Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of those creaking seat backs. After searching and reading, I determined my problem was due to the active head restraint mechanism as others have also found. When I lean back on the seat, it partially moves the mechanism. By having my wife sit in the seat and lean back, I found the creak was coming from the metal pipes sliding up through the plastic bushings as indicated in the photo. The photo is looking up into the seat back. I put a lot of heavy silicone grease (spark plug boot lubricant) around the pipe, pushing the grease into the bushing. (and cut my finger in several places on the sharp metal) Then I pulled on the mechanism and pushed the headrest forward to slide the pipes up into the bushings and spread the grease. Hurray! So far the seat back is quiet. I'll let you know if the noise returns.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hope that's a solid fix, especially for those out of warranty. Mine was creaking and squeaking really bad within the first 300 miles. After my pos local dealer failed at fixing it (said they lubed all pivot points), I racked my brain trying to figure this out and ended up doing the zip tie trick for a while, but it only helped a little bit and actually made the Lower lumbar portion pretty uncomfortable. After months of this and constantly thinking that I should not have to rig something up on a new car, I finally went to a different dealer and they replaced the seat back frame under warranty. These seats construction (at least the lower models) are garbage.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOOHOO! Drove around today in stop and go traffic where the noise was worst and never a squeak. Silence is golden.

·
Registered
99 Posts
WOOHOO! Drove around today in stop and go traffic where the noise was worst and never a squeak. Silence is golden.
Cool! I know that crap is very annoying during stop and go traffic. Please update if anything changes. Thanks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put up with it for 2 months. That was all I could stand.
Some people have used plastic wire ties with various results (probably aligning the metal tubes better inside the bushings). Others have sprayed lube on all the hinges and spring ends and still have the creak. Some people had the dealers changing out the seat.
I wonder if anyone else has put the grease in the right spot? It is up inside the seat back and difficult to see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the dealer repair under warranty, they had to order some special grease (that was on back order) and apply it to the correct spot. On the first try they missed it, but the second try they got it right.

Now the only squeaks are the leather rubbing.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was three trips to the dealer for something that every shop should be prepared to fix the first time based on the number of complaints on this forum. There are stories here about dealers replacing seats and tracks and still having this problem. As for me, I hate taking my car in for service, especially when some "mechanic in name only" is messing with it. In over 40 years I have had more problems with "certified mechanics" than with all the blundering I have done on my own.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts