Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No air bags deployed just damage to the front bumper and grill and frame bent. And radiator smashed. They say they are totaling it because of a torn belt on the engine. I think it’s suspicious to totaled it so they can make money off it.

Attachments

· Registered
735 Posts
Ask them the amount they have for the repairs and ask them to provide the value of the vehicle. Start there. Depends on the state but if the repair cost is about 80% of it's value, they'd consider it to be a total loss.

I'm not sure why you'd think totaling out a vehicle allows an insurance company to "make money". The salvage value is never going to be more then the value prior to the accident.

· Premium Member
3,131 Posts
Jabby:
Welcome to the forum. Year and mileage would be helpful. Is this through your insurance, or another parties? Typically, insurance will spend in the neighborhood of 75-85% of the current book value of the car to put it back on the road.
Some unusual circumstances we have at this moment, are supply chain issues, labor shortages, etc.
We had a company car recently repaired due to a moderate crash, and it took 3 months.

You mentioned frame damage. The Chargers don't have a full frame, instead they have a front and rear partial frame/cradle. If yours is damaged to the point it would cost too much to properly repair, that would justify totaling it.

Don

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jabby:
Welcome to the forum. Year and mileage would be helpful. Is this through your insurance, or another parties? Typically, insurance will spend in the neighborhood of 75-85% of the current book value of the car to put it back on the road.
Some unusual circumstances we have at this moment, are supply chain issues, labor shortages, etc.
We had a company car recently repaired due to a moderate crash, and it took 3 months.

You mentioned frame damage. The Chargers don't have a full frame, instead they have a front and rear partial frame/cradle. If yours is damaged to the point it would cost too much to properly repair, that would justify totaling it.

Don
It’s a 21 with 19k they said they were thinking about fixing it but when they seen the belt on the engine torn, they didn’t want to because they did not want to start repairing it and more issues come along

· Registered
5,726 Posts
It’s a 21 with 19k they said they were thinking about fixing it but when they seen the belt on the engine torn, they didn’t want to because they did not want to start repairing it and more issues come along
Did you ask what the serpentine belt being ripped off has to do with them totalling the car? Did the motor run for any significant time with the belt off?

As mentioned, I'd ask to see their repair cost estimates and totals to see where they're at.

· Registered
823 Posts
It could be that they're seeing something else on the front of the engine damaged and worried the engine took some of the impact and have damage also. Question them about what's going on.
They won't make money on it. They pay you more then they'll get for it. It's dealing with repairs that exceed the value of the car that they want to avoid.

· Registered
7,577 Posts
Instruct them to proceed with the repair. Your insurance company is simply trying to cut what is now an non existent unknown. As soon as this is resolved I would consider another carrier if they string you along without solid justification.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Instruct them to proceed with the repair. Your insurance company is simply trying to cut what is now an non existent unknown. As soon as this is resolved I would consider another carrier if they string you along without solid justification.

How do I get them to proceed with the repair if they want to totaled it?

· Registered
233 Posts
The way insurance works:

Assume a $50,000 car is damaged.
Assume $40,000 to repair.
Assume $10,000 scrap value.

So insurance can repair for $40,000 and you get your repaired car back.
Or...
Insurance company pays you $50,000 (totaling the car) and gets $10,000 selling the scrapped car.

Either way, the insurance company is out $40,000 and you are "made whole."

The adjuster does not actually use a value like 70% or 80%. The adjuster looks at car value, cost to repair, and scrap value. The adjuster decides based on the bottom line to the insurance company. But the decision one way or the other is usually around that percentage.

This is not the insurance company ripping off the car owner, it is a simple business decision.

Now with this knowledge, assume the car is worth $20,000. With $40K in repairs, that car will be totaled. No question. Even if the scrap value is $0, it is cheaper to total it.

Now assume it is a $100,000 car, still a 40K repair, and a higher $25K scrap value. This car will be repaired.

There are complicating factors such as repair backlog, parts not available, and undiscovered damage until repairs begin. But the basic math is the biggest factor in an insurance repair-or-total decision.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The way insurance works:

Assume a $50,000 car is damaged.
Assume $40,000 to repair.
Assume $10,000 scrap value.

So insurance can repair for $40,000 and you get your repaired car back.
Or...
Insurance company pays you $50,000 (totaling the car) and gets $10,000 selling the scrapped car.

Either way, the insurance company is out $40,000 and you are "made whole."

The adjuster does not actually use a value like 70% or 80%. The adjuster looks at car value, cost to repair, and scrap value. The adjuster decides based on the bottom line to the insurance company. But the decision one way or the other is usually around that percentage.

This is not the insurance company ripping off the car owner, it is a simple business decision.

Now with this knowledge, assume the car is worth $20,000. With $40K in repairs, that car will be totaled. No question. Even if the scrap value is $0, it is cheaper to total it.

Now assume it is a $100,000 car, still a 40K repair, and a higher $25K scrap value. This car will be repaired.

There are complicating factors such as repair backlog, parts not available, and undiscovered damage until repairs begin. But the basic math is the biggest factor in an insurance repair-or-total decision.

Alright. So what would be the process of me getting or buying my car from the insurance company?

· Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
2,372 Posts
That’s crazy! They are fixing my sons 19 SXT with 26k miles. Workup was around $16k. I think the others are correct and the unknown is scaring your company off.

It’s been a month and half now, was supposed to be finished Nov 25, still waiting.

• Wow
Reactions: jc5013058

· Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
2,372 Posts
14k couldn’t be 80% of the vehicle I can’t imagine it would be.. but I have no idea in that aspect tbh
It’s not, there’s no way. We’re all speculating at the point though, because we don’t know what the adjuster wrote up. I agree the others and I think they are afraid of what “ might” have happened to the engine. Either that or the adjuster is just a tool.

@Jabby425978 which insurance company?

Reactions: Callahan843

· Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
1,130 Posts
It’s not, there’s no way. We’re all speculating at the point though, because we don’t know what the adjuster wrote up. I agree the others and I think they are afraid of what “ might” have happened to the engine. Either that or the adjuster is just a tool.

@Jabby425978 which insurance company?
I understand the car market is being flooded right now and values are going down but still no way like you said though we’re all speculating. I’d definitely go against it and see

1 - 20 of 31 Posts