Charger Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
My quest has FINALLY come to an end! I’ll tell you about it.

Now, if you want my impressions of the car, I’ll start another thread. Needless to say, a Pursuit is really an acquired taste. Make sure you test drive one over bumpy roads to see if this is REALLY what you want. Anyway, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
LMFAO reading your posts from a few months ago about your 2019 Hemi Pursuit AWD. I stumbled upon this thread searching for info on replacement tires; another thread topic, obviously, but...

Wanted to chime here regarding the AWD suspension on the Pursuits. First, my story in brief: I just purchased a 2018 Hemi Pursuit AWD sight unseen from a dealer (probably foolish, I know). 3 months ago, my 2012 was totaled in a rear end collision. I was sitting at a stoplight at night with my 11-year old daughter next to me (I letter her ride up front, thank God), when a 25-year old twit slammed into the back of my car at an estimated 65 mph. My daughter and I walked away from the wreck, but my beloved Blackberry Pearl Charger was not so fortunate. And while I'm still butt hurt over losing that car, surviving that wreck was a testimony to how solid these cars are.

Anyhow, I did not escape unscathed. After 3 months of physical therapy I am at least able to drive again. I spent 6 weeks trying to find another Pursuit. I wanted a Hemi with RWD. Originally, I planned to purchase a 2014 because I was so used to the last gen body style. However, everyone I found either had very high mileage (i.e. no powertrain warranty), or low miles but a seller who clearly didn't really want to sell, or a sketchy offer that was too good to be true (i.e. B.S. alert - avoid). About the time I was preparing to give up and just hire an Uber whenever I needed a ride, I finally found one out of state. I bought the car from a dealer with <10k miles and while I had seen pics, it was effectively sight unseen.

Now, before the haters chime in telling me how stupid that was, allow to mention that 1) I've owned 3 Charger Pursuit vehicles before (all Hemis) and a Police Tahoe, so I have some idea of how these cars are built, what to watch out for, and how to pick out a good one from a distance. The vehicle I purchased was a single owner Texas car, civi owned (LEO) with no official department use. Plus, I verified warranty expiration dates. Long story short, 10k miles and 26k miles left on the warranty (and up to 2 years). Good enough for me.

Now, back to the ride quality. The one thing I was not expecting was how harsh the rear suspension. I picked up the vehicle in north Texas and drove it home ~200 highway miles. OMG that rear end is harsh going over bumps, as you mentioned. My 2012 was never that tight. OTOH, that car will corner at high speed like you just robbed the local Wells Fargo and need to GTFO. So, I would say preliminarily that I agree it's a trade-off.

Bottom line is I'm adding my input to yours in the sense prospective buyers should take this into consideration. I've had the car a few days now, and I can already sell the wife is NOT going to like riding in this thing (perhaps not a bad thing... LoL). I'm sure if I tossed a few hundred pounds of sand in the trunk it would ride better. My old Ford F-250 was like that. Those tough springs sometimes just need some weight to get them where they want to be. Downside is that would of course likely reduce MPG.

When I owned a 2010, I swapped out the exhaust (installed a discarded Challenger exhaust system) and the shocks and springs after I got it past the factory warranty. I may very well do the same thing to this 2018's suspension when that time comes. We'll see. Either way, I have no regrets for now. :)

Cheers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I've got my baby back..
baby back
baby back....

Took a while. Two months in a good local shop. There was some frame damage, trunk floor was replaced, right side exhaust replaced. Both quarters pulled out. Trunk lid replaced. Rear driveshaft replaced. Battery case was cracked in the impact and spilled acid onto the wiring harness and fuse box. Both replaced. Tail panel and rear bumper replaced. Trunk floor cover replaced. All codes cleared. No airbags went off so no issues there. Rear differential assembly had to be removed to get at the trunk floor. Everything was put back together within factory specs. Body shop then Dodge dealer worked on the car. Had her on the road for two weeks now. Smooth as silk. I also added the rear spoiler when I got her back. So, $15,000 later, she's back in stack. The other guys insurance footed the bill.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've grown accustom to the rough ride but I will add that the leather seat covers out of the Chrysler 300 I installed soften things up a bit. My wife doesn't mind so much now that's she's sitting on leather. The carpeting also quiets the car interior a little. That said, I'd never put a bag with a dozen eggs into the trunk knowing I'm going to hit rough roads. Be a nice start of an omelet by the time I got home. Even so, this car is a beast and I love it.... again!

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Greg:
Glad to hear you are back on the road. I guess it's a good thing I am not an insurance adjuster by day. I gotta say, I figured there might be another grand or two in hidden damage, but not another $10K! It's good that it's such a new car, or they might have tried to total it on you.

Hopefully this will be your one bump in the road of what will be a long, happy, ownership of this Charger.

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've grown accustom to the rough ride but I will add that the leather seat covers out of the Chrysler 300 I installed soften things up a bit. My wife doesn't mind so much now that's she's sitting on leather. The carpeting also quiets the car interior a little. That said, I'd never put a bag with a dozen eggs into the trunk knowing I'm going to hit rough roads. Be a nice start of an omelet by the time I got home. Even so, this car is a beast and I love it.... again!

Greg
Did you get new upholstery or just put seat covers over the seats?

I can't decide which to get. Came across this in my research: Seat Covers vs Katzkin | Custom-Fit Leather Seat Covers | Katzkin

I know they're biased but I'm curious about your seats.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I would be interested in seeing how accurate the CARFAX is on that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Did you get new upholstery or just put seat covers over the seats?

I can't decide which to get. Came across this in my research: Seat Covers vs Katzkin | Custom-Fit Leather Seat Covers | Katzkin

I know they're biased but I'm curious about your seats.
i bought a set of complete seats out of a Chrysler 300 S. The back seats went in no problem. The fronts I had to swap seat covers from the Chrysler seats to the Charger cop seats.

I went to your link. They want $1,895 for leather seats. I've only got $300 in mine. I found the seats on car-part.com.

Greg

21 - 28 of 28 Posts