Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i have a 3.5L SE, and EVERY time i get out of the car and go to close the door, my car shocks me pretty good. I have asked passengers if they feel the shock as well, and no one ever has. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
maybe your a super hero and dont know it!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Dont take this the wrong way but change your detergant for your clothes and your static sheets in your dryer.
Dead serious.
cars that have bad grounds or missing grounds can do this to some people but the issue would be felt by the other passengers. The only way to verify its not just you and that it is the car is to make sure another passenger leaves the car first before you. If your leaving first then you are discharging the static yourself prior to them and there is no energy left to discharge. If they leave first and fine, and then you still get zapped, you've just ruled out both them and the car leaving you, which really the only difference is the clothes scientifically.
I know this seems off the wall and stupid but you've kinda just gotta trust me on this one. I've seen it a million times in life.

·
Registered
480 Posts
its a static thing

if you have cloth interior, it will do that, and it will hurt a lot of the time. I had that on my old jeep cherokee, i "fixed" it by adding a ground cable (basically a copper wire that is coated in rubber that hangs from something metal on the frame and touches the ground). and it happened less..... otherwise, get leather, wont ever happen, unless ur wearing heavy fleece or something like that guy up there was saying....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Happens all the time here in the Desert "Static Electricity"

·
Registered
28 Posts
My good old Hilux used to do it (only to me) every time I was wearing a woolen sweater.

That is actually a very dangerous thing. If that tiny spark will happen to shock you at the petrol station when you are filling your car and the fumes are coming out of fuel tank next to your hand ......

Make sure you get shocked before you open a fuel cap.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Easy/Cheap way to fix this problem. Take a dryer sheet and rub that over your seat or get some static guard in a spray can and spray your seat with that, but make sure you get the unscented stuff. It will keep you from getting the static buildup while you are driving. Otherwise, touch your leg to the doorsill before you grab the door with your hand and it won't hurt (not as many nerve endings on the back of your calf as in your fingers). These are just a few quick home remedies for the problem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's frequent. I can't explain with english word but you can understand in wikipédia. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
So, i have a 3.5L SE, and EVERY time i get out of the car and go to close the door, my car shocks me pretty good. I have asked passengers if they feel the shock as well, and no one ever has. Any ideas?
That's hilarious! I have the same problem! Every single time I get out of my car, the door shocks the crap out of me haha! It's like our car is telling us not to go...

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
its a known thing and its been discussed several thousand threads before

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
its a known thing and its been discussed several thousand threads before
I could find any of these thousands of threads, well I found one oh well. You do seem cranky, have a beer. :beer_yum: :beerchug:

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Mine was shocking me for a while until I had it fixed. Watch your instrument cluster and see if the shock is enough to clear it or make your radion cut out. Here is the TSB that the dealer did to stop the shocking. http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB/TSB_0804906.pdf

Let us know what happens

1 - 17 of 17 Posts