" from the rear, so it can't be that far off.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Oh, sure, NOW you tell me...

If I had to make a complaint, that would be it. It says the minimum distance to have it placed from the rear, but doesn't say anything more than that. I kinda had to eyeball it, but I don't think it's off by too much. It's about 2" from the rear, so it can't be that far off.
That means it's about 2" off ..... LOL

When I was about to install it, I got on Google and searched for pics of Charger SRT8's and spoilers .... trying to see how far back it was mounted .... then looked at the other side and it all made sense .... ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts