Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So from 0-20 MPH when my 2015 V6 Awd Charger shifts it makes a whooshing noise and thumps and bumps. After I get past 20 MPH the shifting is smooth as butter.

42,000 miles on the car, Rear Differential changed with Valvoline last week, Haven't touched the transfer case fluid (if it even has a transfer case), haven't touched the front differential fluid.

Do you all think this is fluid related in the transmission or differentials or is it a drive axle actuator or something else. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Chase:
Your AWD Charger does have a transfer case made by Borg Warner. At 42K, you should still have powertrain warranty left. I would get to your favorite dealer, and let them fix you up. So far (knock on wood), I have seen no issues with my '14 R/T and it's AWD system.

BTW, the front axle is considered to be filled for life unless there is an issue. I understand that it can be serviced, but there is only a fill plug, and no drain plug. Removing the old gear oil is not an easy task.

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chase:
Your AWD Charger does have a transfer case made by Borg Warner. At 42K, you should still have powertrain warranty left. I would get to your favorite dealer, and let them fix you up. So far (knock on wood), I have seen no issues with my '14 R/T and it's AWD system.

BTW, the front axle is considered to be filled for life unless there is an issue. I understand that it can be serviced, but there is only a fill plug, and no drain plug. Removing the old gear oil is not an easy task.

Don
So this is most likely transfer case related you think?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Not necessarily. When AWD is active, there are quite a few more parts receiving engine power, ie, front drive shaft and its U joints, front axle, front half shafts, etc. The fact it lessens or goes away as speed increases makes me think U joint or wheel bearing.

Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chase,
Have you determined the cause of the issue you were experiencing? I am having the same issue with my 2016 SXT AWD Charger. This includes the whooshing sound and hard thumps as if the transmission is banging into gear. However, the issue persists when the gear is locked with manual shifting. It only occurs in AWD as well. Any update is appreciated.

George

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
GM:
Hopefully you are under 60K, and your power train warranty is still good. If so, a trip to the dealer is in order.

Don

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Chase,
Have you determined the cause of the issue you were experiencing? I am having the same issue with my 2016 SXT AWD Charger. This includes the whooshing sound and hard thumps as if the transmission is banging into gear. However, the issue persists when the gear is locked with manual shifting. It only occurs in AWD as well. Any update is appreciated.

George
Hello George,
Have you considered addressing this concern with your dealer? If you decide to go this route and are interested in additional assistance please reach out to us privately.
Laura
DodgeCares

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Trust me, the front diff is not filled for life. The fluid in my replacement diff from Chrysler had fluid the looked and ran like coffee after 3k miles. Get yourself a cheap transfer pump from harbor freight, suck out the old fluid, and fill it back up with fresh stuff.

And I hope you have better luck than I did with Chrysler and getting your awd issue figured out. All they (dealerships and corporate) did was dick around until my warranty expired. And dodgecares doesn't give a shit about anybody on here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately I am over the 60k mark. My plan is to trouble shoot what I can before breaking down and going to the dealership. I am going to put it up on the lift soon to replace fluids and do a once over on everything. I replaced the wheel bearings recently so that is not the issue. It might be my imagination but the issue seems to be worse when it is wet outside. Could there possibly be a sensor or something electrical responsible for the AWD acting as I described?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
check for slop in the driveshaft. check for slop in the cv axles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts