Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my engine needs to be rebuilt. 2012 superbee. I love it until this. I know this has been an issue on these engines. I am broke and obviously it sucks that the car I spent $50,000 on is going to cost me another $5000 I dont have. Has anyone gotten any money back for these issues that are frequently happening with these hemis? Or am I just screwed?!

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Mason:
Welcome to the forum. What is the issue? Are we talking lifters and maybe a cam? If caught early, many times the engine can be saved.

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also thanks for these forums. They were helpful in me figuring out that I wasn't alone in these problems and I probably couldn't fix it myself unless I learned a lot and had plenty of free time and money. Of which I have zero lol

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Also thanks for these forums. They were helpful in me figuring out that I wasn't alone in these problems and I probably couldn't fix it myself unless I learned a lot and had plenty of free time and money. Of which I have zero lol
if it’s just cam and lifters I think you could fix it yourself with help/guidance from a local Mopar buddy. Check local clubs.

I rebuilt an entire Chevy V8 in my younger days. Back when they had electronic carbs and BS air injection crap. I had to change all that.

With Fuel Injecrion these motors are fairly clean. I would pull the intake manifold and the heads and see what I had. Not sure how many miles you have on it but I’d be considering pulling the block and updating the bottom also.

What you have is still gold. They want $30k for your car. If it’s paid off take a car loan to rebuild it better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a beautiful car. Looks better than the new ones I think. I will post a pic when I get it back. It's black with silver stripes. I have only ever seen one other on the road. I have no time to rebuild and they are giving me a 2 year warranty on their work. I am broke and busy. Terrible combination but being an adult is rough. Just checking to see if anyone knows a way to possibly recoup some money

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Brand new SRT8 Superbee in 2012 ...
Car & Driver report:
PRICE AS TESTED: $43,450 (base price: $43,450)

Add any available options, dealer add-ons, sales tax, registration/title fees, etc ... could put you close to $50K

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
When did you pay $50k for a Super Bee? My 2013 had an original MSRP of $46k and I purchased for $27k with 58k miles in 2016.

I had the cam and lifter issue 3.5 years ago at 101k miles. Cost me about $2,700 at a shop and I'm at 165k miles now.

If you don't have $5k and don't want to use a credit card, if the vehicle is paid off then selling may be an option.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
If you can't afford the money to rebuild the motor, you probably can't afford the gas to drive it around. Maybe time to re-evaluate your priorities. But anyway....

Yes, there do appear to be a fair amount of issues posted here, but that's to be expected. Most happy people with no problems don't appear to spend a lot of time on the forums. You don't mention the mileage or maintenance history. If I was in your situation, I'd have it fixed by someone who knows what they're doing. How do you know what's wrong with it? Did a shop look at it? Are you going by what you are reading online?

Best,

·
Registered
736 Posts
If you can't afford the money to rebuild the motor, you probably can't afford the gas to drive it around. Maybe time to re-evaluate your priorities. But anyway....

Yes, there do appear to be a fair amount of issues posted here, but that's to be expected. Most happy people with no problems don't appear to spend a lot of time on the forums. You don't mention the mileage or maintenance history. If I was in your situation, I'd have it fixed by someone who knows what they're doing. How do you know what's wrong with it? Did a shop look at it? Are you going by what you are reading online?

Best,
My exact thoughts also!! I call BS

2019 R/T Scat Pack Plus

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's at 85000 miles and this has been the only thing that has gone wrong with the car. I am not sure what the BS is about but yeah I am having the dealership do it and like I said a 2 year warranty is pretty good so I guess I will just put it on my credit card. Thanks everyone and bless you all!

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
It's at 85000 miles and this has been the only thing that has gone wrong with the car. I am not sure what the BS is about but yeah I am having the dealership do it and like I said a 2 year warranty is pretty good so I guess I will just put it on my credit card. Thanks everyone and bless you all!

Keep in mind with having a dealer do it, you're probably paying $2,000 more or so to have it done.

I was quoted $4,500 to have the dealer to it 3+ years ago, my local shop who I've gone to for years did it for $2,700.

If you have a trusted local guy maybe get a quote there. Used all OEM parts for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I am definitely paying more at the dealership but it's a better warranty. One local shop turned me away and another said they couldn't even look at it until towards end of October. At least now I will have it back in a few days and can drive it before winter! It's already been sitting for almost 2 months.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Yeah I am definitely paying more at the dealership but it's a better warranty. One local shop turned me away and another said they couldn't even look at it until towards end of October. At least now I will have it back in a few days and can drive it before winter! It's already been sitting for almost 2 months.

I'd be willing to bet it's going to be in the shop for more than 2 days. Hopefully not, but my bet is it will be. Mine was in the shop for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,721 Posts
Cam & Lifters in a day? Better get up early.......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts