Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I don't know a lot about cars, and have a few quick questions.

First off: I got a 2013 Charger SE, it's a fleet model I got used.

1: There is an insanely bright blue LED (only blinks when the car is off) on some remote-switch looking thing screwed into the plastic on the underside of the wheel. It has a button on it and appears to do nothing (including the button). I can unplug it and don't notice any change except the car honks quickly four times whenever I exit. I'm not finding it in the user manual or in a google search. Does anyone know what it is? Is it stock or did whoever used to own the car get some aftermarket doo-dad?

2: Speaking of the four quick honks whenever I exit: This seems to be a "something's wrong" type alarm, as in it goes off if I leave the cabin/head lights on or something. But more recently it's started going off for no discernable reason about 20% of the time I exit the vehicle. Any ideas as to why? Is there a way to disable it?

3: The burglar alarm is EXTREMELY sensitive. I have to close the doors gingerly or there's a 40% chance it will go off from the "impact" of the door closing. If I take people for a ride it pretty much always goes off as people are used to slamming car doors. Is there a way to just disable it?

4: I tried messing with the options in the menu, but I cannot for the life of me get the car to stop honking when I used the keyless entry or lock the doors with the button either inside the door panel (when the door is open) or on the door handle.

I really like the car, but the thing makes so much noise from the reasons mentioned in 2, 3, and 4, I feel like my neighbors are going to lynch me before too long. I've even been joking with friends I'm just going to have the horn removed (is that even a thing?).

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
It sounds aftermarket equipment is the root of your problems. I suggest photos of the mystery device. Perhaps someone will recognize it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I can't remember what was finally figured out, but that type of device was posted here before. Definitely after market and probably the root of all you issues

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I'll see if I can find an old thread about one of those to see if it helps

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
It looks like it's an after market security system. That button is the valet button. Check this thread on another forum.
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-general-discussion/171185-what-heck-thing-under-dash-2.html

That would explain all the fuss it's making.

That is what I would have suggested, that it is an aftermarket alarm!

I work for a different manufacturer's dealer, in sales and we used to have something like that!

When you hit the button on the key remote to unlock, it would beep twice.

When you went to lock it, it beeped once.

If the alarm had ever been set off when you were gone, it would beep four times when you unlocked your doors. You would then know to walk around the vehicle to check to make sure everything is okay!

The valet button that is pictured is usually for valet mode when you valet park your vehicle!

Yeah, as mentioned, I would probably have that removed and a better one installed if you have security concerns!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts