Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My quest has FINALLY come to an end! I’ll tell you about it.

I’ve been in the hunt for an AWD Hemi Charger Pursuit for nearly ayear. Searched Autotrader, Cars.com,CarGuru, you name it. I found more than a few with low mileages but also a few with suspicious backgrounds. Only one was ever near me. I live in Massachusetts. Last October, I contacted a dealer in New Jersey that had a 2017 Pursuit. Via email they assured me the car was available. I drove down the next day and when I get there, the salesman informed me the car had been sold the week before. Strike one..

I also had multiple conversations with a dealer in Indiana for a Pursuit they had listed in the Used Car section of their website. I stayed in contact with them nearly a month. To get to them, I’d have to book a flight to get there. However, just before I was going to pull the trigger on that endeavor, I called the salesdept to make sure the car was available. Salesman said it was, but then I heard a voice in the background yell “Hey,we can’t sell that one. It’s a cop car!” Apparently sales never talked to the Fleet manager about the car. Dealer can’t sell you a cop car straight from Chrysler. I knew that but the sales guy didn’t know that. Strike two…

An ad popped up for a 2018 Pursuit in Missouri for a good price with 12,000 miles on it. I immediately contacted the seller. We kept in touch and I was, again, going to make arrangements to fly there to look and maybe buy the car. I texted the guy several times but he suddenly went silent. Bad sign. He got back to me after a day or two to tell me the car had sold. Strike three… Almost…

At this point I started checking out Charger SXT’s locally. My 2010 Challenger has 346,000 miles on it (that’s not a misprint) but she’s, as we say in the business, EOL (End of Life). As frustrated as I was, I still had the Pursuit in the back of my mind. But, I needed a car. A few days passed after the guy in Missouri had contacted me when I got another text message from him. He had a 2019 AWD Hemi Charger Pursuit, Silver with 11,000 miles on it ready to be “de-commisioned”. Would I be interested? YOU GOT WHAT??

Well, we talked, he held the car for me. Didn’t advertise it. Cost me $25,000 even. The guy is the Fleet manager for a private security company and they’re moving out the Charger’s and switching to Ford Explorers. Granted, 25K is probably close to what they paid for it new, but, at least I got a car with a full service history and most important, a full remaining factory warranty. So I flew out, checked out the car, paid him and drove it home.

Now, if you want my impressions of the car, I’ll start another thread. Needless to say, a Pursuit is really an acquired taste. Make sure you test drive one over bumpy roads to see if this is REALLY what you want. Anyway, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Alright now. I’ve had the car three whole days and put nearly 1400 miles on it. Yes, that’s a lot in a very short period of time. After I bought it, I drove if from Missouri to Cleveland, spent the weekend with family, then pressed on from Cleveland to Massachusetts. For anyone contemplating buying a Pursuit for a daily driver, be warned. This car is a big, stinky brutal brahma bull of a machine that wants to take a dump in your garage and dare you to clean it up!

It’s not really a car in the sense you’d expect. Think about it. A car, you slide into every day, load up the kids for activities, take Aunt Masie to get groceries. That’s normal stuff. A Pursuit? You load up a small child in a baby seat and hit a patch of bad road,that poor thing might get whiplash after a couple of miles. The thing that makes this car so GOOD also conspires to make it so BAD. The suspension is super stiff. You can throw the Pursuit around corners at speed (I’ve done it!) and with the Hemi and AWD, she sticks to the road. Hit an on or off ramp REAL fast, the tires screech but she’ll hold the line safe, flat and steady. Love it! Push on the gas and the Hemi jumps. Yee haw!

But, for every up, there’s a down… Listen to me.

When this jewel hits a rough patch of road, you’re going to wonder just why the Hell you bought this thing. Every bump, tramline, ripple, pothole, expansion joint or crack, you’re going to feel it. The Pursuit suspension doesn’t so much soak up bumps as transmit them to your lower spine though the seat. If the road is REALLY bad, your head and shoulders are going to be thrown around with some measure of violence! That’s no joke. Be grateful you’re strapped in. After my first drive with my wife yesterday, she announced she hates it. I’ve since dubbed my car “The Boobshaker”. Use your imagination.

Now, I’m comparing my 2019 Pursuit to my 2010 Challenger SE. Same basic chassis but with a different suspension. It’s a whole different animal. Soaks up bumps, semi-sedate and well mannered. I’m sure the new Charger SXT’s are similar. But then, those are CARS. Real cars. A Pursuit is not a REAL car. I think it’s like a Home Depot axe being compared to a surgical scapel. They both cut but each cuts in a different way. YOU just have to decide how you want to cut. After all, this is a police PURSUIT vehicle. What did you expect?

It so happens, I can live with it. It’s the only way a Hemi is paired up with AWD these days. That’s what I really wanted. Well, I got it. No center console, I can get one. Sound system needs help, I can get new speakers. No Sirius XM, get one. Front seats need support, junkyard set. No fold down back seat,ditto. Rear spoiler, ditto. Road wheels, swap those off of my Challenger. Bonus, the Challenger 3.5L V6 never got better than 25 MPG over the course of it's life. The Hemi Pursuit is getting 26.5 MPG so far! Nine years between models has brought much improved technology.

So the Pursuit is like a blank canvas. Go big, or leave it alone.

My two cents. You've been warned.

Oh, before I forget. My car has a spotlight. Be prepared for people to do WEIRD things when they pull out to pass you on the highway. More than a few times, someone would pull out to pass, come up even with me, see the spotlight and suddenly slow down and drop back. That happened a LOT. :)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Nice report and I didn't realize they rode so stiff. Not sure about the front springs but I'm sure the rears are super stiff to hold all the gear and prisoner lol so a simple rear spring change night do wonders for the ride. Those RSA-2 tires aren't the best riding either, what's their pressure?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
The Car isn't so bad, it's the crap roads they have in Mass: frost heaves and potholes everywhere-there are almost as many of them as there are Dunkin Donuts! Some of their roads are no better than cattle trails..(my wife is from the Boston area)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Congrats. I found it interesting how much different pursuits really are. I read bout them at alpar.com, they were talking about the 2011-14, not sure if it still applies but the roof line is further back, the pillars are thinner, seats sculpted for waist gear, and more...

If you decide to use AlfaOBD to make BCM mods I would be VERY interested in a copy of your stock BCM backup.
They have a police lightingf feature that allows the DIC and cluster to be darkened or say have complete control of the dimmer wheel. Roll it down and when you turn the car off or open a door you don't get blasted by the full brightness cluster..

·
Registered
133 Posts
AlfaOBD allows changes to the BCM? Guessing that it won't work on the newer 2015+ models, heard they are encrypted?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Guessing that it won't work? Not sure what you mean, I just want a file to compare. Have you used AlfaOBD then? Not? Heh!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Guessing that it won't work? Not sure what you mean, I just want a file to compare. Have you used AlfaOBD then? Not? Heh!
nope, haven't touched anything yet... i have been trying to find a good system. the website for alfaOBD says up to 2017... how you like it? just a monitor? or can you change values and enable/disable functions?

·
Registered
817 Posts
If you haven't already go HERE and read the 1st post especially on making backups.

I have a 2013 R/T Plus, and installed and activated a reverse cam & auto dimming door mirror, activated performance pages and sport mode, moved my DRL's to the turn signals, and enabled fogs on with high beams so far.

The reason I want a pursuit BODY_CRYSLER_Info file copy is for the "police lighting feature" settings.
I enabled it on my car but it also kills the trunk button and door lock door buttons.

The possibilities are vast and if you don't tread with caution you can wind up with a tow to the dealer for a BCM re-flash.
Example: One of the Dodge truck boys decided to chance enabling sport mode and rendered the vehicle not derivable. He did not have a backup, he got one of the forum guys with the same truck to spend hours comparing and restoring. You have to know and understand the sales code was available for your particular vehicle.

When you enable or change something in the BCM it can make several scattered setting changes, (why you want to bone up on making backups, especially before you touch anything, and using the Notepad++ compare plugin).

I want to compare mine and a pursuit to see if I can pick it apart buy locating the conditions set for the trunk and door lock buttons and change them separately from the Cluster/DIC thumb wheel control.
It may well enable thumb wheel "Full Off" to be set or not set, and then render trunk button and door lock button to "Not Set". I need to get my hands on a pursuit BODY_CRYSLER_Info file copy.

Tip for sport mode and performance pages.
Not available for 2011

Choose Dodge Charger LD / Body Computer / Select Control Unit "Bodycomputer MY2013 (your year model) / Touch the car with hood up icon / Select procedure to start / scroll down to and select "car configuration change" / Select Option button / scroll down, select and enable, Performance pages present, Vehicle is an SRT, Sport Mode present.

Do not select 3 mode SRT. If you have the active suspension and the like it will already be present. If you enable it it will make sport mode and pages usless. Leave it alone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No center console, I can get one. Sound system needs help, I can get new speakers. No Sirius XM, get one.

Oh, before I forget. My car has a spotlight. Be prepared for people to do WEIRD things when they pull out to pass you on the highway. More than a few times, someone would pull out to pass, come up even with me, see the spotlight and suddenly slow down and drop back. That happened a LOT. :)
I have the same spotlight issue, my local township has all back cars like mine and everyone thinks I am one of them. I installed trailer hitch for bike rack and just did an 800 mile road trip with four adults, four suit cases, and four mountian bikes. Car was great, Nivomat shocks worked wonderful with the load. Highway ride with weight was great. My new console setup work great, A/C to rear with a charger port for the kids. Just added ceramic window tint to the rear windows and that really helps the inside temperatures. I love my car!
WP_20190627_07_47_29_Rich_LI.jpg

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you haven't already go HERE and read the 1st post especially on making backups.

I have a 2013 R/T Plus, and installed and activated a reverse cam & auto dimming door mirror, activated performance pages and sport mode, moved my DRL's to the turn signals, and enabled fogs on with high beams so far.

The reason I want a pursuit BODY_CRYSLER_Info file copy is for the "police lighting feature" settings.
I enabled it on my car but it also kills the trunk button and door lock door buttons.

The possibilities are vast and if you don't tread with caution you can wind up with a tow to the dealer for a BCM re-flash.
Example: One of the Dodge truck boys decided to chance enabling sport mode and rendered the vehicle not derivable. He did not have a backup, he got one of the forum guys with the same truck to spend hours comparing and restoring. You have to know and understand the sales code was available for your particular vehicle.

When you enable or change something in the BCM it can make several scattered setting changes, (why you want to bone up on making backups, especially before you touch anything, and using the Notepad++ compare plugin).

I want to compare mine and a pursuit to see if I can pick it apart buy locating the conditions set for the trunk and door lock buttons and change them separately from the Cluster/DIC thumb wheel control.
It may well enable thumb wheel "Full Off" to be set or not set, and then render trunk button and door lock button to "Not Set". I need to get my hands on a pursuit BODY_CRYSLER_Info file copy.

Tip for sport mode and performance pages.
Not available for 2011

Choose Dodge Charger LD / Body Computer / Select Control Unit "Bodycomputer MY2013 (your year model) / Touch the car with hood up icon / Select procedure to start / scroll down to and select "car configuration change" / Select Option button / scroll down, select and enable, Performance pages present, Vehicle is an SRT, Sport Mode present.

Do not select 3 mode SRT. If you have the active suspension and the like it will already be present. If you enable it it will make sport mode and pages usless. Leave it alone.
Awesome, thanks for the info. Definitely make backups... Think I'm gonna order the software and adapter. Time to get the laptop out...

·
Registered
817 Posts
If you are android I suggest you use the apk. The windows software licensed is locked to the PC you load it on and the apk will run on any android you have a google account on. Its really easier to use also.

I don't care what year you guys have, if any of you use AlfaOBD and are willing to provide me the file I want it would be great.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Six months in and I LOVE this car. We just had two days of solid snow in New England. Up to 10 inches of snow in my inclined driveway. In my RWD Challenger and factory tires, it was always a crap shoot if I could get out without major shoveling to clear a path. Studded tires helped out with that. The AWD Pursuit, with the stock cop tires, I just pulled out and went. No muss, no fuss, not NOTHING! Just... WENT! This car inspires TOTAL confidence on snowy roads. I've still got the Challenger winter studded tires in my garage so I'll switch over to those pretty soon. Just an extra measure. I should have gotten one of these cars years ago.

I've since upgraded the interior with leather seats from a 2015 Chrysler 300S. I couldn't get the seats to work out of the box so I had to swap the front seat covers onto the Pursuit seat frames. No problem. Out with the old, in with the new. Picked up a spare tire donut and trunk floor cover from a local boneyard and put the full sized spare in the garage. Now with the fold down rear seat, I've got lots of space in the trunk. Also added a Charger center console, carpets, floor mats and a Craigslist $30 Sirius XM radio. Just picked up an SRT rear spoiler so that's next on my list. I knew when I got it, the car was going to be a blank canvas that requires building it the way I wanted. She's got just over 36,000 miles on it now, and I'm still smiling. The suspension is still a beast, but I'm good!

Oh, and that spotlight on the car? It sure came in handy more than a few times. I had to take my daughter to an art class at a studio on a long, very dark road at a town over the hill. That spot helped me find the driveway. I was considering taking it off, but not now!

So, if you want a Pursuit, please weigh what you really want, what you can do yourself and what you're willing to live without. Every time I make an upgrade, the first thought that comes into my head is "Geeze, I could have gotten a regular Charger and had all of this". However, when I mash the throttle and hear the Hemi bark, I think "DAMN, I'm SO glad I got this ride!".

Greg

PS, one thing I wish it had is some form of automated climate control. You know, set the temp to 72 degrees and forget it, the system keeps the car at that temp no matter how hot or cold it is outside. That feature is in a civilian Charger. With the Pursuit, you have to fiddle with the A/C setting on a hot day and the heater on a cold day. Like it's 1972 all over again. That has gotten annoying, but, it's what I've learned to live with it. Did I mention it has a Hemi and all wheel drive. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've since upgraded the interior with leather seats from a 2015 Chrysler 300S. I couldn't get the seats to work out of the box so I had to swap the front seat covers onto the Pursuit seat frames. No problem. Out with the old, in with the new.
What was this seat cover swap process like? I have the seats from an RT so I could swap the covers on to my pursuit seats as you did? Since the wiring is so much different. Was there any issue with the rear fold down? Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What was this seat cover swap process like? I have the seats from an RT so I could swap the covers on to my pursuit seats as you did? Since the wiring is so much different. Was there any issue with the rear fold down? Thanks!
Just follow along:

Greg

:)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, that was quick. Got rear ended yesterday by a guy in a 1997 Mercury Sable wagon. His fault. So, I get to spend Christmas wondering how all of this will shake out. No injuries thank goodness. Hope it's not totaled. Took me a while to get this one. It's crunch time. Dang!

Greg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Does not look too bad. I would guess $5Kish including the rental car his (hopefully good) insurance should be providing.
Being a '19, I would be VERY surprised if it was totaled. They will usually pay 80-85% of the current book value before totaling it.

Don

1 - 20 of 28 Posts